hearing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit off topic but I guess it'll happen to a lot of us as we get older and that is, loss of hearing. I'll be 86 this year and I'm finding I tend to guess a lot at what people are saying when in conversation with them. Also, when watching tele my good lady often says, "blimey that's loud" and I'm thinking it's quite low So, I suppose at some point I ought to look at getting some hearing aids although, and I know it's stupid, I would be a bit self conscious about wearing them over my ear.

So, just wondered if anyone is in the same position and has had some Specsaver or Amplifon in ear type ones fitted and could share their experience and also what the average cost would be.

Appreciate any advice, thanks

Bit off topic but I guess it'll happen to a lot of us as we get older and that is, loss of hearing. I'll be 86 this year and I'm finding I tend to guess a lot at what people are saying when in conversation with them. Also, when watching tele my good lady often says, "blimey that's loud" and I'm thinking it's quite low So, I suppose at some point I ought to look at getting some hearing aids although, and I know it's stupid, I would be a bit self conscious about wearing them over my ear.

So, just wondered if anyone is in the same position and has had some Specsaver or Amplifon in ear type ones fitted and could share their experience and also what the average cost would be.

Appreciate any advice, thanks
Same happened to me but much younger.
Top quality hearing aids cost a bomb but are free on the NHS with very good backup etc. Not quite the range of choice as private. The only prob is waiting times. See your GP first. NHS will check you for other causes and maybe a CT scan etc.
You might just need a de-wax.

Starting to have issues but local GP won't refer to audiology due to waiting list. Nearest private provider wants £4k per ear.
Any metal spinners on here? I need a trumpet!😄

My 83 year old uncle noticed hearing loss in mid 70's, having spent earlier life as a production engineer in noisy factories.
He ended up at Specsavers. He is very pleased with his hearing aids, costs and service provided.

Colin

Agree with the others, NHS good. I'm on my second pair now, the first ones became obsolete. These are a vast improvement. I can enjoy listening to music again.
Brian

Member of the same club. SWMBO was constantly nagging at me over my hearing which I had just attributed to her mumbling..anyhoo she finally got me an appointment at the quacks (over a separate issue with a possible perforated eardrum) where they carried out a test on my hearing which was quite an eye opener in revealing how poor my offside listener was. Currently waiting to be summoned to the ent department at our local hospital for further testing and to see what my options are although, wait for it….I’ve not heard anything back from them yet..boom,boom.

Having worn hearing aids for decades both NHS and private I am now on NHS ones and they are very good. Locally (Warrington) the NHS hearing service is very good with very short waiting lists. I was referred and got my last set between lockdowns.

I have always worn the over ear ones starting with the old beige NHS and having spoken to many audiologists they always recommended the over ear ones. I would not worry about the appearance, the benefits outweigh any disadvantages. Being able to hear what people are saying makes a big difference to social occasions and it does mean I stand a chance of hearing the mumbling on TV without having to rely on subtitles

My problems were noise induced. I went on a clay pigeon shooting course in my youth, was not offered and did not think to ask about ear protection. It was a week before I could understand what people were saying to me. The doctor I saw said I had not ruptured my ear drums but had broken blood vessels on them and my high frequency hearing was stuffed. He was not wrong.

I'm in a similar position to others above. SWMBO has been "mumbling" for years now, the TV gets quiet and loud, NOT at regular intervals, and it's been difficult to make out some words during normal conversations.

Because I'm not a UK resident I cannot advise about the NHS v private (it's all "private" in Switzerland) and I can't talk about UK prices either (though I must say I was surprised at some of the, IME of here, high private prices quoted above).

BUT I hope the following general observations will help others - I've had my present hearing aids (both ears) for about 18 months now:

1. The little "pod" hangs over the ear. It's silver in my case, but due to my ear's shape and the fact that I wear glasses, you'd have to come VERY close to me before you could see anything "clipped" onto my ears (in fact they don't "clip", they hang by gravity plus the stiffness of the tiny transparent plastic tube connected to the in-ear pieces);

2. The in-ear pieces are moulded (specially, to fit my own ear canals) from transparent "slightly soft but stiff" plastic material. They are VERY comfortable - e.g. you should NOT get the electronics wet, and more than once I have stepped into the shower and ALMOST turned the water on, forgetting I was still wearing them!;

