How deep is your snow ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch out for tomorrow Roy - your going to get it according to Dopey Derek (Welsh News weather forecaster for those in Angleterre). Not a drop in Cardiff - yet!

Jim :D

Should be fun then Jim. One thing's certain, if we do get some, is that I won't be driving.
The front wheels on my Fiat Doblo spin and float around on any loose surface. I've never driven another car like it!

Roy.

Paul.J":1jm43bei said:
Just managed to get this piccy of a Robin taking shelter below a Red Robin leaf :lol: before it flew off.

Had about 2" here in Brum so far but they are forcasting more heavier snow about rush hour time :roll:

Would that be photinia we had one where my workshop now resides :oops: , SWIMBO was not very happy with that, although I did try to transplant it in vain.

Its getting better here now, just been out on snow watch. Its barely stopped here all day (welding some steelwork up outside in it)

Now have about 5" Starting to look good for a day off 8)

Just a couple of inches here in Colwyn Bay, although the local radio was promising six inches all afternoon. Now it seems to be thawing before it's finished snowing so everythings is already turning to slush. Have to wait & see what tomorrow brings.

regards

Brian

Down here in OZ (Melbourne) we have just finished threedays of 45 celcius 115 fahrenheit. Oh and add a few bushfires. Cool change has come through and it dropped to a bearable 39 c
Our rail system was a trifle hampered by the fact that the rails were warping in the heat and the electricity failed in many areas because the transformers got too hot.
I believe Adelaide got it a bit worse and they clocked up around about thirty five heat related deaths. So thanks mates for the snow photos. Guess it's natural we all see things from our own point of view.

Jerry

Wandering off the post subject a little but Paul.J, love the photograph (what camera, lens etc?). I've been waiting for a similar shot in my garden. Snow arrived here (Cardiff) overnight so may get a chance today.
Cheers,
Jim :D

Got about 4 inches over night Jim, the town's come to a standstill!

Roy.

Gower wrote
Wandering off the post subject a little but Paul.J, love the photograph (what camera, lens etc?). I've been waiting for a similar shot in my garden. Snow arrived here (Cardiff) overnight so may get a chance today.
Thanks Jim :D
MYy camera is the Fuji Finepix S6500fd,just set on Auto,and shot through the French doors glass :shock: when i saw the Robin foraging about and it flew onto the gate,where i had seen it before so was sort of expecting it do that so just set the lens to focus their,and it worked,for once :shock:
Glad to say the snow did arrive yesterday evening but only for about an hour,which did give another covering.
My youngest daughter is off school today and was planning on making a snowman but it's that powdery snow :( so we just made a snowsnake :D

Bet it's nice and cosy in your workshop Roy! 8) Tell me, is it the Grumpy Old Man in me or did we quit quite as quickly as it seems folk do today. I can't remember having a day off school because of snow and certainly not work (cold conditions were our busiest time in the truck repair business). I suppose the demon 'elf & safety have a lot to do with it. Moan ended. Enjoy your day.
Cheers,
Jim

Same subject came up here as well Jim. Not one young staff member in our local Tesco, only the old 'uns. Local school shut as well.
No we were a different breed I think Jim, the only thing that halted me in the workshop yesterday was that the French polish was too thick 'cos of the low temp, and I'm heading out that way shortly.

Roy.

A fair bit still dropping here in Chesterfield, and causing no end of mischief. Most of the schools are closed - again, no sign of any gritting - even though they swear its being going on since 2am, cars coming down the road sideways!!!!.

Looks like the vans staying put, as it only has to see snow and it goes into a spin. Long walk into work this afternoon.

as it only has to see snow and it goes into a spin.

Modern wide section tyres are pretty useless on any sort of loose surface I'm afraid.
The old, larger diameter narrow tyres cut through snow much better I always found.
My Fiat Doblo treats anything other than tarmac as skating practise!

Roy.

Sounds familiar - mines a Vito, and I've lost count of the times it's gone in a completely different direction to that intended (due to snow - not driver error :wink: ).

As I don't need it today - on with the wellies, and switch to leg-power. Although I'm still likely to go in a spin at some point :lol:

Round here, the mothers on the school run in the snow and their 4x4s still manage to get stuck :roll: Bloody posers :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":21530mqw said:
Round here, the mothers on the school run in the snow and their 4x4s still manage to get stuck :roll: Bloody posers :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thats because they don't know how to put it in 4 wheel drive.

We had a dusting of snow in Weymouth a few days ago, only lasted a few hours, none since then.

3 inches fell last night. Not enough to make it impossible to get in, but enough to make it likely to slip into another car on the way, especially down the 1 in 4 hill I live on the top of.

I am currently working from home today as Glouscestershire has run out of grit :?

Laptop, internet connection to the office, mobile phone. No need to kill myself to get into the office.

Although I did take time out to spend an hour sledging with the kids this morning ;) They have never seen enough snow to get a sledge out before.

Back