hearing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got tested at Boots about three years ago, when I was 75, and some high frequency loss, but not enough to worry about. Deafness was clearly not helping wife's Alzheimers, so she got tested and had NHS aids, which were OK-ish, but fairly rapidly became inadequate as hearing deteriorated further. There was a 9-12 month wait even for checking with NHS, so spent some of the kids' inheritance on expensive private "in ear" ones. These helped, but one died quite quickly, fortunately still in warranty.
Then (story coming up!) I was talking to daughter, and she actually said something about an otter in the local country park. I heard it as osprey (there are those in the park too) and said "oh, yes, saw it flying over the end of the drive a couple of days back". The withering look, and her comments sent me off to the audiologist and I'm now kitted out with behind ear ones which are very effective. But a lot more of daughter's inheritance disappeared in the process.
I'm interested that people seem worried about the aids being visible. Why? Noone worries about glasses being visible. Do they??

I’m 78 and got my first hearing aids about 5 years on the NHS after being referred by my local GP. They were provided through Specsavers who were excellent in all respects. I have recently had them replaced ( again foc ) and again by Specsavers. Technology has clearly moved on from my first pair as the new ones are substantially better.
As regards appearance I have the beige coloured ‘over ear’ type which are certainly not noticeable and most people are surprised when they realise I am wearing them.
As I said earlier Specsavers, having all the latest technology, have provided an excellent service and I would strongly recommend them.
I have tried ‘private’ aids costing around £3800 and found them no better.
Strongly suggest that you go through the process - your quality of life will be much improved. Good luck.

I'm 82 and have just got some new hearing aids from the NHS. via their in-house link with Chime.

I have found everything to be absolutely first class, from the first assessment appointment to having them fitted.

My aids use the Bluetooth connection via my phone and, I can adjust the volume and the direction of the surrounding sounds via the Signia App. I can also adjust the balance (treble and bass) via the app.

If I run into any problems with the aids I can connect with the help department via the app and, if the problem is of a certain type they can adjust the aids remotely avoiding the need to make an appointment to visit.

My wife often comments that although I wear the aids all day, she cannot see them, so there's no need for anyone to worry about feeling self-conscious when wearing them. They are really comfortable to wear, so much so that when I leap into the sack I often find I've still got them in!

I think that it's a no-brainer to go down the NHS route. It's all FREE and, they give you a card to present each time you need to pick up a quantity of replacement batteries which can be obtained from a number of outlets.

Have a browse through this link to the Signia App
https://www.signia.net/en-gb/connectivity/signia-app/

Last edited:
Almost everyone seems to be walking about with ear-buds in their ears these days. I'm 83 and my hearing is fine but if I needed hearing aids, I would be the least bit self-conscious about wearing them, any more than I am about the specs I wear.

There are seven broad types of hearing aids for which the pros and cons vary, as does the price.

This is quite informative:

►In the Ear hearing aids (ITE)

►Behind the Ear hearing aids (BTE)

►Completely in the Canal hearing aids (CIC)

►Receiver in the Ear hearing aids (RIC)

►Invisible in the Canal hearing aids (IIC)

►In the Canal hearing aids (ITC)

►Completely in the Canal hearing aids (CIC)

What are the common Hearing Aid Types?

Hope that helps.

I'm another keen NHS supporter, living in Hampshire. I'm now on my second pair of Oticon hearing aids and currently have their Engage model. These connect to their phone app via Bluetooth to adjust volume, mode etc.
NHS provide replacement batteries, transparent tubing and domes all free. Such a difference and all free. For me the 3 month wait was well worth the saving of at least £2000 at Specsavers or more elsewhere.
David Ward

...and I know it's stupid, I would be a bit self conscious about wearing them over my ear...
I understand that people are self conscious about hearing aids, but unless you are some miracle of aging by retirement age or thereabouts you are going to look old. Old people have deteriorating hearing & so it's fairly normal for them to have hearing aids. IE, people expect it and are unlikely to comment, except perhaps in relief that they do not need to shout anymore.
P.s. I'm early 50's and my hearing isn't great anymore.

