New member - bandsaw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurphyN

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for letting me join.
I wouldn't call my self a 'proper' woodworker but i do love to work in wood, however roughly.
I make puppets for stage shows and although we use a lot of materials, it's wood I turn to most often when working out a mechanism idea or making a prototype.
So in my little studio workshop I have a belt and disc sander which i use a lot, a bench drill press, a freestanding bandsaw and a bunch of electric and manual hand tools. If I'm very lucky time allows me to get the chisels out and I can do a little carving - though that's rare.

I joined the forum for advice on how to maintain the bandsaw. I would guess it must be 12-15 years old. It whines and slows often, seems to struggle getting through anything thicker than about 10-12mm and you need to go easy on it.
I wonder how to get is serviced? I'm in South London. I would think i could get it in the boot of the car and take it somewhere but I wondered what people who use their big tools more than I do would do to keep them running well. Is there a service where someone can come over and give it (and maybe the other two) a once-over? It would be well worth some money to have them running smoothly.
I did take a little search and was surprised not to find more on this topic - seems to me everyone must want their saw looked at periodically! I have the same issue with my old 1950s sewing machine - which is a lot more complicated than a bandsaw - but I know where to take that and have it back running well.

cheers , any suggestions very welcome, this seems like a helpful forum.

Hello and welcome, you will need to give a little more information on your machine eg make , model , what type of blade you are using and what type of wood are you cutting ( ply mdf solid wood etc ) I’d imagine most members will maintain their machines as they go rather than send it away or have someone come to look at it . That said ive heard of members helping out a fellow member if they live close but this is down to the generosity of that member. Good luck 🤞

have you done any general checks? Do the wheels spin freely, are the blade guards set to be close but not touching, is the blade sharp, is the motor free from dirt and debris, etc

If it’s struggling under load then it’s likely either something with the motor not delivering enough power, too much friction in the mix (something rubbing that shouldn’t be, worn bearings etc), or a blade that is blunt has too many tpi for the material.

Thanks very much.
It’s an Axminster 508204
Here are some pictures and I’ll keep trying to add a video - the sites says they are too large
As far as I can see everything is running smoothly and the guards are in good positions.
Don’t think the blade is that old either and it sees only light use - sometimes cutting Eva foams rather than wood which shouldn’t slow it down.
image.jpg
IMG_0493.jpeg
IMG_0494.jpeg
IMG_0495.jpeg

First off get a new blade from Tuffsaws, with fewer TPI (teeth per inch). There is also some build-up of crud around the bottom bearings that needs cleaning off. Check that the bearings turn and are set up correctly - have a look at the Snodgrass video on you-tube re bandsaw set up and you should be most of the way there. HTH and welcome!

Can you turn the top wheel freely by hand, with the power off of course ?

If not then may be blade guides too tight against the blade or wheel bearing given up.

If it does turn freely by hand then change the blade for a new one and see how that goes.

I noticed the power outlet by the saw looks overloaded, not sure if the bandsaw is plugged in there or not ?

Looks like a copy of my old Multico.I swapped out a 1 HP motor for a 2 HP and still haven't enough power. :rolleyes: Something to consider in the long term. Otherwise check for any obstructions , a new blade and you can't go wrong with some WD40 on the wheel bearings. It should not struggle with thin wood like that.

As for repairs - which part of South London are you?

There's D&M tools in Twickenham. They sponsor the big tool show each year and I'm pretty sure they do repairs.

Wandsworth - Gatto and Sons and Wandsworth Power tools both do repairs.

I've also just discovered RS Tool repairs in Raynes Park - but they don't have a website or much online. I might check them out myself.

Thanks very much.
It’s an Axminster 508204
Here are some pictures and I’ll keep trying to add a video - the sites says they are too large
As far as I can see everything is running smoothly and the guards are in good positions.
Don’t think the blade is that old either and it sees only light use - sometimes cutting Eva foams rather than wood which shouldn’t slow it down.
View attachment 178625View attachment 178622View attachment 178623View attachment 178624
Does the blade tensioner work ok?;^

As for repairs - which part of South London are you?

There's D&M tools in Twickenham. They sponsor the big tool show each year and I'm pretty sure they do repairs.

Wandsworth - Gatto and Sons and Wandsworth Power tools both do repairs.

I've also just discovered RS Tool repairs in Raynes Park - but they don't have a website or much online. I might check them out myself.
Thanks that's a good shout, though I think Gatto may have closed down.
I'm pretty close to Raynes Park so maybe will check them out. I have a few tips to try from here first!

Agree with the multiple suggestions, especially a blade change for higher quality one, however, I would go with a coarser pitch. More room for the sawdust in the gullets.
A more powerful motor is usually a good thing as well... :)

First off get a new blade from Tuffsaws, with fewer TPI (teeth per inch). There is also some build-up of crud around the bottom bearings that needs cleaning off. Check that the bearings turn and are set up correctly - have a look at the Snodgrass video on you-tube re bandsaw set up and you should be most of the way there. HTH and welcome!
Thanks, the snodgrass videos are great!
That'll keep me busy one afternoon.
I feel like it's not the blade but probably i should refresh just to reassure myself. Everything turns really smoothly when the motor is off so I'm not sure what it is.
I suppose it's not that complicated a machine but I'm have never really had instruction on how to look after it.

Thanks, the snodgrass videos are great!
That'll keep me busy one afternoon.
I feel like it's not the blade but probably i should refresh just to reassure myself. Everything turns really smoothly when the motor is off so I'm not sure what it is.
I suppose it's not that complicated a machine but I'm have never really had instruction on how to look after it.
Please do try a new blade that’s what I’d be betting on

Back