Pricing Box wood for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of Box in the loft of the barn that's been there for the last 13 years or so. If I'm honest with myself, I'll never use all of it so will sell some, (probably most) but haven't a clue how to go about pricing it or how to get the most from it. Some of it is 7" or more diameter and most of it over 2" - I'm assuming the bigger stuff will be worth more on a on any given volume, but any help with what to expect would be very welcome.

The commercial price is in the region of £1 per cubic inch, but it's highly unlikely that you would find a buyer easily at that price point.

I would be interested in taking some of the larger diameters if the price was fair enough.

Can't be of much help, as I'm not really up on the current prices. On Etsy someone is charging £ 11.30 a kilo for logs, though I'm not sure how dry this is, There is also a guy on eBay, at the moment, selling pieces for chess sets and flutes who seems to be, asking good money for his stuff. However, his flute stock will be what is known as music-grade, which comes at a premium. Though it might be worth a look. as a guide to pricing.

In the end, I suppose, it is all down to the quality , number iof splits and knots etc. I'm sure that if you could put some time into prepping and grading it you could certainly up the price you get

I might be interested myself in some pieces that I could make whistles out of . I usually purchase these as square billets 28 x 28 x 305 mm. In Blackwood these are about £5.00 for A grade, and £ 8.90 for music grade. Not sure exactly sure how this compares with boxwood prices, though my gut feeling is that they will at least be equivalent.

Last edited:
The commercial price is in the region of £1 per cubic inch, but it's highly unlikely that you would find a buyer easily at that price point.

I would be interested in taking some of the larger diameters if the price was fair enough.
Thanks Adam - would that cubic inch price stay constant then? I'd assumed the larger the diameter, the higher the price.

Can't be of much help, as I'm not really up on the current prices. On Etsy someone is charging £ 11.30 a kilo for logs, though I'm not sure how dry this is, There is also a guy on eBay, at the moment, selling pieces for chess sets and flutes who seems to be, asking good money for his stuff. However, his flute stock will be what is known as music-grade, which comes at a premium. Though it might be worth a look. as a guide to pricing.

In the end, I suppose, it is all down to the quality , number if splits and knots etc. I'm sure that if you could put some time into prepping and grading it you could certainly up the price you get

I might be interested myself in some pieces that I could make whistles out of . I usually purchase these as square billets 28 x 28 x 305 mm. In Blackwood these are about £5.00 for A grade, and £ 8.90 for music grade. Not sure exactly sure how this compares with boxwood prices, though my gut feeling is that they will at least be equivalent.
Hi Niall,
I'd not even thought about its use for musical instruments. Strikes me that if it was sawn, there'd be quite a lot of wastage. I think it would probably be best for any potential buyer to collect in any case - postage on any decent quantity would be quite a bit and it's the sort of thing, if I was buying, I'd want to see the goods for myself before handing over any cash.

Thanks Adam - would that cubic inch price stay constant then? I'd assumed the larger the diameter, the higher the price.
If it's in the round, unconverted then the price would be lower, as waste would need to be taken into account. There is quite a lot of boxwood available at the moment due to box blight, but the price I gave you was from enquiries I made a couple of years ago. It could be higher or lower today and it would also fluctuate with the quality of the material.

So yes, the price varies quite wildly depending on what you have.

Thank you. I'll try to get my head wrapped round it all.

Thanks again Adam!
Having looked a bit further, it would seem the best return for me would be to saw it into pen blanks! Seems an awful shame, so I may do that with some of the small bits but the bigger bits will get sold as they are and hopefully get used in bigger sections too.

In the end, I suppose, it is all down to the quality , number if splits and knots etc. I'm sure that if you could put some time into prepping and grading it you could certainly up the price you get

I bought a decent quantity from that guy on ebay, but it was all soaking wet and covered in mould......So I sent it back at his expense. He cried about it big time and said it was all my fault.....Quite odd really.

I bought a decent quantity from that guy on ebay, but it was all soaking wet and covered in mould......So I sent it back at his expense. He cried about it big time and said it was all my fault.....Quite odd really.
Thanks for the heads up 👍 Am always a bit dubious when it comes to buying timber on line, though, I've been fortunate so far.

Don't know if this link will help you decide if cutting for pen blanks would be worth your while at £3 each for a 6" × ¾" square piece from here:
https://shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk/english-boxwood-pen-blank.html
Probably more worth your while trying to estimate the number of from X piece of wood and price accordingly for the buyer to cut.

I also would also possibly be interested in the larger sections depending on the lengths (and straightness of) and where you are in Kernow for possible collection when down for holiday visits?

Back