Computer confusion....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Very weird, this.
I haven't a clue what the cause, or remedy, is....

I signed up for a course run by a very reputable author and songwriter, which is accessed through a Teachable site. Teachable is also a recognised safe bet, so no qualms about joining...
The course is structured so that you complete section-by-section, in an educational and logical manner. I suppose you could blitz it in a weekend, but as with all good ideas, life got in the way....
I got up to the 20% level, and then left it alone/veered off/forgot about it. (This, unfortunately, is me to a T. "Great idea! Go for it! Hell for leather! I'll finish it...tomorrow....then burn out...)
Anyway, a couple of months ago, I started the course again.
Logged on, correct name and password, and the system had remembered where I'd got to (which is just as well, because I didn't...)
I remembered that I didn't actually finish the Q&A section, so thought I'd backtrack and watch it again.
Got to a certain stage - it happens to be at 17 minutes-or-so in - and parts of the on-screen graphics have disappeared.
The still below better explains - there should be some graphic in the white boxes.
How do I know? Because there were when I originally ran it months ago!

swing graphic.JPG

The disappearance continues for over 2 minutes : the audio continues, the top graphics (on the blue background) change accordingly, but the white area remains blank until 19 minutes something...and then reappears.
I've contacted the originator. Their suggestion was to clear the cache, and try again. It made no difference....
This afternoon I had (for me) a brainwave. Try it on my Samsung tablet instead of the laptop.
Exactly the same....no graphics at exactly the same point, and for exactly the same duration.

It's most annoying, because I don't understand how it could happen!
Any ideas?!

My guess is a browser caching issue. The site remembers where you are probably through a cookie but possibly the cache needs clearing to fix the issue you see. I can't tell which browser you are using and there is a risk when you clear the cache that you will also clear the cookie and lose where you got to. Sorry I can't be more specific (ex IT support manager)

My guess is a browser caching issue. The site remembers where you are probably through a cookie but possibly the cache needs clearing to fix the issue you see. I can't tell which browser you are using and there is a risk when you clear the cache that you will also clear the cookie and lose where you got to. Sorry I can't be more specific (ex IT support manager)
Cheers for that.
"Brave" (offshot of Chrome, methinks) in the case of the laptop, and Chrome itself (I think) on the tablet.
Have cleared the cache in Brave's case, but same error occurs...

Just tried it using Firefox...same error.
Very strange.....

Last edited:
Thanks, chaps, but no joy even in incognito.
Tell me, though, why the audio and "main" graphics (in the blue background) would continue - matching each other's timeline if you see what I mean - but the graphics in the white areas simply "not appear" for over two minutes?
I can't see what would cause that....

Teachable uses wistia to as its drm tool this can cause issues with video playback.

Can you try a pair your mobile to your tablet rule out your isp?
Or use a vpn to bypass your isp?

Are you using a adblocker like pihole?
  • If you use a Pi Hole, whitelist fast.wistia.com - some video's have analytics on them and the Pi Hole blocks them.

Teachable uses wistia to as its drm tool this can cause issues with video playback.

Can you try a pair your mobile to your tablet rule out your isp?
Or use a vpn to bypass your isp?

Are you using a adblocker like pihole?
  • If you use a Pi Hole, whitelist fast.wistia.com - some video's have analytics on them and the Pi Hole blocks them.

Tried via NordVPN on the laptop - no different.

Not sure about (an) adblocker. Maybe something "built in" in Brave? Will have to check....

Here's a thought that's just occurred to me - Flash. I wonder....could they have been Flash (swf) graphics?

Right....I've just bothered to run the video from about 2 minutes before the "glitch" to a good 3 minutes after, and realised something....
I wrote there should be some graphics inside the white boxes.
I'm wrong.
There should be no white boxes.
The whole page should be blue...the white areas are where other graphics should be.

Very weird, this.
I haven't a clue what the cause, or remedy, is....

I signed up for a course run by a very reputable author and songwriter, which is accessed through a Teachable site. Teachable is also a recognised safe bet, so no qualms about joining...
The course is structured so that you complete section-by-section, in an educational and logical manner. I suppose you could blitz it in a weekend, but as with all good ideas, life got in the way....
I got up to the 20% level, and then left it alone/veered off/forgot about it. (This, unfortunately, is me to a T. "Great idea! Go for it! Hell for leather! I'll finish it...tomorrow....then burn out...)
Anyway, a couple of months ago, I started the course again.
Logged on, correct name and password, and the system had remembered where I'd got to (which is just as well, because I didn't...)
I remembered that I didn't actually finish the Q&A section, so thought I'd backtrack and watch it again.
Got to a certain stage - it happens to be at 17 minutes-or-so in - and parts of the on-screen graphics have disappeared.
The still below better explains - there should be some graphic in the white boxes.
How do I know? Because there were when I originally ran it months ago!

View attachment 175775

The disappearance continues for over 2 minutes : the audio continues, the top graphics (on the blue background) change accordingly, but the white area remains blank until 19 minutes something...and then reappears.
I've contacted the originator. Their suggestion was to clear the cache, and try again. It made no difference....
This afternoon I had (for me) a brainwave. Try it on my Samsung tablet instead of the laptop.
Exactly the same....no graphics at exactly the same point, and for exactly the same duration.

It's most annoying, because I don't understand how it could happen!
Any ideas?!
Given that you have tried it on different browsers and different devices, it seems unlikely that it is a problem with caching. I think you have done the right thing, raising a ticket with the supplier.
Good luck!

When you joined did you have to install anything like an app or a viewer? If so it's possible that it created a temporary storage area to store files and images that would appear during the training course. It would do this to save on data transfer and would call up the stored images/files from the temp storage instead. My suggestion would be to reinstall it and see if it fixes your issue.
I'm assuming this of course.

When you joined did you have to install anything like an app or a viewer? If so it's possible that it created a temporary storage area to store files and images that would appear during the training course. It would do this to save on data transfer and would call up the stored images/files from the temp storage instead. My suggestion would be to reinstall it and see if it fixes your issue.
I'm assuming this of course.

No, nothing to download. It's all lodged on a Teach:able site, so it's a case of log in and there it is. You can't save or copy to save locally....
I had an answer from Teachable support this morning, stating that their bit - the "platform" - is OK, and therefore the problem lies within the video file. They suggest getting in touch with the originator to fix the file.
Well, I think we all know what's going to happen when I do..... I'll be "the only one of the 50 zillion people who bought the course to have this problem....." :rolleyes:

And probably, "The End" :(

Well, boys, it is "the end".
Hotmart were unable to help, and like the helpful bloke at Teachable, suggested there's a problem with the source file.
Going with porker's advice above, I again contacted the originator and they kindly reset the presentation, giving me a new account number and link. As predicted, they "never had any complaints about this before and everything is working fine on my end. Not saying you're wrong, just that it's hard to pinpoint a problem if I can't replicate it."
Fair comment, I guess.
Anyway, reset everything, logged in....and had exactly the same error. This time I was able to record the problem as an avi file and send it to them as proof.
I concede defeat. I don't know what causes the problem, and evidently neither do they.

I've suggested that we call it a day, and put it down to just one of those weirdo computer things. Hopefully the rest of the course is blemish free....

Latest posts

Back