Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lons":usg636mm said:
Selwyn":usg636mm said:
RogerS":usg636mm said:
So LOML is going out shopping each week or so. At least she has a decent mask now and where we live, the number of infections are pretty low.

Mind you, she opened up a bit about what it was like walking up the High Street last week with bored grown men coughing and spitting at people walking past...grown men or as I call them low-life, knuckle-dragging scum that need a bullet between the eyes. So she's not walking up there again. I offered to go with her but she told me I'd have to leave my rifle behind which kinda takes the fun out of it.

Wow. Big man
So you don't mind sc*m deliberately coughing and spitting at people by the sound of it. :roll:
not only coughing and spitting being bad enough but possibly infecting others with a life threatening virus my god i despair.
There is going to be a case where this happens and someone dies imo the spitters should be charged with murder, manslaughter at the very least. I am far from perfect far from perfect but i wouldnt dream of being a) so disgusting and b) so incredibly effing stupid

I do mind (although the portion of people doing this would be miniscule) but I certainly wouldn't be saying they need to be killed by a stranger for doing it.

Selwyn":3rrn4ava said:
I do mind (although the portion of people doing this would be miniscule) but I certainly wouldn't be saying they need to be killed by a stranger for doing it.

Hyperbole, Selwyn. It's been a standard technique of writers for centuries.

Used by insecure writers who don't have a point to make without exaggeration.

D_W":5auivl9d said:
Used by insecure writers who don't have a point to make without exaggeration.

:roll: :roll: Like William Shakespeare, for instance. Or Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Or WH Auden. Harper Lee did it beautifully. Oh, and the writers of the bible (whoever they were).

I have no idea whether this is a widespread problem (coughing and spitting not shooting people) but I have heard and seen far more examples of positive rather than negative behaviour over the past few weeks. It would be good if when we get through to the other side of this some of it sticks.

MikeG.":3t4cf88k said:
Selwyn":3t4cf88k said:

Hyperbole, Selwyn. It's been a standard technique of writers for centuries.

Or just panic inflating nonsense

My experience is that the vast majority of people are behaving responsibly and leaving plenty of space when out taking exercise. I had one instance when my me and my wife were walking back from the bank. The pavement in the village main street is wide, enough room for probably five people to walk abreast. Three women were approaching us walking three abreast, we went single file, there was no attempt made to distance themselves.

On the negative side, and in response to one of the above posts, Dorset Police are looking for two youths who knocked a care worker on her way to work to the ground by hitting her across the back of the head with a bag of some sort, then one kicked her in the back and spat in her face saying, "You've now got Corona" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Apparently the other youth was telling him to stop.

Nigel.

I've been keeping my distance when exercising, cycling has been great with no cars on the road, love it.

thetyreman":3dz0z448 said:
I've been keeping my distance when exercising, cycling has been great with no cars on the road, love it.

Here here! Returned from a walk with the Mrs and we did enjoy how quiet it was.
A guy was washing his car and on seeing us he got inside it, sat down and then got out once we passed. Not sure if this was because of the current situation or because he didn't like the look of us haha.

thetyreman":222dylon said:
.......cycling has been great with no cars on the road, love it.

That's going to be the marker for my complete return to health.....getting back on my bike. At the moment I'm not up to it, but hopefully in a week or two. This time last year I was training for a 1000 mile ride to Spain. Now, I reckon I'd struggle with a 1000 metre ride around the block.

Went to Tesco to pick up my next 10 or so days worth of food. Everyone seemed to be doing a good job of following the rules except for a small group of staff, 3-4 girls all stood around a bread trolley chatting. Like within a few feet of each other ....

I shouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe they all live to togeather?

Anyhow - the shelves were pretty well stocked. Got most of what I wanted.

My son's gone into isolation. Started a sore throat and a cough but no known temperature or lethargy on Thursday. He thinks it's a cold but obviously not taking any chances, and it's not become any worse. He's been working from home for the past couple of weeks and has not been going out only to buy essential items. So my wife is doing his shopping now.

Nigel.

MikeG.":1sidvlmw said:
thetyreman":1sidvlmw said:
.......cycling has been great with no cars on the road, love it.

