Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake":2sl02aj2 said:
sploo":2sl02aj2 said:
Droogs":2sl02aj2 said:
A well informed interview held by Joe Rogen yesterday with a leading US epidemiologist working on respiratory vaccines, in fact the Dean of the US tropical medicines uni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Q53KWZFMU
Got it running in the background. About 40m through. Very good isn't it.

I normally cannot stand video as a medium or Youtube as a whole, but that was really interesting.
I saw it was an hour and ten minutes and thought "I don't really have the time; just give me a text summary", but it is actually very worth sitting through. I guess when there's lots of interesting and useful info it doesn't really feel like it's dragging.

nev":1ocxvwhu said:
and there's always someone

Rorschach":1ocxvwhu said:
nev":1ocxvwhu said:
STOP.

1.woodworking forum
2.politics
3.pointless
4.woodworking forum.

Agree with point 2.
However this is the off topic part of the forum, so being pointless and not about woodworking is kind of the point

But he's not strictly wrong is he Nev (a statement not a question). Not saying all the squabbling should carry on, but "offtopic" IS the place for non woodworking stuff.

Fact is the politics and system of China DID play a detrimental part in this, and to ignore that is foolish, because there is a lesson to be learned for those willingly to accept those facts, and they ARE facts.

Thanks for the link Droogs! =D>
He rambles a bit but very interesting indeed, just watched the whole thing which is an achievement for me as I have a low boredom threshold :)

I really enjoy Rogan, he has some interesting people on and they just have a chat. Joe is always eager to learn new things and he doesn't have much of an agenda so you get all kinds of viewpoints. No ad's no time limits, no sponsors, just good stuff.

Pedants unite!

Which bit of don't talk politics do you not understand?

Regardless wether its current or not, its divisive and serves no purpose apart from stroking ones own sense of superiority.

Now you can act like grown ups, obey the rules, don't try and be clever and push the envelope and carry on politely or I can lock/delete the thread. Up to you.

rafezetter":1dfnx846 said:
But he's not strictly wrong is he Nev (a statement not a question). Not saying all the squabbling should carry on, but "offtopic" IS the place for non woodworking stuff.

Fact is the politics and system of China DID play a detrimental part in this, and to ignore that is foolish, because there is a lesson to be learned for those willingly to accept those facts, and they ARE facts.

"We found that mitigation measures aimed at reducing transmission would likely have decreased the reproduction number, but not sufficiently to prevent ICU demand from exceeding NHS availability. To keep ICU bed demand below capacity in the model, more extreme restrictions were necessary. In a scenario where “lockdown”-type interventions were put in place to reduce transmission, these interventions would need to be in place for a large proportion of the coming year in order to prevent healthcare demand exceeding availability."

Best start growing veg.

D_W":3ght39fo said:
I'm sure there are some actuaries or statisticians in the thread somewhere
I'm neither, but I was offered a job as a trainee actuary after leaving full-time education. I remember an uncle, an accountant, telling me that an actuary is a good job for someone who finds accountancy too exciting. I didn't accept the job offer.

Just4Fun":2se76o5k said:
D_W":2se76o5k said:
I'm sure there are some actuaries or statisticians in the thread somewhere
I'm neither, but I was offered a job as a trainee actuary after leaving full-time education. I remember an uncle, an accountant, telling me that an actuary is a good job for someone who finds accountancy too exciting. I didn't accept the job offer.

I know some great actuaries. The extrovert actuary is the one who looks at your shoes while talking to you rather than their own. :D

Just read the 'What do do if someone in your household has Covid-19'. Stay in and do not go out.
Get your food online, ring up for it or get someone else to get it for you.

They're having a laugh, aren't they ? Anyone tried booking online ? Or ringing ...well, who exactly. And as for getting someone else to get it for you....that works really well if you are very rural and don't know anyone locally. So..bottom line...for some there is no alternative. They have to go out to get food.

A sincere thanks to all who expressed good wishes for my wife. It's been a worrying few days, but I am much more relaxed today. She started showing signs of improvement yesterday afternoon, had a good night, and is much better today. We've just come back from a 20 minute walk with the pooch, which would have been impossible just 24 hours ago. Having declared victory prematurely already (a week ago), I'm wary of saying she's completely over it, but I can say that the immediate difficulty is over. This damned disease just doesn't let go, though. I've been fine for 4 or 5 days now, but yesterday had to sit down for most of the day.........two and a half weeks after I showed first symptoms.

RogerS":3vd88zkd said:
Just read the 'What do do if someone in your household has Covid-19'. Stay in and do not go out.

They're having a laugh, aren't they ? Anyone tried booking online ? Or ringing ...well, who exactly. And as for getting someone else to get it for you....that works really well if you are very rural and don't know anyone locally. So..bottom line...for some there is no alternative. They have to go out to get food.

