Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trainee neophyte":32auwjtx said:
I've been ignoring this thread for a bit - all a bit too much, but here's an interesting thing: I think I have/have had the virus.

My lovely wife hasn't been out in public for just short of two weeks, but came down with a tickly cough, felt a little lethargic for a couple of days, and is now over it, except for a less than bothersome cough. I had about 6 hours of "I think I'm coming down with something" - felt a bit spaced out and detached, and itchy gums, which is always my precursor to a good cold. It developed into nothing at all.

So, having been almost completely quarantined, and pretty careful on the two occasions we went out in to the world, we got "something" anyway. No idea if it is the dreaded lurgy, because the symptoms are so mild. No idea how we caught it - possibly from fruit? It's just a guess. Even if we didn't catch Covid19, we caught "something", which shows that quarantine doesn't work unless you go to extreme bio-lab levels of paranoia. Wash all your food, cook EVERYTHING, wash your hands before and after food prep - assume every single thing that has come into your house from outside is evil and radioactive...and then virus particles rain out of the sky anyway - no hiding from them. https://www.livescience.com/61689-virus ... m-sky.html

I haven't read the last 10 pages or so of this thread- I hope everyone is doing well despite all of the chaos. Latest estimation I have seen suggests dropping the house arrest no earlier than 1st July, but who knows what the politicians will decide.

I've just got my hands on a 3,500 page book - I may be gone for some time :)
That link just isn't helpful; just because a whole range of viruses are airborne doesn't mean this one is. The Measles virus can be for example, but this Corona virus is not. It has to be contained within droplets or microdroplets.

The only intention in posting stuff like this is to project your own fears on other people. The result could be in incorrectly assuming that it's airborne anyway, we may as well give up on other measures like hand washing and keeping our distance - which we definitely should be keeping up.

Selwyn":o8xdp6a7 said:
Or just panic inflating nonsense

I'll tell that to my golfing partner who's mother caught Corvid-19 and very sadly died in hospital at 5am yesterday despite being ventilated. He couldn't even go to see her or the rest of his family and doesn't know what will happen with the funeral.

You really are a strange person, maybe to much time spent with those hill sheep.

i wish sky news would ask the right questions for once. Boris Johnson taken into hospital for precautions/tests has to be questioned. He must be pretty damn poorly to have to go to hospital in the first place as he will know more than anyone how stretched the NHS is at this time. If he isn't having difficulty breathing on the point of needing intervention then he shouldn't be anywhere near a hospital. If that is the case then he is wide open for accusations of favour etc like Prince Charlse got re being tested.
I hope he isn't very poorly but i fear he is.

Lons":1mve26av said:
Selwyn":1mve26av said:

I'll tell that to my golfing partner who's mother caught Corvid-19 and very sadly died in hospital at 5am yesterday despite being ventilated. He couldn't even go to see her or the rest of his family and doesn't know what will happen with the funeral.

You really are a strange person, maybe to much time spent with those hill sheep.

That's the trouble with quoting ....you see the bile and bigotry posted by someone on your Foe's list. :evil:

Good post, nevertheless, Lons, and a point well made. Especially the sheep.

Lons":3s8khci9 said:
Selwyn":3s8khci9 said:

Not at all. I've told you its a serious disease and recognise it as so. I expect 15k people will die of it in the UK. However largely despite the media circus (remember they want to keep you clicking) the overwhelming majority of people are doing what they asked and it will slow the virus. The risks of picking it up in the supermarket remain overwhelmingly unlikely.

What I don't like is talk of shooting people in the street and the falsification of the idea food shortages as a major issue (we are now chucking away British milk by the way, and the potato price has collapsed and so has the meat price)- there was no shortage of food despite you getting sand in your knickers about it and I told you there wasn't because I work in this industry.

Inducing fear, panic and nastiness does not make the disease go away quicker. It just increases a sense of national anxiety and panic's an evolving situation. Recognise there is a wider strategy to reducing the Covid and don't single out single incidents as evidence of the whole - they are not.

I fear the thread is going down the previous route of people needing to feel/feeling the need they have had the last word and/or insulting each other.

FatmanG - my sister is a nurse and is working on a Covid ward. I asked her your question as it also crossed my mind when I spoke with her last night. She didn't read too much into him being taken in and said she had seem similar happening where patients didn't have the most severe symptoms but couldn't shake it off. Scarily she also said she thought this would change quickly if the number of patients with severe symptoms increases.

I hope you are keeping okay and managing to keep woodworking to take your mind off it all!

Blackswanwood":1geev404 said:
.... Scarily she also said she thought this would change quickly if the number of patients with severe symptoms increases.

Not sure what you mean by this ..is she saying that if a lot of patients come in with severe infection that they then pass it on to others who perhaps like Boris - are not in a serious condition ? Scary thought, if so.

