Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stuartpaul":29zc1l72 said:
For illustration purposes. My missus reports of two elderly males (mid 70’s and early 80’s) both with significant current health issues recovering well from the virus.

One in fact showed no symptoms at all and it was only testing that revealed he actually had it (already in isolation due to previous contact).

So it isn’t a foregone conclusion that old farts with health issues are automatically goners!
I did wonder about this - the death rate for 70+ was listed at about 15-18% I seem to remember, so yes you'd have thought there must be older ones making it, but you never hear of it.

Cheshirechappie":1bnspcg7 said:
Also, why the level of panic over something more akin to flu or pneumonia (both of which are factors in significant numbers of annual deaths, but don't warrant anywhere near the same measures) than to ebola or similar (which most definitely would).

Ebola is a horrible disease but epidemics of it are relatively easy to contain as it isn't that transmissible.

This is both much more serious than your usual seasonal flu - 10 times as deadly, more infectious. The combination is vicious, notwithstanding the majority will only have relatively mild symptoms (meaning from more or less nothing to still being able to breath well enough not to need oxygen) and many may be asymptomatic. It's the rapidity of spread that leads to swamping of the health care system that makes it even more super deadly as the death rate goes up from ~1% of confirmed cases to ~6% (not counting people with other conditions dying from absence of treatment). Even at ~1% if all confirmed cases get full treatment, this would be far worse than any flu we've seen since Spanish flu a century ago (when healthcare was very different).

Cheshirechappie":63kj0n6n said:
However, maybe that's a matter for later. Indeed, there will be many matters for later, such as why the health system was so woefully incapable of absorbing a shock...
Unfortunately, a decade of deliberate underfunding tends to do that.

Cheshirechappie":63kj0n6n said:
Also, why the level of panic over something more akin to flu or pneumonia (both of which are factors in significant numbers of annual deaths, but don't warrant anywhere near the same measures) than to ebola or similar (which most definitely would).
Easily transmitted, long incubation time (so you spread it without knowing), pretty nasty morbidity rate, no vaccine. Left to run its course (i.e. without vaccines or our current social isolation) the worldwide death toll would be pretty scary.

doctor Bob":63kj0n6n said:
Furloughed all staff today.
Social responsibility is pretty painful when you see the rest of the working world on industrial sites carrying on as normal.
Strange feeling as we have heaps of work and are still getting orders but can't make or fit it.
Shiitting my pants still, unbelievable that you can spend 16 years building a business the right way, slow growth, no loans, no greed, looking after staff and clients, and then the potential for it all to disappear in a few months. Very hard to deal with.
That sucks. Sorry to hear.

Bodgers":63kj0n6n said:
I did wonder about this - the death rate for 70+ was listed at about 15-18% I seem to remember, so yes you'd have thought there must be older ones making it, but you never hear of it.
There are figures for those that have "recovered" (I don't know whether that means virus free but with lung damage, or actually healthy again) but I've not seen those figures broken down by age. Certainly there's no 100% guarantee of good or bad outcome in any age group; merely percentages.

doctor Bob":25csuks5 said:
Shiitting my pants still, unbelievable that you can spend 16 years building a business the right way, slow growth, no loans, no greed, looking after staff and clients, and then the potential for it all to disappear in a few months. Very hard to deal with.
You have my sympathies. But don't rule out the good karma you have built with your staff, past and present. You may find that your fairness and consideration will be repaid when you need it most.

I work for a great company. I have only been there less than a year, but they have shown such support and social awareness that I think their chances of weathering a financial storm are much higher than companies with merely acceptable policies. They have built up a huge amount of 'social capital' in their workforce. I for one would rather work temporarily at half pay to get them back on their feet than at my previous company for double pay.

So you may find that your years of 'doing it right' were the best possible investment. I certainly hope so.

I'd like to join in the chorus of commiserations and best wishes, Bob. Having been around your workshop with you this one strikes closer to home than most. You may be losing your workforce temporarily, and your income , but your reputation amongst your clientel is the thing you won't lose. When this is all over I'll have a little bet that your main issue will be trying to keep up with the pent up demand.

doctor Bob":1ebd2ccy said:
Social responsibility is pretty painful when you see the rest of the working world on industrial sites carrying on as normal.
Strange feeling as we have heaps of work and are still getting orders but can't make or fit it.

No idea whether I'm supposed to pay staff or wait for portal to open, spoke to my accountant and he has no idea. Elderly parents as well, always do their online shopping for them until greedy crunts decided to take all the online slots as soon as they were released, so now a 2hr drive each way twice a week, thanks a lot you greedy barstards. Went shopping on way home for lunch tommorrow, pineapple all.
I had to laugh at the bloke having a fag with a mask on ........... bet he wishes his lungs weren't so ballsed up.

Running a business is a risk - not everyone can do it, which is why the vast majority of people are employees, accepting lower rewards for higher security. This is the point where you earn your money by making the really hard, unpalatable decisions.

Unsolicited random advice from the internet is never helpful, but I would note that you still have the equipment, and you still have the knowledge, so if you shut down your cash flow soon enough, there can still be a business later. If you hemorrhage money now trying to stay the course, or by being charitable, then the bank will take it all away, and some man in a suit will get all the benefit of your years of effort.

I'm in much the same boat - I'm going to have to survive the year on almost zero income - it concentrates the thinking somewhat.

I'm going to tentatively declare that I'm better. I've got a pathetic half-hearted cold, which is how the guy I caught it from also finished his illness, and I'm a bit washed out, but my temperature has all but returned to normal, the cough has all but gone, and all the other symptoms have disappeared. My wife appears much better, too.

MikeG.":yrfe9ll5 said:
I'm going to tentatively declare that I'm better. I've got a pathetic half-hearted cold, which is how the guy I caught it from also finished his illness, and I'm a bit washed out, but my temperature has all but returned to normal, the cough has all but gone, and all the other symptoms have disappeared. My wife appears much better, too.
ray-lewis-celebration-dance-1.gif

Nice one Mike some good news at a time like this gives us all a boost and some hope.

loftyhermes":1toky59r said:
For the idiots out there, the best thing I've seen about social distancing.

Excellent =D>

Shame Mr Trump hasn’t seen this as I read this morning he wants the churches full this easter, bet the supposed germaphobe himself won’t be joining these congregations

Lons":42pxnvyk said:
I'm pleased my missus doesn't knit

My missus does. She's very busy knitting for a lady with shops in Leicester and Lichfield. Although she's obviously shut them, the orders are still there.

Nigel.

MikeG.":yveptjke said:

Well done that man. All the best to you and yours.

Great news Mr & Mrs G!

Figured this article may be of interest. It covers just how cleverly / deviously it spreads. It does underline the need for testing and how, in small population centres, it can help all but irradicate the [insert favourite expletive] thing. Best wishes to all.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ve-got-it/

We shut our factory yesterday and furloughed all the staff, the vast majority of our clients responded to our notification email by saying their sites were either closed or closing so I think the rest of the construction industry will follow suit soon. We’ve had a mixed response from our suppliers, some have closed and others were still open but for how long they couldn’t say. Doing the right thing now will reward us with prosperity in due course DrBob, we just have to hold our nerve at the moment. Glad to hear you and your wife are on the mend mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back