I think I've screwed up - Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David66

Established Member
Reaction score
I was feeding an Oak board through my Rutland planer thicknesses. The board jammed. Not sure why. I was only taking off 0.5mm. However, it was a short piece, and it may have become twisted....!

Anyway, long story short, despite turning off ASAP, smoke started belching from the machine. At first I thought it was the wood scorching, but the smoke was acrid, and the wood showed no sign of being scorched. However, the machine will not now turn back on. Tried resetting it (which has worked in the past when I tried to take off too much in one pass), but still not working.

Any ideas on what's gone wrong? Do you think it's fixable, or is it busted?

Half way through a project, so doubly frustrating...!

Could you check the motor brushes, they could have arced and need removing, clean up and try again. Maybe a new set.

Did similar on my titan, actually melted motor housing as it was plastic not metal. The stator moved and wrecked the inside armature, so had to get a new planer thicknesses in the end.

Presumably you've checked the plug's fuse where I'm assuming the machine runs through a three pin plug? Slainte.

Presumably you've checked the plug's fuse where I'm assuming the machine runs through a three pin plug? Slainte.
Sadly it's one of the sealed unit plugs, so cant get to it. Will need to cut it of and rewire - don't have a spare plug...!

Sadly it's one of the sealed unit plugs, so cant get to it. Will need to cut it of and rewire - don't have a spare plug...!
You could check the fused live circuit continuity with a meter, or electric screwdriver/mains tester, without cutting it off.

The fuse in sealed plugs normally has a plastic flip up cover you prise off then lift out fuse.

Sounds like the motor has burnt out…you can easily check the armature and field windings with a basic multimeter….lots of info on YouTube….good luck

"Magic Smoke"* is "held in" with miracles and electrickery..if you let it out, it usually requires a miracle , or money, for a new "magic smoke" container. Best not to add any electrickery until you have a new "container" with new "magic smoke" inside.

*"Magic Smoke" smells acrid when it escapes.

presumably could just replace the motor even if it is worst of the worst
True enough but I guess down to cost of parts , down time waiting for said parts ( if available) and age of current machine + any other damage caused by the timber jam against the cost of a new machine- maybe upgrade to a better machine but yes it’s all money 💰 money 💴 and more money .

Thanks all, for your advice.

So, I found the flip up lid for the fuse (duh!), and changed that. Not the fuse. On further investigation, one of the drive belts has broken. I've ordered a new one. Not holding out much hope TBH, but worth a try.

It's a cheap(ish) machine, and I suspect I was asking a bit much of it. I've been gifted some rough sawn oak boards by a friend. They are very old, very dry an "hard as a wh0r'e's heart" ... to quote my friend! Might need to invest in a beefier machine.

A broken belt will not stop the motor from turning/running if the motor does not turn then the internals have burnt, budget for a new improved smoke container.

A broken belt will not stop the motor from turning/running if the motor does not turn then the internals have burnt, budget for a new improved smoke container.
"sigh" .... that's kinda what I thought. Oh well - as I said before, I probably need a beefier machine anyway .... and some proper dust collection. Need to hunt down the back of the couch for some pennies...!!

For a planer you need chip extraction not dust collection, a vacuum cleaner will not work as well.

For a planer you need chip extraction not dust collection, a vacuum cleaner will not work as well.
Thanks Mike - that's what I meant. Didn't know it was called "chip" extraction! ATM, I'm using a shop vac, which is OK for my table, and mitre saw, but dreadful for the planer/thicknesser. Bl00dy expensive hobby this!!

In all my years, never seen a plug that you can't change the fuse in, prove me wrong and take a picture.

Sorry, but my simple analysis is "If it smells like toast it normally is"
A lot of stuff from China, made for the UK market, have 3 pin UK plug tops with no fuse carrier, which I understand is illegal but still gets through. I recently bought a Variac like that. I always cut the plug off and replace.

Back