Evolution fury table saw £197

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolau

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hobbyist woodworker looking for an affordable table saw for general use

the evolution fury seems to get good ish reviews for an entry level table saw

seems like the fence and the mitre guide might be a bit loose/ flimsy but maybe I can work on those and make my own sled

does anyone have any comments or offer alternatives for around the £200 mark which is a big investment for me

I would rather buy new than second hand and then go buying new blades straight off I think but I have looked at Facebook marketplace and there are plenty about

ta

I purchased second hand with a few of the attached parts missing. I spend a bit of time building an extention top which sits on top, and my own fence which works with that setup. I wasn’t impressed with the stability of the supplied extensions; they seemed incredibly flimsy to me, and would struggle to support anything with any weight to it.

Generally speaking, it is an entry-level saw. It takes time to ensure that the cuts a are square, but it does the job. I try and use the saw as little as possible, but when I need it, it does what I need it to do.

The one thing I’m (which I think will help performance) is swap out the (very old) standard blade with a specific wood-cutting blade. It may be the age of the blade, but I do find the ‘one blade to cut all’ doesn’t always give the cleanest of cuts. I will be changing this this week, so happy to report back if it helps.

as with all blades even new from BIG names can be a bit off.......
I have quite a bit of Evolution stuff and generally they get the job done....
Just got to keep the blades sharp.....
My multi use blade in the chop saw and circ saw cut wood as good as everyhing else....
BUT KEEP EM SHARP.......
I have blades for pallets with nails, man made wood products as well as proper wood........
just get ur jobs organised so as to get the best use from the correct blade.....

PS....find a good blade sharpening firm, some even post .......ask on here for recomends.....
no idea on costs in the UK anymore....
I pay *for any tooth count* on a 10" blade €7 and €9 euro's for anything else bigger....my biggest blade at the mo is 305mm....

with cheaper saws thats without a lot of weight, keep screwed down to something solid........

as with all blades even new from BIG names can be a bit off.......
I have quite a bit of Evolution stuff and generally they get the job done....
Just got to keep the blades sharp.....
My multi use blade in the chop saw and circ saw cut wood as good as everyhing else....
BUT KEEP EM SHARP.......
I have blades for pallets with nails, man made wood products as well as proper wood........
just get ur jobs organised so as to get the best use from the correct blade.....

PS....find a good blade sharpening firm, some even post .......ask on here for recomends.....
no idea on costs in the UK anymore....
I pay *for any tooth count* on a 10" blade €7 and €9 euro's for anything else bigger....my biggest blade at the mo is 305mm....

with cheaper saws thats without a lot of weight, keep screwed down to something solid........
Thank you

I have an Evolution Fury table saw! It belongs I believe to the class of "contractors saws". Infer from that what you will.

The biggest downside is that the little cover that fits over the blade (sorry I don't know the name for it) doesn't sit flush. So for cutting wide stuff it's perfectly fine, but if you cut something narrow chances are it's down the dip and you have a wonky cut. Worse, that cover can't sit level because it lives in an uneven depression.

I made a (very rough) cross cut sled for it and it works well with that, also inspired by one in the "post a pic..." thread, I made a (slightly less rough) straight-cutting jig for it, which is excellent!

My only other experience with a table saw was a big got-its-own-shed one. Based on that I'd say, stability of the fence isn't such a big deal - since it was wobbly but the cuts were always perfectly fine - the Evolution's fence is certainly stiff enough, though I've noticed after some use it does tend to wander along it's rail slightly if doing repeat cuts.

The legs don't feel terribly sturdy. It's not unstable at all, but you can twist it.

It comes with a funky mitre guide.

I like that it's easy to move since I'm having to constantly move things.

But if you want to avoid the disadvantages of a pressed steel top, you better go looking for a solid type one.

I'd be looking for a machine with an induction motor rather than one of those consumable jobs.
Should be able to get somthin half decent for 200 squid.

Good luck
Tom

I have an Evolution Fury table saw! It belongs I believe to the class of "contractors saws". Infer from that what you will.

The biggest downside is that the little cover that fits over the blade (sorry I don't know the name for it) doesn't sit flush. So for cutting wide stuff it's perfectly fine, but if you cut something narrow chances are it's down the dip and you have a wonky cut. Worse, that cover can't sit level because it lives in an uneven depression.

I made a (very rough) cross cut sled for it and it works well with that, also inspired by one in the "post a pic..." thread, I made a (slightly less rough) straight-cutting jig for it, which is excellent!

My only other experience with a table saw was a big got-its-own-shed one. Based on that I'd say, stability of the fence isn't such a big deal - since it was wobbly but the cuts were always perfectly fine - the Evolution's fence is certainly stiff enough, though I've noticed after some use it does tend to wander along it's rail slightly if doing repeat cuts.

The legs don't feel terribly sturdy. It's not unstable at all, but you can twist it.

It comes with a funky mitre guide.

I like that it's easy to move since I'm having to constantly move things.

But if you want to avoid the disadvantages of a pressed steel top, you better go looking for a solid type one.
That’s very helpful

just waiting for prime day tomorrow in case I can save a few quid but that is my next tool purchase- thanks guys

Screenshot-2023-7-10 Electra Beckam Saw Bench in Rhiwbina, Cardiff Gumtree.png

Not sure if this is worth looking at, i.e tilting function and true riving knife ,
I can't filter search on ebay
but is the kinda thing I'd start looking for, as there's a good chance you'd find something much
much nicer
for your budget, though might be 3 phase, so VFD or motor swap needed, or something single phase else needing some work.

All the best
Tom

I purchased second hand with a few of the attached parts missing. I spend a bit of time building an extention top which sits on top, and my own fence which works with that setup. I wasn’t impressed with the stability of the supplied extensions; they seemed incredibly flimsy to me, and would struggle to support anything with any weight to it.

Generally speaking, it is an entry-level saw. It takes time to ensure that the cuts a are square, but it does the job. I try and use the saw as little as possible, but when I need it, it does what I need it to do.

The one thing I’m (which I think will help performance) is swap out the (very old) standard blade with a specific wood-cutting blade. It may be the age of the blade, but I do find the ‘one blade to cut all’ doesn’t always give the cleanest of cuts. I will be changing this this week, so happy to report back if it helps.
I brought one and am happy with my limited skills and what it does for me

only niggle I have is the amount of sawdust that ‘leaks’ out over the floor which I think is a combination of my shop vac and the huge holes in the under blade box to allow the blade to bevel

Latest posts

Back