With tens of thousands of people now recovering from the virus, I am a little surprised that there isn't any official guidance as to how to handle this post-illness phase. Some advice on returning to work, coming out of isolation and back to the social distancing regime, resuming exercise, when it is safe to resume helping elderly family members, and so on, would all be very valuable, as would be guidance on isolation in those cases where symptoms remain well after the 14 day isolation period expires.

RogerS":1uukp3ea said:
Blackswanwood":1uukp3ea said:
.... Scarily she also said she thought this would change quickly if the number of patients with severe symptoms increases.

.......is she saying that if a lot of patients come in with severe infection that they then pass it on to others who perhaps like Boris - are not in a serious condition ? .......

That can't be the case. Those with the virus can't be given a more severe version of it. All the versions are the same when they enter your body......it's just that people react to it very differently.

I'd also be cautious about saying Boris isn't in a serious condition.

RogerS":35kw30zb said:
Blackswanwood":35kw30zb said:

Not sure what you mean by this ..is she saying that if a lot of patients come in with severe infection that they then pass it on to others who perhaps like Boris - are not in a serious condition ? Scary thought, if so.

No, as I understood it she was saying her educated guess is they have capacity in hospitals at the moment to look at less severe cases. If the number of severe cases increases they will not have and so triaging will result in resource not being allocated to look at less severe ones. I guess the demand on hospitals will be varied across the country but there were news reports in the last couple of days that London has capacity.

To be clear and to reiterate MikeG's point she is not saying Boris is not in a serious condition - she is just saying the fact he has gone to hospital doesn't necessarily mean that he is.

MikeG.":2brcx8uw said:
With tens of thousands of people now recovering from the virus, I am a little surprised that there isn't any official guidance as to how to handle this post-illness phase. Some advice on returning to work, coming out of isolation and back to the social distancing regime, resuming exercise, when it is safe to resume helping elderly family members, and so on, would all be very valuable, as would be guidance on isolation in those cases where symptoms remain well after the 14 day isolation period expires.

I agree - it is very confusing. I also have people who have recovered and are returning to work (essential service) who think they now don't need to socially distance (they do as with no testing they don't know they actually had Covid19 or just a cold) as they are now think they are immune and fellow workers not being sure if they are safe having recovered people in the building.

MikeG.":19wiaers said:

If symptoms remain after your isolation period then you are potentially infectious. Wait for 7 days until after you have no symptoms. 14 days is for everyone in the house

Selwyn":2ilrmuh4 said:
What I don't like is talk of shooting people in the street and the falsification of the idea food shortages as a major issue (we are now chucking away British milk by the way, and the potato price has collapsed and so has the meat price)- there was no shortage of food despite you getting sand in your knickers about it and I told you there wasn't because I work in this industry.

Explain why my other half was only able to purchase bread flour for the first time yesterday and only 1kg bag as being rationed by staff after not seeing a single bag on the shelves since February. Due to health concerns I am not allowed to eat nearly any massed produced pre-made food, I have to make my own pasta, bread from scratch even pasta sauces are to be made from fresh ingredients as all the pre-processed stuff has too much rubbish in it for my body ie no salt: no sugar, no transfats no msg etc. So no prick and ping etc or ready made in a tin. So where the hell has all the flour been hiding if there have been no shortages. Admittedly fresh meat seems to be as available as ever but other things are not.
So going by your statements, to me , you are talking out yer puckered orifice. The 2 largest wheat and rice exporting nations have now banned such exports. Food seeds have been banned for sale in many garden centres and big box stores to the general public and are only to be made available to registered commercial growers. If you took yer head out of the aforementioned puckered ... and did some real research as to what is going on in other parts of the food industry you would not come out with the vitriol that you have. Hope you have a well fed day unlike many others

edit typos

MikeG.":pz5o93q8 said:
Selwyn":pz5o93q8 said:
........Wait for 7 days until after you have no symptoms........

That isn't the official line.

This is what it says on Gov.uk :

Household isolation
If living with others, then all household members who remain well may end household-isolation after 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day illness began in the first person to become ill. Fourteen days is the incubation period for coronavirus; people who remain well after 14 days are unlikely to be infectious.

After 7 days, if the first person to become ill feels better and no longer has a high temperature, they can return to their normal routine. If any other family members become unwell during the 14-day household-isolation period, they should follow the same advice - that is, after 7 days of their symptoms starting, if they feel better and no longer have a high temperature, they can also return to their normal routine.

Should a household member develop coronavirus symptoms late in the 14-day household-isolation period (for example, on day 13 or day 14) the isolation period does not need to be extended, but the person with the new symptoms has to stay at home for 7 days. The 14-day household-isolation period will have greatly reduced the overall amount of infection the rest of the household could pass on, and it is not necessary to restart 14 days of isolation for the whole household. This will have provided a high level of community protection. Further isolation of members of this household will provide very little additional community protection.

