How deep is your snow ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's currently raining here in West London. Hardly a snow flake left.

About 1 meter here, maybe a bit more. OUtside temp about -8.
Drove to work this morning, like everyone else. No problem. Life goes on as usual.
Sorry, just had to post this !! :D

woodbloke":sw6unj16 said:
Landrover's been OK :wink: in the snow - Rob

Yeah - I walked into work this afternoon, and the number of landrover/4x4 owners who thought it a good idea to drive at breakneck speeds through the snow and slush, coating me in the process - well, lets just say I wasn't amused and gave them all a friendly wave.

I think Krysstel has summed it all up - we just aren't prepared for extreme weather conditions.

Krysstel":2qausive said:
About 1 meter here, maybe a bit more. OUtside temp about -8.
Drove to work this morning, like everyone else. No problem. Life goes on as usual.
Sorry, just had to post this !! :D

Yes,there are those that expect it,and know how to cope with it,and then there's us - at work,we have an offices in Gothenburg,Oslo and St.Petersburg,and they can never understand why our country comes to a stop with so little snow :lol:
I remember being told of a site somewhere in Scandinavia (possibly Norkoepping) where the factory car park had electric plug-in points to keep the workers car engines warm..

Andrew

PowerTool":2ucwm91k said:
Yes,there are those that expect it,and know how to cope with it,and then there's us - at work,we have an offices in Gothenburg,Oslo and St.Petersburg,and they can never understand why our country comes to a stop with so little snow :lol:
I remember being told of a site somewhere in Scandinavia (possibly Norkoepping) where the factory car park had electric plug-in points to keep the workers car engines warm..
Andrew
Where I work the covered car park is about 400 meters from the office building. All the pathways have underfloor heating so we don't slip over and the company reduces it's snow clearing budget. I can confirm that yes there are electric plug-in points in the car park but they're now all occupied by Think owners http://www.think.no/ !

Krysstel":1xwfahay said:
Where I work the covered car park is about 400 meters from the office building. All the pathways have underfloor heating so we don't slip over and the company reduces it's snow clearing budget.

Hi Krysstel,

When I was in Norway several years ago, I saw a workman installing heating underneath the paving slabs on the pavement leading to a garage. Is electricity cheap in Norway? Everything else seemed expensive :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2z1mwsn0 said:
Hi Krysstel,

When I was in Norway several years ago, I saw a workman installing heating underneath the paving slabs on the pavement leading to a garage. Is electricity cheap in Norway? Everything else seemed expensive :shock:

Paul
No, electricity is extremely expensive here but only began becoming so about 10 years ago when the country began running out of cheap, state-owned hydroelectric power. Now power production is denationalised and part of the pan-european spot market, and hence expensive !
But everything is more expensive than 10 years ago, including how much the man who clears the snow away wants in wages to be able to pay his electricity bil, and so on, and so on.....
So they still use just as much under-path heating as before, both in public areas and privately. The way most people look at such extravagances is that they are necessary to make life bearable in a country where people really shouldn't be living at all - at least in the winter !

Krysstel":2crqfhmf said:
The way most people look at such extravagances is that they are necessary to make life bearable in a country where people really shouldn't be living at all - at least in the winter !

But it's a beautiful country in the summer :wink: I went on a cycling holiday to Norway in 1960 as well as visiting a couple of times on business trips in more recent years. I thought it was one of the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. But I think I'll give it a miss in the winter :lol:

Paul

Got halfway in this morning and a snow storm started! :( Luckily it's not snowing over here in West London. Hopefully it's not settling over South.

It's wazzing down here in Herefordshire - this was taken earlier on between blizzards:-

Snoooooowww.jpg

Chester. One day of about 3 inches, it melted, and since then all we have had is a dusting now and again. That's more than enough for me.

We had another 4 inches of snow overnight and another inch since the kids woke me up at 6:30 to tell me it was too snowy to get up ;)

I am off to beat the snow off of the tree that has so much snow on it, it is weighing down on the phone line...

For some reason garage decided not to collect car for its MOT this morning, 200mm and drifting.

DSCN0083 (Small).jpg
DSCN0084 (Small).jpg
DSCN0086 (Small).jpg

Guess who cleared the drive yesterday :roll:

Attachments

• DSCN0083 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0083 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0084 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0084 (Small).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0086 (Small).jpg