How will I cope?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers John.
Will decide over the next few days (probably Monday) if I'm goin to enter or not.
Need to give the wrist a blast to see how it feels first.

All going well, I'll be putting something in. :mrgreen:

Looks like I spoke too soon.
Back in cast again, and been advised against even lifting a bit of sandpaper. :(
So, no entry from me for the goblet competition.

Apparently last week's doctor 'made a mistake' when he looked at my MRI results.
Now waiting for an appointment to go for a CT scan, and still might end up needing the wrist pinned.

Bummer!!!!!!!

gerrybhoy70":1yxoobd9 said:
Looks like I spoke too soon.
Back in cast again, and been advised against even lifting a bit of sandpaper. :(
So, no entry from me for the goblet competition.

Apparently last week's doctor 'made a mistake' when he looked at my MRI results.
Now waiting for an appointment to go for a CT scan, and still might end up needing the wrist pinned.

Bummer!!!!!!!

Will you be playing football again :?

Hope you get well soon :wink:

Thanks Blister.

I'll be able to play in goal again next season, but I'm not sure if I'm going to.
Might just stick with the coaching side of the game.

Just a time game now with the wrist.
CT scan could be anything up to 6 weeks away, although Im hopeful it'll be within the next 2 or 3.
The results of that will determine whether or not my wrist needs screwed (feels like it already is!!! lol).

Will keep you updated.

Another update on the wrist.

My consultant had previously said that should anything 'nasty' show up on my CT scan, he'd leave the cast on until around weeks 13/14.
Having had the scan now, he has decided to leave me in cast until 23rd December and give me the full 14 weeks until he decides whether there are any pins/screws/surgical wires/grafts required.

Me being me, I listened to less than none of his advice on resting it and went ahead and carried on as usual.

Yesterday we held a fundraising craft fair for the football team (Dailly AFC if anyone's interested) and I had a table full of pieces.
Thankfully I felt no ill effects, although a fair bit of pain after each day's turning.

The day wasn't the greatest success, but as it was my first ever craft fair I really had no great expectations anyway.
Just need to get out and do more & more and the rewards will eventually come.

Here's what I had on show.

Attachments

• IMG_20111203_101512.jpg
    IMG_20111203_101512.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20111203_101527.jpg
    IMG_20111203_101527.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20111203_101540.jpg
    IMG_20111203_101540.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 476
That ain't arf bad for a one armed paper hanger :mrgreen: Great stuff mate..

The Hand in Handy with wood is a bit of a misnomer at the moment init, but not for long we all hope!

How much did you sell? And how much did you raise for the club?

The way the French do it is that just before Christmas the village club sells calenders. They ring the bell on te gate and if you want to buy... No fixed price, you just give what you want to. Just a single A3 (I think?) card with a big photo across the top showing the team and the calender showing the fixtures. They were promoted a couple of years back and are now in the Carcassonnaise premiur league. We normally give 10€. They are the first as theirs starts in September..

Thanks John.

Not sure how much was raised, as I'm not involved in the penny counting side of things.
As for sales, only sold one thing. A bottle stop.
Didn't expect a lot lot sell though, as the weather here was enough to keep eskimos indoors!!! lol
We only had about 20-odd people come through the doors.
Added to that there were a lot of people who promised to put stalls up and didn't bother to show up, and you get the picture.

Our village already sells calendars, so doing them for the football club would just be a bit of overkill I think.

My team are mid-table just now in the 2nd tier (5 tiers in all) of the Ayrshire AFA.
Yesterday was cup day, and a roughly 400 mile round trip in the Scottish Amateur Cup was well & truly worthwhile as the boys done good and won 3-1 to put us into round 5. :D
What makes that an impressive result is the opposition were one of the best teams we could have been drawn against, and are one of the top teams in the Fife area leagues.
So, well done to yesterday's 11 (and sub's!!). =D>
Roll on the draw for the next round................ (I might even be fit to play by then!!)

It's a real shame both about the weather and the people through the door Gerry. Don't loose hope about the selling bit either. We used to do a fair number of craft fairs and some of them didn't warrent getting out of bed, or cover the price of the table and the one that we thought was going to be a disaster in the back of beyond was almost a sell out for me! You just never can tell?

Calenders? We have one from our 'postie', a delightful and helpful bloke, one from the sapeur pompier, the near equivalent of the fire brigadr, but they are paramedics as well and at least one other as well as the football club. BUT we think that they are all well worth it. The La Poste one is full of very useful info as well as the calender bit! The SPs money goes in their benevolent fund and we always give 20€ for them. Worth every centime!

As for the team, well good for them. As for you, leave it out! I screwed up my right hand playing squash by dislocating the scaphoid bone. A rare and non repairing injury. Now I have arthritis, in both hands, but much worse in the right. Now, it doesn't really effect my turning, but using a hand plane, which I love to use, or anything else that requires a push is a no no. Even writing is difficult! Tryping on a PC ain't bad.

Let it heal! Enjoy what you do a lot longer!

You could have a point there, John.

I've been playing football for over 30 years, even managed to get paid for it a number of years ago.
I think it's just something that's I my blood that'll never go away.

Might be an idea to stick with the coaching side of things and let the younger guys get stuck into it.

Then again, if the other goalie gets injured once I'm fit again.................................... :roll:

Growing old is obligatory!

Growing up ???????? :mrgreen:

What ever you do don't let it screw up yer turning. That requires both hands mate!

I relax when I am turning and I get really involved in the complicated and the simple. I have just been asked if I can turn a couple of calygraphy pens because the lady had got fed up with the dead plastic things she has. How to hold the knib? Now no problem and some relaxing turning with the skew and because of the thin stem both hands needed to hold the skew and support the shaft.

So simple, but so satisfying. Don't skew yer hands. You only have two (2)! Sermon over :wink:

When push comes to shove, I'm still learning turning.
On the other hand (ahem), I'm in a position to teach goalkeeping.

Keeping both in those directions would probably be my best (safest??) option.

monkeybiter":2uk6uf47 said:
A family friend had a brain bleed a few years ago and now has only partial use of his left hand. After watching some of my attempts he decided that obviously anyone could have a go, and now he turns out some quite decent stuff, from mushrooms to kitchen roll holders to platters. One-and-a-bit handed needn't stop you completely.

Glad he's enjoying his woodwork! Hope he's doing alright, and adapting well.

My particular tale of woe was a traumatic brain injury which led in a roundabout way to me starting woodworking. Funny old world.

Gerry: don't rush it, I've had to learn (and am still learning!) patience. If you rush it now you'll spend a lot longer recovering, and it'll take longer in the long run.. A lesson in life maybe?

You make a good point bodger.

Patience is something I usually have plenty of, but when it comes to damaging myself (as I have done on many occasions) and wanting it all mended & sorted out I really have none.

Back