Milwaukee table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teflon70

Reaction score
I Have a Milwaukee tablesaw that has stopped working after 3yrs 5/6 months ish. I sent it to be fixed quote came back at £435, which to me is a uneconomical repair as you can buy a new Milwaukee table saw for £489 with new 3 year warranty! My dilemma is do I buy a new one as I still have 2 x 12amp batteries & stand or do I buy something else? As tbh I'm a hobbiest not a professional carpenter & I don't use thus saw daily or every week for that matter for this saw to of packed up already, its my first Milwaukee product that has left bitter taste in my mouth!

whats the blade size in that machine - just seen 210mm from the link below
Did you want cordless

what do you use the saw for exactly - and would a plunge/track saw be a good alternative and more use

do you have a number of blades for different cuts - so 210mm maybe the choice of replacement - if you have a few
although they are quite cheap from saxtonblades

i'm guessing this is the model you have
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mi...EaBUhAGqy2iSQKTeMo08chQH_cTK64FhoC1D0QAvD_BwE

if you want cordless and buy into a different make, then you will also need batteries and charger and if you have other milwaukee kit that uses the batteries , this maybe a lot more expensive with the batteries - maybe dewalt flexvolt but as i say probably more cost
fror example
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/de...58JBM9rOkJLzZpakdCeVJ1LAIyewk9UBoCQvAQAvD_BwE

evolution mains powered saw will be cheaper - BUT may not be as accurate without a lot of setting up and you may be disappointed , if you are used to the Milwaukee brand and performance
Mains powered , larger blade 255mm
https://shop.evolutionpowertools.co...OuTsaJ3G5F7pwbnKlchodCZmaM2YD7qBoCeWEQAvD_BwE

Milwaukee is a high quality item and so to get the accuracy etc - you may need to spend on the higher value items
as thats what you are used to

Also it seems that to buy another machine with 3 years warranty £50 would be the better choice , as a repair will only have a limited warranty and should it go wrong in the next 3 years , then another cost

personally I would buy a new one for £50 (10%) extra cost

Last edited:
First question is do you need the table saw, you say you don't use it regulary but not for what purpose so maybe there are other options. As ETAF has said, do you actually need cordless and maybe a corded table saw would be better or even a tracksaw if you are doing sheet goods.

This is very much worth watching.
Dean Doherty looks to make his living out of repairing powertools.
I'd give 100x more weight to his opinion than most youtubers when it comes to this.
He doesn't say that Milwaukee are bad tools these days but he does say then aren't being made to be repaired.
If you are a tradesman who will wear them out by the time the warranty expires (and it's a longer warranty in the USA ?) then the economics work.
If you're a weekend warrior and your tool dies a cot death after only 2 hours of use over 3 years, I'd be spitting ....

A few of mine are Milwaukee and I've not had any trouble, but I have heard a couple of different gripes. One neighbour is struggling to get a chop saw repaired after two years of light use (he hadn't registered it) and another who bought a small 18v circular saw. It had a fixed base, which didn't concern him as he only bought it to cut down sheet stuff, but the base was way out of square to the blade. He split gloss paint on it before he could return it.

He doesn't say that Milwaukee are bad tools these days but he does say then aren't being made to be repaired.
I would say that goes for a lot of tools and machinery, they design for manufacture but not for repair and even when you know you could repair the item the parts are not available or just not cost effective to replace. That video does make you question cordless tools, they are more complex when using brushless motors due to the electronic commutation required and those windings were not the best I have seen, maybe because they are low voltage they take less care who knows. I have a very old Bosch 9 inch grinder that is 110 volts which still works perfectly ok and has been used for steel and concrete along with the dust but never an issue with brushes or bearings so maybe a more basic corded tool is better long term value. I do know people in the trades who have got into the mindset of the tools being almost consumable, this includes cement mixers and breakers but then they are priced into one or more jobs so it is the customer who is paying.

