It never happens in Europe!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't they just buy another set of wheels and have them swapped?

That's exactly the general practice in Switzerland. Apart from anything else, if buying new, or "decent" SH (through a dealer, rather than privately) the supply of an extra set of wheels (steel), plus winter tyres (fitted & balanced), plus the cost of changing every sic months, plus storage, all add up to yet another of the many bargaining points when negotiating the price.

That's exactly the general practice in Switzerland. Apart from anything else, if buying new, or "decent" SH (through a dealer, rather than privately) the supply of an extra set of wheels (steel), plus winter tyres (fitted & balanced), plus the cost of changing every sic months, plus storage, all add up to yet another of the many bargaining points when negotiating the price.
In the UK the average temp is above 7c for 9 months of the year (even longer in the south). If you run winter tyres for 6 months here, you will just be wearing your tyres out faster for no gain, and causing more pollution. Our climate is totally different to continental europe. I'd be surprised if you find someone here who would store your wheels/tyres for you, so they will end up in the garage (if you have one).

It is not just the cost of wheels, tyres, fitting (2 x pa) and storage.

Almost every time the car is changed you sell the part worn set used for the last few winters, and buy a brand new set for the new motor.

In Alpine territory this may be justified - in temperate UK (hill dwellers aside) it makes no real sense.

I got my wheels from a scrapyard.
Ditto.

And there is no way winter tyres are over £200 each - I think my Michelin Alpins were about £110 - plus fitting - and cheaper marques are available.

Having said that, if I was in the UK full time then I would go for all-season tyres with 3MPSF logo once these winters wear out.

Ditto.

And there is no way winter tyres are over £200 each - I think my Michelin Alpins were about £110 - plus fitting - and cheaper marques are available.

Having said that, if I was in the UK full time then I would go for all-season tyres with 3MPSF logo once these winters wear out.
cheapest on mytyres for my car would be £75 but they are only D rated for wet braking, so what you gain for snow/ice you lose with all the rain/standing water we have. To get B rated I'd have to go to £99 per tyre. Plus £15 to fit. So £456 total for the tyres. Plus the cost of wheels (unless you swap them every year but that would be £50+)

My all seasons were about £80 each fitted and are C for efficency and B rated for wet braking and 3MPSF M+S, and I just leave them on all year.

My all seasons were about £80 each fitted and are C for efficency and B rated for wet braking and 3MPSF M+S, and I just leave them on all year.

I agree - as I said that is exactly what I would do if I were in UK all year round - although would go for the Michelin Cross Climates, I think.

Ditto.

I've not long had two changed - £180.

Back