How will I cope?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrybhoy70

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that woodturning is well & truly in my blood, I'm going to have to leave my lathe alone for anything up to 3 months as I broke my wrist (scaphoid) last night playing footy. :(
Why did I ever decide to become a goalie???

Oh well, roll on January......................

:shock: O No , No turning :shock: :shock:

Hope you mend extra quick :mrgreen:

Re the Football

cant see why they call if Football in the first place ?

As they use heads , chest , legs , arms and Hands to control it

And its just 22 blokes kicking a bit of dead cow around on some grass :roll:

A family friend had a brain bleed a few years ago and now has only partial use of his left hand. After watching some of my attempts he decided that obviously anyone could have a go, and now he turns out some quite decent stuff, from mushrooms to kitchen roll holders to platters. One-and-a-bit handed needn't stop you completely.

Cheers Blister.
You forgot to mention that they tend to kick each other about the place as well!! :?

I was just starting to get the hang of my skew chisel as well, now I'm gonna need to start all over again when I get back into it.

As long as it heals properly, it should be no mre than 10-12 weeks.
Otherwise, who knows how long.

Maybe now I'm going on 41 I should retire from the game.......

Gerry

Thanks Mike.

The only thing stopping me really, is the lack of mobility through the wrist into the hand.
Once I get some movement back and a lot less pain then I'll be back to hibernating in the shed. :D :D

Gerry

For some it is.
For those of us who enjoy playing the game within it's rules, it's more than just a bit annoying.
Thankfully for me, as a goalie there's a lot more protection within the rules of the game.

Gerry

Whilst obviously commiserations on the wrist you should look at the pluses!

As someone who has/is living with a body that's biting back from years of sports abuse and switching things off from time to time, you may well find some positives in there somewhere!

1. Don't even think of putting the damaged wrist as risk
2. Look at ways you can use just one hand and improve your core skills

As an example, use the non damaged wrist hand on the handle, and control the tool with your other forearm rather than hand - small pieces, light cuts to start!

Thanks Jumps,

This is an excellent idea.
I'm away from tomorrow for a few days, but when I get back Im thinking I can start trying that.
If nothing else, it'll give me practise going left-handed.

As for risking the wrist - there's not a hope in hell of that.
This is now the third time I've broken the same bone, so really need to look after it.
I too am at the stage where the body is biting back, after 30 years of playing in goals - knees, back ribs, wrists and lately even the hips. Most of the biting back is coming from old breaks/tears, and my mind wanting me to believe I can still run about like a teenager!!
I'll take the recovery time as it comes, and enjoy having my feet up for a while. :D

Use the scew left handes as Jumps said and use your right by resting it on the thool rest and helping guide it. That way there's no strain on it and you get the be ambidextrous. I have always said that I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous :mrgreen:

About 30 years back I discolated my scaphoid playing squash, but unlike breaking it it doesn't heal. Apparently it was the forth time it had happened in the U.K. and I was told that a break would have been better. Now I just have to work around it and be prepaired to drop anything when I move it wrongly. A real swine, but it doesn't stop me turning I'm glad to say.

Good luck Gerry and look after it!

Just as a matter of interest it ain't a bit-a-cow now, that would get tooooo heavy when it got wet for the pretty pros of today. More in keeping, it's plastic! Can't have someone wot get 10s of thousands a week hurting his likkle pinkie toes now can we

Be very, very careful of over-using your wrist for at least 6 weeks mate. Having broken both of mine at various times, and ignoring medical advice, I now suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both wrists. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

As a medical crip, I have had both carpel tunnel jobbies done and I will agree with Tazziebaby that it ain't a pleasent job.

In fact, when I had the HUGE thick dressing on the second, right, after the carve up, I asked the nurse if I would be able to play the piano (this is the gods truth, my twisted humour just could not resist it!) and she said yes of course I would. I said that it was great because I had always wanted to play the piano! She didn't arf whack me one, but I couldn't complain because I were larfing tooooo much! Well you got to ain't you or yer deed! If you don't believe that I had both done, I can produce the scars :twisted: :twisted:

Mine were caused by 18 years of lugging 30lb tool case around when I was an IBM mainframe hardware engineer! I had tennis elbo in both sides to from the same toolcase, but i still got the ability to use a gouge. Not prettly at times, but who the hell cares, I enjoy it! 8)

If you have it in plaster or whatever they use these days be careful not to get woodshavings down it!

I broke mine years ago and it did take about 20 weeks as the scaphoid has a poor blood supply. Now 30 years later I have arthritis in it :(

Tin

Thanks for all the messages guys.
It's the scaphoid I've broken this time (as opposed to the radius on the previous 4 occassions), and been told to expect anything from 3 months upwards before I'm free of plaster & splints.
If it's not healed properly in around 16 weeks I could be looking at getting it pinned.

So, no turning for me for at least 4-5 months. :( :(

Update time.......................

Finally out of the cast, but still got to wear a splint for the next couple of weeks.
No metalwork needed, just lots of physio to get the movement back.

On the upside, I've been cleared to drive again in 2 weeks time and the doc's happy enough for me to switch the lathe back on as of next week (not been able to hold the chisels cos of the shape of the cast). :D :D

All that remains is to see what I can now come up with.

Gerry

Back