Down sizing question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Wake up and resist.
Reaction score
So we've managed our move from 3000 sq ft chapel conversion to very ordinary 800 sq ft small 60s house with shed.
It's a bit like a holiday cottage; not quite how we would have set up the place ourselves but quite cosy, some things good, some not.
But with the nightmarish extra dimension that we seem to have brought ALL our possessions on holiday with us! Everything we own! A lifetimes collection of rubbish! Every single little bit! Mostly in cardboard boxes.
Discovered how the downstairs bog works - press handle down and let go immediately - or you get half a flush and big floaters.
Now into phase 2 and sorting out storage for stuff. A container on a lorry park 8x20 ft. Apparently this is big business - all over the country people are renting storage space to fill with stuff they don't really need. Going rate is £100 per month plus VAT. Massive return possible on an acre of containers.
Getting shed/garage set up as workshop with more power and inverter for 3 phase.
One pending job is to replace all internal doors with plain flush doors, instead of cheapo pine garbage all warped and bent, with grotesque huge brass furniture.
The question is - do plain flush doors come in different qualities? Fire doors are best - heavy and sound proof, but expensive.
What is a good quality cheaper grade? How can you tell?
PS will have nice hand turned knobs or reclaimed brass knobs/handles

Last edited:
We have started "Swedish death cleaning" this involves getting rid of all the stuff and garbage accumulated up to this point in life - so that our children don’t have to. Trouble is Jacob you missed your chance when you were packing to move. It was even worse for me as I am giving up my full size commercial workshop and downsizing- a lot!

I did the clear out 2 years ago just prior to my house move , 4 six yard skip's at a cost of £1k , This clear out reduced my house move cost by £4K , Also as I was filling the skips I had people taking what I was putting in them , Loads of good usable items accumulated over 40 years, I still have far to much stuff.

We have started "Swedish death cleaning" this involves getting rid of all the stuff and garbage accumulated up to this point in life - so that our children don’t have to. Trouble is Jacob you missed your chance when you were packing to move. It was even worse for me as I am giving up my full size commercial workshop and downsizing- a lot!
Dumped loads of stuff. Had the woodburner going for weeks. Ran out of time.

I used to go to Sweden to meet work colleagues.
Never heard of 'death cleaning' there (although aware it's a big topic here) - but I do know many Swedish families have a big 'cottage' in the wilds, often with associated garages etc, all full of generations of 'stuff'.

ps one of my solutions is an allotment with two big sheds - no way I'm going to get 'storage container'

So we've managed our move from 3000 sq ft chapel conversion to very ordinary 800 sq ft small 60s house with shed.
It's a bit like a holiday cottage; not quite how we would have set up the place ourselves but quite cosy, some things good, some not.
But with the nightmarish extra dimension that we seem to have brought ALL our possessions on holiday with us! Everything we own! A lifetimes collection of rubbish! Every single little bit! Mostly in cardboard boxes.
Discovered how the downstairs bog works - press handle down and let go immediately - or you get half a flush and big floaters.
Now into phase 2 and sorting out storage for stuff. A container on a lorry park 8x20 ft. Apparently this is big business - all over the country people are renting storage space to fill with stuff they don't really need. Going rate is £100 per month plus VAT. Massive return possible on an acre of containers.
Getting shed/garage set up as workshop with more power and inverter for 3 phase.
One pending job is to replace all internal doors with plain flush doors, instead of cheapo pine garbage all warped and bent, with grotesque huge brass furniture.
The question is - do plain flush doors come in different qualities? Fire doors are best - heavy and sound proof, but expensive.
What is a good quality cheaper grade? How can you tell?
PS will have nice hand turned knobs or reclaimed brass knobs/handles
Just a thought - if you want all of the doors to be the same then buy them all at the same time as patterns/designs can change even from a known and steady supplier - don't ask how I know! Same with door furniture/locks/hinges

Back