Disappointed with Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volksfish

Established Member
Reaction score
As im relatively new to turning, i thought id have a go at a salt mill, so purchased a kit from Axminster. As I didn’t know what i was doing, I followed instructions from the Axminster website. All went well untill putting the thing together i realised that all the holes i had drilled in the bottom for the mechanism were a couple of millimetres out. After measuring up the parts they were different sizes to stated in the instructions. Emailed Axminster , but had no reply, so today i called them. The guy on the phone started off helpful, turns out the mechanism i have is different to the instructions as they no longer sell that one. He was going to send me a new grind mechanism untill he realised they had not actually sent me the instructions, but i had downloaded them off there website. Seemed to think that was my fault, although they were the only instructions on there! Shame as i liked Axminster stuff, but now have a bitter taste in my mouth for the sake of £8. Rant over!

I hate to hear of experiences like this because although I’m not a business owner or businessman I’m of the opinion that if I spend £8 I expect the same level of service as if I had spent £80 or £8,000 etc . Shame on Axminster as£8 to them is nothing but they could have handled this better. All the same I,d not let it stop me from making further orders but just be more aware. Sounds like a case of you being honest and axi have used this as a get out of jail card ..

Phone them again (hopefully you will speak to another person) and tell them you are not happy with the service provided and you are not in any way- shape or form at fault for them not providing the correct instructions for your purchase,forcing you to visit their website to get the required information which through no fault of your own were not the correct instructions for the product they sold to you.

Last edited:
Similar sitn to me, I bought some stuff based on the website product picture. What turned up was different, so gave them a call. Net is the product had changed somewhat but the website hadn't been updated. Axi were very apologetic and offered a refund. I felt they had been excellent in handling my query.

Just to check: the instructions for each grinder mechanism are on each page where they are sold; were the wrong instructions on the wrong page, or did you go to wrong page and download instructions for a different grinder than you bought?
If the first one, then I agree that is not good by Axi. If it’s the second option then I can’t see why it’s their fault; it’s like being annoyed at Currys for selling more than 1 washing machine.

i have no complaints about Axminster at all all of their kit that i have used is quite good, bearing in mind that it is aimed at the basic end of the market. when i have visited the shop their advice is always good and helpful. RGB

Just to check: the instructions for each grinder mechanism are on each page where they are sold; were the wrong instructions on the wrong page, or did you go to wrong page and download instructions for a different grinder than you bought?
If the first one, then I agree that is not good by Axi. If it’s the second option then I can’t see why it’s their fault; it’s like being annoyed at Currys for selling more than 1 washing machine.
I had bought the kit a few months ago and i admit i down loaded from Axminster website. I have just checked on the order page and if you follow the instructions the measurements are still wrong.

Maybe just a bad moment for that staff member…I’ve had nothing but excellent service from them in the past..,we’re all human…

I think Axminster may be struggling with things at the moment, Gone are the glory days of expansion.
I recall they closed 2 stores recently , Must be feeling the pinch financially , Anything they can save all helps at the cost of customer satisfaction.

I really don't think you can base an opinion of a company on the result of speaking to one person. That person might be new or just not following their customer service guidelines properly. If however their manager (assuming its not the manager you spoke to) says the same thing, .. then yeah .. fair enough. Not good.

I've had a few cases where I have had issues and in my experience, they have been fantastic.

In the past I have always found Axminster very helpful, although in recent years their prices have started to become quite uncompetitive.

I have just moved house and am setting up a workshop. Part of this is dust extraction. Axminster sell a 63mm kit for £154. Yandles and some other companies do a very similar Record kit for £100. Guess which I had delivered.

I would be surprised if for the sake of a few ££ Axminster would want to alienate a customer when replacement or refund wins a customer for years.

However I have to be honest - it is probably folk like me who are making their life difficult by buying online, which means for them it is no longer worth the expense of physical stores or DIY hobbyists.

Even if you visit a store around here there's a very good chance they won't stock what you're looking for anyway. Do I waste an hour or three and £n of diesel searching for something I know ahead of time I'm going to need or order it with 24/48 hour delivery?

I think you cite a wider problem - with councils making it harder and harder to visit physical stores with parking fees and traffic fines, Internet ordering becomes more and more attractive.

Then they wonder why the high street is dying. Remember, there is no situation a politician cannot make worse.
Perhaps if councils hadn’t been starved of funds over the years they wouldn’t need to scrabble around for every penny they can get.

Perhaps if councils hadn’t been starved of funds over the years they wouldn’t need to scrabble around for every penny they can get.

Even the London Councils with the low Council Tax, who are clearly not starved of funds, charge for parking.

But my argument is that it does not actually raise money in the overall big picture if the shops close down or relocate or we buy off the Internet

Back