That's going to be the marker for my complete return to health.....getting back on my bike. At the moment I'm not up to it, but hopefully in a week or two. This time last year I was training for a 1000 mile ride to Spain. Now, I reckon I'd struggle with a 1000 metre ride around the block.
There's one thing to be wary of with viral infections and that is that you may feel generally recovered but there may still be dangers. A former colleague of mine had a bad cold. Once he felt OK again he went for a run with one of my mates and unfortunately after a couple of miles he dropped down dead. The post mortem revealed that the virus had infected his heart tissue while producing no symptoms. However, it meant that his heart was weakened to the extent that the exertion from running made it burst.

I don't know if corona has form for that sort of thing but you may want to take it easy for a while just to be on the safe side.

covid-19 has a bad reputation (hopefully only for people who have a predisposition) for the same thing - terminal patients who felt improved (but generally in someone with known risks - high blood pressure, heart disease).

D_W":1di4f0fj said:
covid-19 has a bad reputation (hopefully only for people who have a predisposition) for the same thing - terminal patients who felt improved (but generally in someone with known risks - high blood pressure, heart disease).

Not at all. Check out many of the detailed and accurate online reports. Covid-19 doesn't really seem that bothered with co-morbidities.

I've been ignoring this thread for a bit - all a bit too much, but here's an interesting thing: I think I have/have had the virus.

My lovely wife hasn't been out in public for just short of two weeks, but came down with a tickly cough, felt a little lethargic for a couple of days, and is now over it, except for a less than bothersome cough. I had about 6 hours of "I think I'm coming down with something" - felt a bit spaced out and detached, and itchy gums, which is always my precursor to a good cold. It developed into nothing at all.

So, having been almost completely quarantined, and pretty careful on the two occasions we went out in to the world, we got "something" anyway. No idea if it is the dreaded lurgy, because the symptoms are so mild. No idea how we caught it - possibly from fruit? It's just a guess. Even if we didn't catch Covid19, we caught "something", which shows that quarantine doesn't work unless you go to extreme bio-lab levels of paranoia. Wash all your food, cook EVERYTHING, wash your hands before and after food prep - assume every single thing that has come into your house from outside is evil and radioactive...and then virus particles rain out of the sky anyway - no hiding from them. https://www.livescience.com/61689-virus ... m-sky.html

I haven't read the last 10 pages or so of this thread- I hope everyone is doing well despite all of the chaos. Latest estimation I have seen suggests dropping the house arrest no earlier than 1st July, but who knows what the politicians will decide.

I've just got my hands on a 3,500 page book - I may be gone for some time :)

Trainee neophyte":125vk11t said:
I've been ignoring this thread for a bit - all a bit too much, but here's an interesting thing: I think I have/have had the virus.

My lovely wife hasn't been out in public for just short of two weeks, but came down with a tickly cough, felt a little lethargic for a couple of days, and is now over it, except for a less than bothersome cough. I had about 6 hours of "I think I'm coming down with something" - felt a bit spaced out and detached, and itchy gums, which is always my precursor to a good cold. It developed into nothing at all.

So, having been almost completely quarantined, and pretty careful on the two occasions we went out in to the world, we got "something" anyway. No idea if it is the dreaded lurgy, because the symptoms are so mild. No idea how we caught it - possibly from fruit? It's just a guess. Even if we didn't catch Covid19, we caught "something", which shows that quarantine doesn't work unless you go to extreme bio-lab levels of paranoia. Wash all your food, cook EVERYTHING, wash your hands before and after food prep - assume every single thing that has come into your house from outside is evil and radioactive...and then virus particles rain out of the sky anyway - no hiding from them. https://www.livescience.com/61689-virus ... m-sky.html

I haven't read the last 10 pages or so of this thread- I hope everyone is doing well despite all of the chaos. Latest estimation I have seen suggests dropping the house arrest no earlier than 1st July, but who knows what the politicians will decide.

I've just got my hands on a 3,500 page book - I may be gone for some time :)
μέγα βιβλίον μέγα κακόν !

Trainee neophyte":ngbcxvti said:
I've been ignoring this thread for a bit - all a bit too much, but here's an interesting thing: I think I have/have had the virus.........

Hope you're OK, TN, and I hope it is as mild as you think it is. However, the big lesson from my wife's illness and my illness is that it comes in waves. You think you've got it beaten, and it comes back harder, even after 2 or 3 days of feeling completely well. Just be cautious and observant, and take things really steady. Don't declare victory just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back