• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Frog tape Masking tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
Heads up if any body needs masking tape. Frog masking tape in Tesco down from £7 to £1.75. Check out any reduced area in the shop as well as the usual shelf location.

It was always overpriced. I stick to blue tape from a certain online shop. Much better value.

Heads up if any body needs masking tape. Frog masking tape in Tesco down from £7 to £1.75. Check out any reduced area in the shop as well as the usual shelf location.
I found it 'rubbish!' It does NOT like to stick to itself. Good ole 3M [or equivalent] every time for me. I've done my share of paint spraying pre retirement, & before the 'powers that be' clamped down on car spray paint supply. One can still buy it, BUT, you have to say it's for a tractor!
You don't see many tractors painted in 'chameleon', maybe a Lamborghini?

It's rubbish. the claim to give clean lines after painting due to the "no bleed technology" is frankly bullocks. I and others I've worked with have used it and it ALWAYS bleeds, it ALWAYS peels up the edge.

I've got pictures of proof of this - they claim the yellow "low tack" version can be used on paint only 24 hours old and won't lift it - bullocks. When I contacted frog about it they claimed I "had used it wrong" - it's masking tape, I'm not a retard.

20211205_164409.jpg

This was one of multiple colour divisions in a childs bedroom in a random abstract pattern I did last year for a client, the grey was painted, edge masked with YELLOW "low tack" frog tape then the red the next day, you can it it lifted and it's like this on almost the whole length, so I freehanded it.

Every single edge ended like this. I was NOT happy, this isn't my standard of work.

This was before I discovered the prodec.

Best masking tape for a clean crisp line, no bleed AND it can be left for more than a WEEK without issue is Prodec advance precision edge. this stuff Ive used the prodec on multiple decorating jobs, crisp line no bleed, no lift on day old paint, no peel EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

it's also cheaper.

Even at 1.75 a roll for frog, if its rubbish, it's rubbish that's my semi professional opinion and that of 2 other professional painter decorators. frog is yet another product that lives on hype not performance IMHO

I agree that Prodec precision edge is very good for painting. I've just used it on 11 windows and it is producing a nice crisp line. Our plasterer uses it too to mask off wood etc. I've also tried Frog for painting and agree it is just like most other average masking tapes.

For general purpose work like holding down paper or as a glue-up clamp Frog is ok. Prodec also works in glue-ups as it has sufficient stretch, but perhaps less stretchy.

The one thing I really don't like about Frog is that it comes in a plastic container, presumably to extend it's shelf life. Unnecessary plastic waste. There is too much plastic on this planet.

It's rubbish. the claim to give clean lines after painting due to the "no bleed technology" is frankly bullocks. I and others I've worked with have used it and it ALWAYS bleeds, it ALWAYS peels up the edge.

I've got pictures of proof of this - they claim the yellow "low tack" version can be used on paint only 24 hours old and won't lift it - bullocks. When I contacted frog about it they claimed I "had used it wrong" - it's masking tape, I'm not a retard.

View attachment 161733

This was one of multiple colour divisions in a childs bedroom in a random abstract pattern I did last year for a client, the grey was painted, edge masked with YELLOW "low tack" frog tape then the red the next day, you can it it lifted and it's like this on almost the whole length, so I freehanded it.

Every single edge ended like this. I was NOT happy, this isn't my standard of work.

This was before I discovered the prodec.

Best masking tape for a clean crisp line, no bleed AND it can be left for more than a WEEK without issue is Prodec advance precision edge. this stuff Ive used the prodec on multiple decorating jobs, crisp line no bleed, no lift on day old paint, no peel EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

it's also cheaper.

Even at 1.75 a roll for frog, if its rubbish, it's rubbish that's my semi professional opinion and that of 2 other professional painter decorators. frog is yet another product that lives on hype not performance IMHO
That's probably why they're trying to clear stock - no one wants it!

Latest posts

Back