Just one word of warning if you have "behind the ear" aid. Be VERY careful taking off mask, head torch, even glasses or close-fitting hat. The aid can very easily get flicked out and disappear!! Lost one of mine for an hour or so after trip to compost heap, but fortunately found it just inside house door where I'd taken off head torch. Then flicked one out in the carpark of a local pharmacy when removing N95 mask.
At over £1000 a throw, be ******* careful!

Just one word of warning if you have "behind the ear" aid. Be VERY careful taking off mask, head torch, even glasses or close-fitting hat. The aid can very easily get flicked out and disappear!! Lost one of mine for an hour or so after trip to compost heap, but fortunately found it just inside house door where I'd taken off head torch. Then flicked one out in the carpark of a local pharmacy when removing N95 mask.
One more advantage of the NHS - only £75 a throw. I should know , I've lost 4 through the sort of reasons you quote. I now have them tethered to my glasses.
Brian

When I got my last set of behind the ear aids they were always falling out. When I went back for replacement tubes and I got the ones with a little bit of thin plastic which you curl and it helps hold the earpiece against the ear which stopped the falling out issue apart from occasionally when removing face masks.

I had two generations of Seebotek (USA brand developed via Siemens in Germany). Expensive and if you needed to push their output then you'd get howl round/feed back (squealing sound...). They are the type which have a mini speaker in your ear and the small capsule behind your ear. True they're hardly noticeable - but after two generations I went over the NHS - provided initially via Hear Base in Folkestone and Kent etc...; then recently was moved over to Spec Savers. Both those suppliers use the acoustic tube with a soft "dome" insert into your ear. I was surprised how loud they could be pushed if necessary and no feed back/howl round...

They (the behind the ear capsule) are a little larger than many of the private pay for them brands etc, but in truth most people don't see them. I wouldn't go back to private etc. unless forced too. NHS also provides the batteries free (if of pensionable age?). If you're willing to pay a little you can get an NHS version with bluetooth included, but I don't see the point. Spec Savers (my local branch at least) did a good job on retesting my damaged hearing and so on; actually better than Hear Base. The branches are in effect locally owned stores in some kind of franchise and thus far I've been very impressed with their audiology services. And after from getting used to them as they are little larger than the aforementioned Seebotek, I'm very happy with them. They have quite a range of volume control too... and will have the telephone option included - and possibly other add-ins if they feel they are of value to you? It's a no brainer - go get your NHS test arranged (via your GP I think is the first step?) and go for the standard NHS issue. Many people aren't aware that I wear the NHS aids - let alone that wear anythng at all; unless they see me either changing a battery, or adjustng them and so on.

Bear in mind that as your hearing degrades your ability to distinguish back ground noise from what you wish to hear degrades too. Hearing aids "may" help that restore a little - but not fully (if at all). One uses different frequencies in both ears to to achieve the distinguishing, seperation of general noise from what you wish to hear. But once you get used to having even the NHS issue aids... you'll find it all much better overall; and with a wide ranging volume control you can reduce the levle onoise etc if in a busy workshop and so on; and certainly when on noisey public transport systems...

My very fussy aunt bought expensive Amplifon, her expectations were far too high and she was never happy with them. The technician was with her quit literally every week to tweak them. So don't expect perfect hearing in all situations.
My mum had relatively expensive Amplifon, she has had dementia for some time, one of them would never stay in despite being changed several times and she was rarely aware it had come out and wouldn't be working.
My dad refused to have them because he was worried they would take his driving licence off him if he was found to be deaf. As a consequence there was always a lot of angry shouting between mum and dad as they often misunderstood what the other was saying.
My other younger aunt also has expensive Amplifon, she seems relatively happy with them but her hearing still isn't 100%.
Sadly, it will never be 100% with hearing devices. They are meant to help boost lost frequencies ( usually the upper ones). They are better than no devicess for most people.

My very fussy aunt bought expensive Amplifon, her expectations were far too high and she was never happy with them. The technician was with her quit literally every week to tweak them. So don't expect perfect hearing in all situations.
A friend paid near 3K for a pair. Then refused to wear them when out, scared she might lose them.

NHS charged me £80 to replace lost Phonak Nathos. Haven't lost one since!
They are about 5 years old and am getting replacement set in a few weeks, presumably an upgrade. Still zero cost.

