Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
profchris":2nk7ihe5 said:
RogerS":2nk7ihe5 said:
profchris":2nk7ihe5 said:
[

I'd be surprised if anyone in a rural area, unless they are in a really remote place, has a problem finding someone to shop for them. .....

That's why I said 'very' rural. But even if we were living in a village, my wife is severely coeliac and has other allergies. Difficult to expect someone to spend ages reading the ingredient list!

EDIT: Thinking this through a bit more, a lot of supermarkets place limits on the number of items and so it would be unfair to ask someone to 'eat' into their 'allowance', as it were.
....... Or if your village has a pub, the landlord will know all!

Now you've done it ! :roll: I'd just about brainwashed myself into ignoring the fact that there was my local pub down the hill - closed, like the others, for the duration.

And tonight's Pub NIght ...well, it was :(

I had a similar thought Roger - I'm sure I don't have a drink problem but I am craving a pint of Black Sheep. We normally have a rota of the farmers markets to visit on Saturdays - I hadn't realised just how much I enjoyed that ritual either. For the avoidance of doubt though I can put up with it if it means people are kept safe and we get through this faster.

I was due to be flying back from India today after a combined Philippines/India business trip hubbing through Hong Kong. Apparently the President has ordered the police to shoot first and ask questions later if anyone is caught breaking the lock down in Manila. India seems to be struggling - the pictures on TV are according to one of my team out there a pretty accurate representation of how the poor were not thought about before their Prime Minister took decisive action.

An interesting example of fake news on Facebook.
more covid-19 bs.png

Which on the face of it sounds reasonable. Until you dig deeper. True...there are a lot of Chinese workers in the clothing manufacturing area of Italy which is pretty much where the trouble started. They are there because of the cachet label 'Made in Italy'. But 200,000 ? Truth is no-one actually knows because a large number of them are illegals and so they are not going to be jumping onto a plane back to China. As for the rest...they are poorly paid workers and that begs the question as to just how many went back to China.

Back to Wutan ? Who knows ? True...Wutan is an area for making clothes. But so are other cities. Such as Wenzhou, Zhejiang which is where the majority of Chinese in Prato, Italy ..one of the, if not the, largest contingent of Chinese in Italy are based (source: Reuters) . Wenzhou, Zhejiang is about 600 miles East of Wutan.

Of course, not wishing to be the whipping boy (or girl), the Chinese authorities picked up on this story and got the South China Morning Post to publish a story extolling just how smart the Chinese were in Prato and that because they went into a very early lockdown, their infection rates are considerably less than other parts of Italy.

I've not had time to dig into the veracity of that article yet.

But it just shows how fake news twists peoples' emotions.

Attachments

• more covid-19 bs.png
    more covid-19 bs.png
    498.8 KB · Views: 514
RogerS":3igqfsj3 said:
Chris152":3igqfsj3 said:

Led by science, implemented by nincompoops.

And PHE England

If you believe anon politicos spinning to the FT. A week ago, I predicted somewhere else that the civil service ("blob") would be blamed soon. I bet this is palatable blame to the people who don't like blame though.

Jake":wx4hf1j7 said:
RogerS":wx4hf1j7 said:
Chris152":wx4hf1j7 said:

Led by science, implemented by nincompoops.

And PHE England

If you believe anon politicos spinning to the FT. A week ago, I predicted somewhere else that the civil service ("blob") would be blamed soon. I bet this is palatable blame to the people who don't like blame though.

Well, that's what my wife said. And she's always right. :lol:

I have to say I fear this pandemic is going to hit the people of India very badly.

Trying to slow the virus in this country with a population of 65m seems a tall order, trying to slow it in a country of 1.3b is unimanageable.

I think people will be quite surprised at how central africa copes with this, probably a lot better than most given their recent epidemic experiences, with regard to the spread of covid 19 but I do fear that they will have a terrible time with those needing ventilating

Roger have you been contacted yet to give you a priority pass for supermarket delivery? you were quite correct about getting on that list. Ive been contacted by the asda as i am already a member and they told me i will be contacted by the other supermarkets i have to choose one and pick a delivery slot each week. Quite a relief for myself and family although im sure its no comfort for everyone who isnt classed as vulnerable.
For those in rural areas ring your local council or look online there will be a n umber to ring for those people shielded that cannot bet to the shops. They have a list of volunteers who will shop for you if you have no cash then they offer you a food bank.
Hope this helps

We got a vulnerable older relative registered as a new customer at Sainsburys last week - if you go on their website and try to register as a new customer it transfers you to a gov.uk site which asks if you've had a letter, alongwith some other personal details, and if you answer all those correctly it then authorises you as a vulnerable/priority customer (takes 24 hours to go active).
Thereafter, you order online as usual. In our experience the delivery slots are sparse, but reasonably available (in 2 - 3 days from order).

FatmanG":3jyl374d said:
Roger have you been contacted yet to give you a priority pass for supermarket delivery? you were quite correct about getting on that list. Ive been contacted by the asda as i am already a member and they told me i will be contacted by the other supermarkets i have to choose one and pick a delivery slot each week. Quite a relief for myself and family although im sure its no comfort for everyone who isnt classed as vulnerable.
For those in rural areas ring your local council or look online there will be a n umber to ring for those people shielded that cannot bet to the shops. They have a list of volunteers who will shop for you if you have no cash then they offer you a food bank.
Hope this helps

Hi...well, I think that .. at least for me..it seems to be happening in the background because suddenly I can access the slots. OK...all slots are unavailable until Jul 6...yes, not a typo.. July 6. So LOML is going out shopping each week or so. At least she has a decent mask now and where we live, the number of infections are pretty low.

Mind you, she opened up a bit about what it was like walking up the High Street last week with bored grown men coughing and spitting at people walking past...grown men or as I call them low-life, knuckle-dragging scum that need a bullet between the eyes. So she's not walking up there again. I offered to go with her but she told me I'd have to leave my rifle behind which kinda takes the fun out of it.

A few pages back there was this (IMO) egregious post made when we were discussing 'heroes'.

They made their choice knowing full well what it entailed and they are free to leave at anytime.

Analogies were made with the armed forces etc. That's actually quite a good analogy because when we send soldiers into battle we usually give them armour and a gun. And with a bit of luck they will outnumber the enemy.

We're asking the same of our medics. Only we've omitted to give many of them any armour (PPE equipment), omitted to give them a gun (testing for Covid-19..OK..not an exact analogy) and overwhelming them with numbers. So yes. IMO they are damn heroes and anyone that says otherwise is very shallow.

RogerS":9y78lely said:
FatmanG":9y78lely said:
Hope this helps

Hi...well, I think that .. at least for me..it seems to be happening in the background because suddenly I can access the slots. OK...all slots are unavailable until Jul 6...yes, not a typo.. July 6. So LOML is going out shopping each week or so. At least she has a decent mask now and where we live, the number of infections are pretty low.

Mind you, she opened up a bit about what it was like walking up the High Street last week with bored grown men coughing and spitting at people walking past...grown men or as I call them low-life, knuckle-dragging scum that need a bullet between the eyes. So she's not walking up there again. I offered to go with her but she told me I'd have to leave my rifle behind which kinda takes the fun out of it.

Wow. Big man

Selwyn":2rwn2laa said:
RogerS":2rwn2laa said:
So LOML is going out shopping each week or so. At least she has a decent mask now and where we live, the number of infections are pretty low.

Wow. Big man
So you don't mind sc*m deliberately coughing and spitting at people by the sound of it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back