Some cuttings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Some cutting

Our annual market date was set months ago. So, I will start early doing some scrolling to sell, cover my cost and generate some income for our Social Club.
Last year there just was not time as I was flat out building hives. (not much different this year)

I first had to find where I stored all the patterns and templates. Then look at what scraps were available.
Lots of pine offcuts from the hives and some mahogany.
The patterns were then laid out on the scraps and nested to get the most patterns out with very little waste. I use a template to draw the shape on the wood.
Mahogany needs a darker pencil.

Layout nesting.jpg

Then start cutting.

Starting.jpg

Decided to not saw out some of the holes for serviettes but use the Forstners.
Sizes, depending on object, 26mm, 22mm, 30mm
Unfortunately the Forstner decided to go walk-about on the squirrel.

Forstner damage.jpg

I have managed to scrape (Stanley blade) and sand out most of the damage.

Having not sawn a lot of these patters for a long time, I forgot some my guidelines (I also cannot find them – the cupboard in the garage needs a bloody clean out)

My guidelines as remembered:

#1 Drill all the holes for the eyes, ears, mouths etc before cutting out the pattern, also the forstner drilling.
That way you have a sizeable piece of wood to hold. The forstner grabbing the small piece also damages fingers removing skin!
Only a few were cut & drilled before cutting out the pattern. DID NOT DO ALL OF THEM!
#2 Avoid the patterns that have small eye and ear cut outs, they are internal cuts and require the blade to be inserted from the bottom into the cut-out hole.
This means loosening the top blade holder and then trying to fit the blade. It is such a schlep when the cut is less than 10mm.
See the mouse, owl, dog ears.
FORGOT ABOUT THIS LOT!
#3 If the large hole cannot be drilled, then do the hole cutting first. See the small dolphin on the right and near the back. FORGOT!
4# Mahogany – start with a new blade. Be careful of the sharp turns as the blade tends to bind in the wood with the piece jumping up and down bashing your knuckles. FORGOT
5# The pine needs to be sealed to avoid chip outs at the bottom. NOT DONE!
For all the external pattern cutting as well as a few internal cuts I used the Heger Polycut with a #12 blade.
I tried the finer cuts with a #3 blade on the Polycut which was not successful. So I uncovered the small Multicut, got rid of all the dust, spiders and cobwebs and did all the #3 blade cutting.

Only destroyed 3 blades, 1 #3 and 2 #12.
The 1 #12 was doing the Mahogany.
I will need to order more blades.
State of play yesterday afternoon, all 42 cut.

All 42 cut and sanded.jpg

There is still a lot of fine sanding to do before any finish can be applied.
The back of the item where all the cut-fluff is was sanded on the Makita third-sheet sander.
I made a cradle for it which then just clamps into the vice. Works very well. Made a similar one for the belt sander.

MakitaSander.jpg

The big question – will they be completed for our market?

No!
But I have a start on the Xmas cuttings.
All the pine will be painted by hand and the mahogany a poly sealer.
Disclaimer – no machines, timber or other tools were damaged in the process above.
There were a number of sore knuckles, not much blood.
The air was blue a couple of times. I did not see the wife come into the garage behind me, so she clearly learnt some new anatomy terms.
Thank you for reading.

From a very hot Pretoria. A high of 35c no thunder showers

Back