Last edited:
A lot of people (school age and upwards) wearing ear buds most of the day - for whatever reasons - are already on their way to early loss of hearing... So often others can hear the audio output from those easr buds - 'cos frequently they're already blasting out at a high level.

it's quite a heavy subject and it's actually going to be expensive, my grandfather is using one now too. as if everything is ok

I been wearing 'behind the ears' type now for about a year, (tried the in ear 'bud' types, and like the headphones style, they simply wouldn't stay in for me LOL), but rather than the 'try to hide it' style, just went the 'black ones'- simply because half the people I know wear 'over the ear' style phone earpieces practically all day for work, and so most people simply assume I am wearing one of those LOL
I actually wish I had sprung for the slightly more expensive ones - can't remember the brand but they were indeed actually both a hearing aid AND a 'bluetooth phone earpiece' in the one unit- they function as a hearing aid and connect to your phone etc as a bluetooth earpiece...
Worth checking out, as there seems to be many companies going this route now (plus they can apparently be adjusted without the need for a tech, just fiddle with the frequency curves until it sounds best, using an app on your phone to adjust the frequency curves on the hearing aid...)- that alone could make a considerable cost savings (mine had to be adjusted twice- the service charge on that was actually higher than if I had just sprung extra for the bluetooth one in the first place!!!!)
Plus you can connect them to your phone to listen to music or make phone calls, and even some TV's now have a bluetooth connection so you can either have the sound set for the 'norms' or when (like me) you have late nights because of insomnia, you could have the TV on without disturbing the better half lol- that alone would have been worth the extra cost lol

I been wearing 'behind the ears' type now for about a year, (tried the in ear 'bud' types, and like the headphones style, they simply wouldn't stay in for me LOL), but rather than the 'try to hide it' style, just went the 'black ones'- simply because half the people I know wear 'over the ear' style phone earpieces practically all day for work, and so most people simply assume I am wearing one of those LOL
I actually wish I had sprung for the slightly more expensive ones - can't remember the brand but they were indeed actually both a hearing aid AND a 'bluetooth phone earpiece' in the one unit- they function as a hearing aid and connect to your phone etc as a bluetooth earpiece...
Worth checking out, as there seems to be many companies going this route now (plus they can apparently be adjusted without the need for a tech, just fiddle with the frequency curves until it sounds best, using an app on your phone to adjust the frequency curves on the hearing aid...)- that alone could make a considerable cost savings (mine had to be adjusted twice- the service charge on that was actually higher than if I had just sprung extra for the bluetooth one in the first place!!!!)
Plus you can connect them to your phone to listen to music or make phone calls, and even some TV's now have a bluetooth connection so you can either have the sound set for the 'norms' or when (like me) you have late nights because of insomnia, you could have the TV on without disturbing the better half lol- that alone would have been worth the extra cost lol
NHS- free in UK including service and replacement etc. Might get charged a nominal amount if you lose one.
Mine are Phonak Naida, recent upgrade from Nathos. Various optional adjustments available if wanted, like bluetooth.

At 86 you are well past the age when a man doesn't have to care about what others think.

One of my father's best friends started appearing increaingly senile year by year in his early 70-ies and all who know him were totally convinced he had become gaga. He was becoming concerned about it himself too.
Just by chance he ended up testing his hearing and found that he had not only very bad hearing but also very uneven hearing over the frequency spectrum. He got hearing aids and suddenly he was his old youthful and sharp self again. His uneven hearing had distorted what little he heard of what people said so he had been going around missunderstanding people for years all while the constant confusion tired his brain

Go for it!

The age when you can stop caring about what others think is 18 by the way.......

+1 for NHS Phonak ones, having finally persuaded GP to refer me it took less than 6 weeks to get one sorted and that included an MRI as I have one sided HF loss.

Batteries are free in this area, as are replacement tubes

I've always struggled with my hearing. In high school, I was told that I was tone-deaf. Recently, I purchased my very first pair of earbuds and made an intriguing discovery – my ability to hear seems to fade when I move my head or even when I yawn. A pivotal moment to note is my determination to consistently order hearing aid supplies. This precaution ensures that I never run out of batteries for my hearing aids, which are essential for me to enjoy a fuller auditory experience

Latest posts

Back