How deep is your snow ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's just started heavy again here. The forecast says it'll go on throughout today but should start to clear tomorrow. Which is a shame ;)

wizer":12do1lno said:
it's just started heavy again here. The forecast says it'll go on throughout today but should start to clear tomorrow. Which is a shame ;)

Has not stopped here :lol:

I may undertake a expedition to the workshop , Wish me luck , I'm going in :p

Will sort out what chisels I have left

Then phone work to see if I am going to Brighton tonight :lol:

And this is what the back garden looks like :p

Do you think I should take a ST bernard with me or just the Whisky :p :p

119_1975.jpg

119_1976.jpg

119_1977.jpg

3" here just north of Winchester and still falling - don't normally work on Mondays so no real problem for me.
All schools closed so no Circuit Training tonight - do not know if I am happy or sad about that :D
Must find my snow shoes to go out and stock up the bird feeders!

Rod

We often moan about the weather forecasting, but they have got this one spot on. They were forecasting this last Wednesday and they have been accurate with the quantity of snow fall. Well done the met office.

About 5" here in Bexley, Kent - no London Buses, Trains on Emergancy service - so 'Working from home' :lol:

Dave

TrimTheKing":2to8z2pd said:
About an inch here in Warrington, but it's just fired up again and is coming down quite heavy.

Hey Blister - Is that roof over, whatever it is, completely useless??? ;) You might as well get rid of that!

Cheers

Mark

Its a pagoda over my Koi pond , laugh , to keep the sun off and the Herons :p

Dave R":2heo1f0n said:
Looks like a regular old winter day here in Minnesnowta. :D
It is laughable sometimes how our infrastructure grinds to a halt with any sign of snow.

We had about 8 inches a couple of years ago in Manchester and I was talking to a mate who lives in Brooklyn, via email, and he laughed and sent me a message saying that's nothing! He sent me a picture of his front yard, which just looked like it had a gentle covering. The next picture he sent was when he had dug a trench out of his front door and was stood next to his car, which was covered with about 18" of snow! From the first picture I would have sworn it was a flat lawn, they must have had a good 5' that day!

Wish we had that here, at least it would be worth talking about then :D

Cheers

Mark

At least 6" here in North London. Taking my normal day off a bit early. The worst is still to come, apparantly, around 2 o'clock.

I've already been out to the garage a couple of times, might have to grab a shovel and clear the path or miy footprints are going to ice over... :(

For once, it seems to have all gone to the southern end of the country,... for the moment at least. :)

In Northern Aberdeenshire - very little, just a very light dusting at present.
Apparently its going to arrive in 'some form' ... but as yet, nothing to speak of at all really, just the merest dusting, and really zero inconvenience to traffic or otherwise !

8)

7.5" in Aldershot, 1.2" in West Berkshire.

I set off from home in West Berkshire (just off the A4) at 6:20 this morning with about an inch, the conditions as I headed SE towards Aldershot got steadily worst with slight hills almost un-drivable. I walked the last 50 yards into my office, driving took me about 15 minutes longer than normal- I thought that was quite good giving the snow in Aldershot.

I set off back home at 10:30 given the forecast for more heavy snow this afternoon, the roads were very quite and in a somewhat better condition than at 7:30 this morning.

I think the problem this morning was the quantity , when driving on fresh snow it was compacting down and turning to ice, with my 2 wheel drive it was impossible to get any traction on this fresh stuff, I consider my driving skills on snow to be fairly good but this morning was difficult on hills.

..... Its just starting to snow again here in West Berkshire; I am supposed to be driving to Ipswich early tomorrow - I think I make a decision on that later today.

Keep safe.

Mike

I can empathize with you all. There are places here in the US where 1/2" of snow will shut things down. For 1/2" here, though, we wouldn't even bother with a snow shovel and they probably wouldn't get the plows out. When we have the deep snows, the city busses are the most dependable form of transit. The bus routes get plowed first and the busses do run. They'll go through5 or 6" of snow anyway without trouble.

Picture492.jpg

Back garden, shed top left behind the bamboo.

Picture493.jpg

Picture494.jpg

Picture495.jpg

Front garden must be about 3"to4".

Picture496.jpg

South Downs behind the roofs!!!! :roll:

This is Portslade outside Brighton 10-30am.
More to come later today they say!!!

Since I have no idea about this sort of stuff over there, how good is the insulation in the walls and attics of your houses? I remember Steve Maskery telling me that there's really nothing between the tiles on the roof and the attic--no vapor barrier or whatever. Is that typical and do you end up with snow blown in under the tiles?

Dave R, we do have insulation on the loft rafters, but not under the roof tiles.
Sorry have gone running to the loft to make sure no snow!!!, thanks for reminding me :roll: :wink:

Latest posts

Back