For those with cordless routers...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
And yes, I mean electrical ones despite router planes fitting the description :p.

How versatile do you find the 1/4" routers? I have a Hitachi MV12E as my main router and there's no getting around the fact that with a hose and a flex attached it can be a real pain at times when I'm moving around a workpiece. Are the cordless ones up to scratch now or would it be an investment that just has me running back to the inconvenience of a flex?

Probably the most demanding I'd do is hogging out for sliding dovetails/dado slots so 15mm slot 10-15mm deep, birch ply or sometimes solid oak. I already do about 3 passes typically (one hog, one finish on either side).

Views welcomed! Thanks.

If you use an extraction hose then you still have the bigger problem of moving around a workpiece because in comparison the electrical flex is insignificant and can easily be attached to the extraction hose. Then think of batteries and charging so if you have a decent corded router just stick with it.

If you always have a hose attached then going battery doesn't seem to make sense. You save on not having to buy multiple batteries.
If however you are on site and outside a lot then going cordless can be a benefit

Back