I'd be surprised if anyone in a rural area, unless they are in a really remote place, has a problem finding someone to shop for them. In my local area (two villages with a total of maybe 70 houses) we immediately set up phone numbers to call, all of us who weren't isolated volunteered, and those in isolation are being sorted out. The only complaint I've heard is from Barry - his shopper bought him a rather nicer bottle of red than he usually buys and it was delicious, so now he's hooked on the good stuff :D

I'd have thought towns and cities were more likely to have problems here - when I lived in London I knew only one person in my street, and that was a work colleague who moved in opposite me.

profchris":37q9vp70 said:
RogerS":37q9vp70 said:

I'd be surprised if anyone in a rural area, unless they are in a really remote place, has a problem finding someone to shop for them. .....

That's why I said 'very' rural. But even if we were living in a village, my wife is severely coeliac and has other allergies. Difficult to expect someone to spend ages reading the ingredient list!

EDIT: Thinking this through a bit more, a lot of supermarkets place limits on the number of items and so it would be unfair to ask someone to 'eat' into their 'allowance', as it were.

That's fantastic news Mike! Anecdotal stories from my facebook feed would indicate that you will have bad days and good days for a couple of weeks yet so both of you just take it easy and let your body recover.

profchris":1q3p70j1 said:
I'd be surprised if anyone in a rural area, unless they are in a really remote place, has a problem finding someone to shop for them. In my local area (two villages with a total of maybe 70 houses) we immediately set up phone numbers to call, all of us who weren't isolated volunteered, and those in isolation are being sorted out. The only complaint I've heard is from Barry - his shopper bought him a rather nicer bottle of red than he usually buys and it was delicious, so now he's hooked on the good stuff :D

I'd have thought towns and cities were more likely to have problems here - when I lived in London I knew only one person in my street, and that was a work colleague who moved in opposite me.

You'd be surprised I think. There's been a lot of informal stuff (we are helping two sets of neighbours, and that's going on all the way around us) plus a lot of more organised group networks.

I'm sure there are gaps, but people are trying to pull together. It might be a bit more of a change than in a village setting, but I know my mother in a very rural setting only got a direct offer of (local) help earlier this week.

profchris":325x6842 said:
I'd be surprised if anyone in a rural area, unless they are in a really remote place, has a problem finding someone to shop for them.
This started me thinking as we are in a very rural area. The nearest store is 27 km away and I don't believe any local store delivers. If you want groceries you have to go shopping. So who could I call if I needed help? I know some local people to speak to if I meet them somewhere but I don't have their phone numbers. The closest person for whom I do have a number lives 300 km from me, and anyway there are travel restrictions in place so travel from there to here is not permitted.

I expect SWMBO has numbers for some local people so maybe it would make sense to get her to write them down, just in case. I might find myself needing help if she were taken sick. I doubt many people are as isolated as I am but even so, perhaps every household should consider creating a shared list of emergency contacts.

We are not so isolated but still have complied a list of contacts. It's worth everyone doing that.

It's getting a bit close. Just heard that the lady next door, who works part-time in a care home, has the symptoms and is isolating. Fortunately she seems to be improving.

Keith

MikeG.":299lgn1w said:
A sincere thanks to all who expressed good wishes for my wife. It's been a worrying few days, but I am much more relaxed today. She started showing signs of improvement yesterday afternoon, had a good night, and is much better today. We've just come back from a 20 minute walk with the pooch, which would have been impossible just 24 hours ago. Having declared victory prematurely already (a week ago), I'm wary of saying she's completely over it, but I can say that the immediate difficulty is over. This damned disease just doesn't let go, though. I've been fine for 4 or 5 days now, but yesterday had to sit down for most of the day.........two and a half weeks after I showed first symptoms.

Very pleased to hear that, Mike.

RogerS":2en13n0w said:
profchris":2en13n0w said:
RogerS":2en13n0w said:

I'd be surprised if anyone in a rural area, unless they are in a really remote place, has a problem finding someone to shop for them. .....

That's why I said 'very' rural. But even if we were living in a village, my wife is severely coeliac and has other allergies. Difficult to expect someone to spend ages reading the ingredient list!

EDIT: Thinking this through a bit more, a lot of supermarkets place limits on the number of items and so it would be unfair to ask someone to 'eat' into their 'allowance', as it were.

I was in my local Co-Op yesterday and someone was shopping for herself and a neighbour. No problem with limits - the staff were trusting (and to be honest, recognised most customers as regulars anyway). I guess a big chain supermarket might be less so, but in my local Asda I'm recognised. Small town stuff!

For those in rural areas looking for help, try the local parish council. Mine sent round a list of emergency contacts the day after the lockdown was announced. Or if your village has a pub, the landlord will know all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back