Adapting woodworking skills to another field

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyheathhays

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to dip my toes into trying some larger resin projects and I think I've decided on the first one. I'm gonna try to replicate a kids table that has a lot of what I think are thin felt circles embedded in the resin. It's possible the circles are made out of something else; felt was just my first guess. I really don't want to cut out all those circles and the process of batch running lent itself to woodworking, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has an idea how I could churn these things out using some kind of pattern replication system? Sometimes ideas for things like this come to mind, and other times it takes a minute. Would love to hear your ideas.

Also, I think I'm changing my screen name to Off-topic Toonces? Yays or nays?

color circles.jpg

The felt circles would likely have been cut using a rule die and suitable press.

I suspect you could not cut them yourself cheaper than you could buy them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282115089545
The mass-produced ones will have been nested on the rectilinear raw material to make most efficient use of the area thus minimising waste.

I'm guessing that is not going to be cheap to make. You will need a LOT of felt circles or the felt and CNC machine. Is it cost effective?

Colin
Is buying all that resin cost effective? The man has a vision and the right to decide how to spend his time and money,besides it makes a very welcome break from river tables.

The felt, unless first saturated with resin, will have air bubbles embedded which may lead it to float on top of the resin and not form nice even discs.

You may get the same effect by using coloured plastic sheets - once embedded in resin there is no weight/texture to differentiate.

I would just say that I would do a tiny test one first, a coaster or something. The reason being that the felt will trap air, which might cause unsightly bubbles to form in the resin. I suspect the one in the picture might have been made with a vacuum chamber to de gas the resin completely.

For cutting the circles I suggest doing it with punches or dies (like big cookie cutters ) you may be able to buy these or make some yourself.

Ollie

I think I was typing at the same time as @Terry - Somerset ..

Last edited:
Is buying all that resin cost effective? The man has a vision and the right to decide how to spend his time and money,besides it makes a very welcome break from river tables.
Worn thumbs, I was not passing judgement on the rights of an individual to spend their time and money as they wish. I was simply asking a question. I also did not mention the resin cost but that of the felt and CNC .

Colin

Worn thumbs, I was not passing judgement on the rights of an individual to spend their time and money as they wish. I was simply asking a question. I also did not mention the resin cost but that of the felt and CNC .

Colin

Point noted.It might be extended as to whether any of us could actually justify the outlay on tools and materials when Ikea can provide us with furniture for less cost and less effort.We do these things because we have a need to create.

Second hand sissix big shot or similar off eBay an a nested set of dies would be a cheap start, can't speak for the resin side though

Last edited:
A few years ago I was ‘given the task’ of cutting hundreds of fabric circles. My lathe seems the appropriate tool. Can’t find any pics of the circles , only the off cuts . I used a really sharp pointed craft knife to do the cut at quite fast revs. Worked a dream .
136771C2-33D1-4BEE-AFAB-D2E623E06BEA.jpeg
D00E8D86-3DDA-489E-89BE-28D72DA41367.jpeg
67C13CDC-3D9E-4111-8794-54A40A4F2491.jpeg

Back