A few of mine are Milwaukee and I've not had any trouble, but I have heard a couple of different gripes. One neighbour is struggling to get a chop saw repaired after two years of light use (he hadn't registered it)
I think it's just changing times. Milwaukee had a real reputation for making strong tools and were something the local trades seemed willing to pay for. Older corded and brushed tools that I've used seemed to bear that out but a lot of newer ones have grey plastic where they used to have grey painted aluminium gearboxes.
You just have to be canny. I bought a mains corded Milwaukee portable bandsaw a few months ago : secondhand, heavy and awesome, just like my old Bosch blue and Metabo from years ago.

Hint: check the exploded diagram and parts list before buying something really pricey. On a high end Bosch cordless I found it uses an all-in-one moulding containing all the electronics fuflly encapsulated. From trigger, electronic motor drive, charger and battery contacts, LED, reversing switches the lot. Reliability will be great with no exposed wires or connections but that one part can't be fixed and costs as much as a new drill.

whats the blade size in that machine - just seen 210mm from the link below
Did you want cordless

what do you use the saw for exactly - and would a plunge/track saw be a good alternative and more use

do you have a number of blades for different cuts - so 210mm maybe the choice of replacement - if you have a few
although they are quite cheap from saxtonblades

i'm guessing this is the model you have
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mi...EaBUhAGqy2iSQKTeMo08chQH_cTK64FhoC1D0QAvD_BwE

if you want cordless and buy into a different make, then you will also need batteries and charger and if you have other milwaukee kit that uses the batteries , this maybe a lot more expensive with the batteries - maybe dewalt flexvolt but as i say probably more cost
fror example
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/de...58JBM9rOkJLzZpakdCeVJ1LAIyewk9UBoCQvAQAvD_BwE

evolution mains powered saw will be cheaper - BUT may not be as accurate without a lot of setting up and you may be disappointed , if you are used to the Milwaukee brand and performance
Mains powered , larger blade 255mm
https://shop.evolutionpowertools.co...OuTsaJ3G5F7pwbnKlchodCZmaM2YD7qBoCeWEQAvD_BwE

Milwaukee is a high quality item and so to get the accuracy etc - you may need to spend on the higher value items
as thats what you are used to

Also it seems that to buy another machine with 3 years warranty £50 would be the better choice , as a repair will only have a limited warranty and should it go wrong in the next 3 years , then another cost

personally I would buy a new one for £50 (10%) extra cost
Hi Etaf,
Thanks for your reply, I mainly use for bits of DIY around house & odd occasion at Allotment.
I already have a battery makita track saw that I use also.
I was looking at the Hikoki 36v volt, but that would mean investing in another platform, im already invested in the Milwaukee, Makita & Dewalt battery platforms. I'm an electrician by trade, but can turn my hand to most things...

Last edited:
I would say that goes for a lot of tools and machinery, they design for manufacture but not for repair and even when you know you could repair the item the parts are not available or just not cost effective to replace. That video does make you question cordless tools, they are more complex when using brushless motors due to the electronic commutation required and those windings were not the best I have seen, maybe because they are low voltage they take less care who knows. I have a very old Bosch 9 inch grinder that is 110 volts which still works perfectly ok and has been used for steel and concrete along with the dust but never an issue with brushes or bearings so maybe a more basic corded tool is better long term value. I do know people in the trades who have got into the mindset of the tools being almost consumable, this includes cement mixers and breakers but then they are priced into one or more jobs so it is the customer who is paying.
Tbh Lidl's & Aldi sell some good to with this in mind, not to expensive & 3 year warranty, can't be that bad ..

First question is do you need the table saw, you say you don't use it regulary but not for what purpose so maybe there are other options. As ETAF has said, do you actually need cordless and maybe a corded table saw would be better or even a tracksaw if you are doing sheet goods.
I have been questioning that myself, do I really need Cordless?? I have used it very sporadically over my allotment, which does beg the question do I really need Cordless, not sure...???

A few years ago, during lockdown 1, I took the opportunity to sell all my cordless tools, of various brands, on FB Marketplace. Actually my daughter listed them for me and all sold within hours. I kept only my Milwaukee 18v drill and since then have added a couple more Milwaukee 18v, on the principle of cordless only when absolutely necessary. Drills and drivers, one circular saw and a first fix nailer. Nothing else cordless.
So far no issues and I intend to keep cordless to ‘necessary only’.

Back