At the end of the 14-day period, any family member who has not become unwell can leave household isolation.

If any ill person in the household has not had any signs of improvement and have not already sought medical advice, they should contact NHS 111 online. If your home has no internet access, you should call NHS 111.

The cough may persist for several weeks in some people, despite the coronavirus infection having cleared. A persistent cough alone does not mean someone must continue to self-isolate for more than 7 days.

MikeG.":u1swjjwo said:
Trainee neophyte":u1swjjwo said:
I've been ignoring this thread for a bit - all a bit too much, but here's an interesting thing: I think I have/have had the virus.........

Hope you're OK, TN, and I hope it is as mild as you think it is. However, the big lesson from my wife's illness and my illness is that it comes in waves. You think you've got it beaten, and it comes back harder, even after 2 or 3 days of feeling completely well. Just be cautious and observant, and take things really steady. Don't declare victory just yet.

We are absolutely fine! I had nothing at all, and the wife's cough is almost gone. May have been something else entirely, but how we caught it - no idea. I hope you and yours aredoing better now, too (I've been hiding, so I haven't followed everything here).

We will assume we are lepers for the next couple of weeks, and fingers crossed that is the last of it. Seems hugely unfair, given how other people are struggling

Now, I am going to step away from this thread again - it seems a little excitable, and I certainly won't help.

Woody2Shoes":19dtce0s said:
Trainee neophyte":19dtce0s said:
I've been ignoring this thread for a bit - all a bit too much, but here's an interesting thing: I think I have/have had the virus.

My lovely wife hasn't been out in public for just short of two weeks, but came down with a tickly cough, felt a little lethargic for a couple of days, and is now over it, except for a less than bothersome cough. I had about 6 hours of "I think I'm coming down with something" - felt a bit spaced out and detached, and itchy gums, which is always my precursor to a good cold. It developed into nothing at all.

So, having been almost completely quarantined, and pretty careful on the two occasions we went out in to the world, we got "something" anyway. No idea if it is the dreaded lurgy, because the symptoms are so mild. No idea how we caught it - possibly from fruit? It's just a guess. Even if we didn't catch Covid19, we caught "something", which shows that quarantine doesn't work unless you go to extreme bio-lab levels of paranoia. Wash all your food, cook EVERYTHING, wash your hands before and after food prep - assume every single thing that has come into your house from outside is evil and radioactive...and then virus particles rain out of the sky anyway - no hiding from them. https://www.livescience.com/61689-virus ... m-sky.html

I haven't read the last 10 pages or so of this thread- I hope everyone is doing well despite all of the chaos. Latest estimation I have seen suggests dropping the house arrest no earlier than 1st July, but who knows what the politicians will decide.

I've just got my hands on a 3,500 page book - I may be gone for some time :)
μέγα βιβλίον μέγα κακόν !
Interesting grammar, but yes. Still, it was that or posting about Brexit...

Smh! It was a quote! Now I get it. Sorry - slow on the uptake, and ancient Greek hence the grammar...

Droogs":fejfo47i said:
Selwyn":fejfo47i said:

Explain why my other half was only able to purchase bread flour for the first time yesterday and only 1kg bag as being rationed by staff after not seeing a single bag on the shelves since February. Due to health concerns I am not allowed to eat nearly any massed produced pre-made food, I have to make my own pasta, bread from scratch even pasta sauces are to be made from fresh ingredients as all the pre-processed stuff has too much rubbish in it for my body ie no salt: no sugar, no transfats no msg etc. So no prick and ping etc or ready made in a tin. So where the hell has all the flour been hiding if there have been no shortages. Admittedly fresh meat seems to be as available as ever but other things are not.
So going by your statements, to me , you are talking out yer puckered orifice. The 2 largest wheat and rice exporting nations have now banned such exports. Food seeds have been banned for sale in many garden centres and big box stores to the general public and are only to be made available to registered commercial growers. If you took yer head out of the aforementioned puckered ... and did some real research as to what is going on in other parts of the food industry you would not come out with the vitriol that you have. Hope you have a well fed day unlike many others

edit typos

Because panic buyers had caused a temporary distribution shortage whereby people could not get everything they wanted when they wanted and this lasted about a week. The food is there, the distribution system system wasn't prepared. All of a sudden people were making purchases of things they wouldnt usually. That is not a shortage of food that is a shortage of choice of food. Most lines kept going ok and will continue to adapt.

There is plenty of wheat and rice in the world. Wheat prices would have to double to make a real difference to bread price

Ive given zero vitriol. Im not the not the one who advocates shooting people etc. Deal with the facts not the hype.

Selwyn":2mcg16kl said:
.......Ive given zero vitriol. Im not the not the one who advocates shooting people etc. Deal with the facts not the hype.

You could put that one to rest by acknowledging that you understand the concept of hyperbole. In a grown-up discussion one has to assume people have that sort of basic grasp of normal conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back