Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FatmanG":a759wtyx said:
I'm confused I live directly opposite a building site for new builds. I was under the impression the govt had ordered non essential workers to stay at home. There are the same vans parked in the street the same inconsiderate plumber parked in my disabled space and the work continues.

I e mailed the address on the van saying there was a photo on the internet.

Here is reply

Please can you tell me where and I'll look into it

S.Parker
Managing Director
Parker Plumbing and Heating Ltd
Tel 01706 818669
Fax 01706 818225
Mobile 07957 363188
http://www.parkerphs.co.uk

So over to fmg

lurker":2efc4ikh said:
FatmanG":2efc4ikh said:
I'm confused I live directly opposite a building site for new builds. I was under the impression the govt had ordered non essential workers to stay at home. There are the same vans parked in the street the same inconsiderate plumber parked in my disabled space and the work continues.

I e mailed the address on the van saying there was a photo on the internet.

Here is reply

Please can you tell me where and I'll look into it

S.Parker
Managing Director
Parker Plumbing and Heating Ltd
Tel 01706 818669
Fax 01706 818225

Mobile 07957 363188
http://www.parkerphs.co.uk

Tell him the golf course new build, Bodmin chase ls10
Considering the aggression previous I hope this doesn't turn ugly I doubt the police will give priority to a parking space row at the present time.

ScaredyCat":21z91y1x said:
This guy has far more self control than I ever would..

https://twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/status/1242469526786228225

It started ok, going to get food shopping, fine if careful, walk along the beach, most likely fine. Not far off our weekend actually, we went to shops (several unfortunately as stock was still poor) and then had a day out walking in the countryside.
She ruined it by visiting her elderly friend. Fair enough if she isn't bothered about dying, problem is all the people she will infect in the meantime or people hurt trying to save her. Very sad.

No problem and thanks I think I shall see how it pans out the next time he arrives and parks as to the next move.

RogerS":jsvy1995 said:
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I forgot to mention insufficient testing, by the way, but I guess you'll discount that as well.

I'm not discounting anything, Roger. By reasonable logic, yes, we as a country should've come to an absolute grinding halt two weeks ago but it is the majority of the general public which are unreasonable, myself included hence that very selfish comment in hindsight about "paying for it for the rest of my life" I made the other day.

I don't really know enough about the testing to comment on whether there was insufficient effort or not.

Nothing we can say here will change what has happened in the last two weeks, we're all in this together and it seems to me the only real thing we can do now is to look the truth in the face and deal with the situation that's on our lap right this second, not the one that was here two weeks ago.

sploo":jsvy1995 said:
Obviously it's unlikely to be that high, but you get the picture. The long incubation time of Covid-19 means people can be infecting others for many days before they come down with symptoms.

That's my point, I do get the picture now (I think). I didn't a couple of days ago and I certainly wouldn't have two weeks ago.

Trevanion":220xfl77 said:
That's my point, I do get the picture now (I think). I didn't a couple of days ago and I certainly wouldn't have two weeks ago.
Fair point. I can't but help thinking that a simple visualisation/animation showing person 1 infecting persons 2 and 3, then persons 2 and 3 infecting 4 & 5 and 6 & 7 respectively (and so on) would have made the transmission problem clear to the public. Easy for me to sit at home and say the country should have been shut down a fortnight ago though; as I'm not the one carrying the can of responsibility.

PLEASE try and keep on topic Gents - amongst other posts e.g. Inconsiderate muppet parking really has nowt to do with this.

Please, also, keep it polite and friendly, someone says something you disagree with, either offer a polite alternative or ignore it.

Thank you.

Swift recovery Mike.

Cheshirechappie":1sujwlbx said:
Seen elsewhere - a possible tiny glimmer of optimism from Italy. The number of reported new cases has declined for the last couple of days.

https://order-order.com/2020/03/24/glim ... ay-passed/

Possibly false optimism, sadly. According to Radio 4's PM Programme, reported deaths in last 24hrs 743. No mention of number of new cases, though.

Edit to add - new cases 5,249 - a slight increase on previous two days.