3. The TV is still a bit of a nuisance (the ads ALWAYS seem to get louder than the programme - still) but as I listen more to radio (music and speech) this isn't really a problem for me;

4. Music and speech are MUCH improved - even SWMBO has stopped mumbling!;

5. I'm a member of a choir, and firstly, no one has mentioned the fact that I'm now wearing hearing aids (with those transparent ear pieces and the almost completely hidden silver electronics pod they really are virtually invisible). Secondly I hear "everything" now, which when you consider that we practice in a rather echoing school hall, is quite an achievement;

6. For me the only downside was getting used to them in the first place - that took me about a couple of weeks. And initially, I had some problems with hearing too much "sssssssssssssssssss" in some speech. That was no problem, the deal with the audiologist here includes in the price a "service contract". The the whole caboosh is checked by them: initially after a week; then a month; then every quarter afterwards. You go into a "silent booth" with all sorts of gear and they can test and adjust the "sssssssssssssss ing" quickly and easily. Took 2 goes to get it right - i.e. a month after first wearing them;

7. I do wear headsets for listening and for the phone sometimes (via PC), and also wear ear defenders for noisy jobs in the shop. NO problems at all.

In short, though I admit I was both "shy" and embarrassed, when I finally bit the bullet I was sad that I hadn't done it much earlier. (The audiologist told me that hearing loss due to age - I'm 77 - does not usually happen suddenly, it's normally a gradual deterioration. By the time you start to notice it yourself, it's usually PAST time to bite the bullet).

Sorry I can't talk about UK pricing, appointments, NHS, etc. But other than that I'd say go for it. None outside your own really close circle will even notice it.

HTH

Last edited:
Starting to have issues but local GP won't refer to audiology due to waiting list. Nearest private provider wants £4k per ear.
Any metal spinners on here? I need a trumpet!😄
NHS hearing aids are good quality, and cheap to replace when (not if) you lose one. You need to get on the waiting list

NHS hearing aids are good quality, and cheap to replace when (not if) you lose one. You need to get on the waiting list

Yes, I lost one of mine after about 6 months. (It happen during a heavy rainstorm and getting back indoors I pulled my anorak hood over my head, dropping one of the complete ear sets into "the ether". Never did find it)! So YES, most probably you WILL loose one!

The replacement was NOT cheap, but in view of the fact that it was ME who lost it (nothing at all to do with the hearing aid people) I couldn't really complain, could I? Actually, the company and I did a deal, and I now have an upgraded version of my original, and got the 2 new ones for the price of just the one replacement.

Don't want to/cannot get into the NHS v private debate. Just too far out of touch with UK conditions. But PERHAPS the private system does give firms a bit more price flexibility than the UK system? Dunno. NOT going there.

Im 57 , and noticing differences in sound sometimes dull, sometimes clear as a bell, I know its bad for you but Im in the habit of blowing whilst holding my nose, using vicks nasel and cotton buds daily, eccentric I know , I think being around machinery all my life may be the cause, I tend to use ear defenders whilst working on projects and that seems to help a little , but also at the point of having them checked because I find it annoying

Im 57 , and noticing differences in sound sometimes dull, sometimes clear as a bell, I know its bad for you but Im in the habit of blowing whilst holding my nose, using vicks nasel and cotton buds daily, eccentric I know , I think being around machinery all my life may be the cause, I tend to use ear defenders whilst working on projects and that seems to help a little , but also at the point of having them checked because I find it annoying

Yeah, DO IT.

I think my problem stared off in much the same way as yours. Exposed to a lot of jet engine noise, WITHOUT wearing ear defenders, even though they were provided. That sounds a really stupid decision by me, but I was not alone. Most of us didn't, for "safety" reasons. Takes too long and off topic to discuss details here, but at the time, with NIL "anti-collison" lights fitted to the aircraft, you could NOT see which one of a line of aircraft was actually running it's engines. So rather bad hearing "later on" than getting burnt by a jet pipe or sucked into an intake today.

Not sure about your Vicks nasal usage, but the rule of thumb seems to be "if you're noticing loss of hearing acuity, even only sometimes, then it's definitely time to get professional advice.

As said, DO IT mate!

Latest posts

Back