Trevanion":1wa5mkz4 said:
By reasonable logic, yes, we as a country should've come to an absolute grinding halt two weeks ago but it is the majority of the general public which are unreasonable, myself included hence that very selfish comment in hindsight about "paying for it for the rest of my life" I made the other day.

In fairness, I'm not sure that point is that selfish. It's almost certainly going to be true to some extent, and not selfish because you won't be the only taxpayer contributing.

Hopefully we can minimise the additional Sovereign debt by bringing the epidemic under control as quickly as possible, and getting normal economic life going again.

However, maybe that's a matter for later. Indeed, there will be many matters for later, such as why the health system was so woefully incapable of absorbing a shock whilst the food system coped (just about, with a bit of creaking here and there), and whether the draconian measures imposed yesterday were all really necessary. Also, why the level of panic over something more akin to flu or pneumonia (both of which are factors in significant numbers of annual deaths, but don't warrant anywhere near the same measures) than to ebola or similar (which most definitely would).

Whatever we think of the current strategy, I think it would be irresponsible to ignore or flout it at the moment. That's the chosen path, and we must all tread it, for now at least. We can ask our questions later.

For the idiots out there, the best thing I've seen about social distancing.

Attachments

• confused.jpg
    confused.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 358
loftyhermes":2nak6j4v said:
For the idiots out there, the best thing I've seen about social distancing.

Gosh, that’s a bit close to the bone, but gets the point a across.

F.

Cheshirechappie":1bwpy6pu said:
Cheshirechappie":1bwpy6pu said:
Seen elsewhere - a possible tiny glimmer of optimism from Italy. The number of reported new cases has declined for the last couple of days.

https://order-order.com/2020/03/24/glim ... ay-passed/

Possibly false optimism, sadly. According to Radio 4's PM Programme, reported deaths in last 24hrs 743. No mention of number of new cases, though.

Edit to add - new cases 5,249 - a slight increase on previous two days.

For those who are stuck at home, bored this website gives you plenty of scope to track the progress of the virus in painful detail: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries.

Mike G: hope you and Mrs. G recover soon; pleased to see that being laid low has not affected the lucidity of your posts!

Duncan

For illustration purposes. My missus reports of two elderly males (mid 70’s and early 80’s) both with significant current health issues recovering well from the virus.

One in fact showed no symptoms at all and it was only testing that revealed he actually had it (already in isolation due to previous contact).

So it isn’t a foregone conclusion that old farts with health issues are automatically goners!

Furloughed all staff today.
Social responsibility is pretty painful when you see the rest of the working world on industrial sites carrying on as normal.
Strange feeling as we have heaps of work and are still getting orders but can't make or fit it.
Shiitting my pants still, unbelievable that you can spend 16 years building a business the right way, slow growth, no loans, no greed, looking after staff and clients, and then the potential for it all to disappear in a few months. Very hard to deal with.

No idea whether I'm supposed to pay staff or wait for portal to open, spoke to my accountant and he has no idea. Elderly parents as well, always do their online shopping for them until greedy crunts decided to take all the online slots as soon as they were released, so now a 2hr drive each way twice a week, thanks a lot you greedy barstards. Went shopping on way home for lunch tommorrow, pineapple all.
I had to laugh at the bloke having a fag with a mask on ........... bet he wishes his lungs weren't so ballsed up.

I really feel for you (and others in your position) Bob.

We were about to push the button on a kitchen and bathroom revamp but I think we’ll have to hold off. We’ve now got the whole family working/schooling at home so it seems a bad time to turn the house upside down, and that’s before we get to thinking about the risk for us/workmen being in the house and out and about getting supplies (if they can) etc.

I don’t think we have much choice but i feel bad for the people we’ve been dealing with. I think all we can do is tell them the work will be there when things hopefully get back to normal. I hope their businesses make it through this and that we can support them when we can.

I really hope you get through this OK.

I'm pleased my missus doesn't knit

Attachments

• SIBZ1638.JPG
    SIBZ1638.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 241
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back