Coronavirus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nelsun":1zpk49jo said:
Great news Mr & Mrs G!

Figured this article may be of interest. It covers just how cleverly / deviously it spreads. It does underline the need for testing and how, in small population centres, it can help all but irradicate the [insert favourite expletive] thing. Best wishes to all.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ve-got-it/

Thanks for that, Nelsun. It's one of most informative and measured articles I've seen on the matter.

Well worth a read, folks.

DrPhill":2j3gy1jv said:
doctor Bob":2j3gy1jv said:
Furloughed all staff today.
Shiitting my pants still, unbelievable that you can spend 16 years building a business the right way, slow growth, no loans, no greed, looking after staff and clients, and then the potential for it all to disappear in a few months. Very hard to deal with.
You have my sympathies. But don't rule out the good karma you have built with your staff, past and present. You may find that your fairness and consideration will be repaid when you need it most.

I work for a great company. I have only been there less than a year, but they have shown such support and social awareness that I think their chances of weathering a financial storm are much higher than companies with merely acceptable policies. They have built up a huge amount of 'social capital' in their workforce. I for one would rather work temporarily at half pay to get them back on their feet than at my previous company for double pay.

So you may find that your years of 'doing it right' were the best possible investment. I certainly hope so.

I would second that.

If you have a good reputation your customers will wait for you, and as others are in the same position there's no competition.

My wife has good employers, but her previous employer, totally different.

My daughter is a veterinary nurse. They have kept two nurses on working half a week each, my daughter is one of them. The other two nurses have been furloughed as they both have asthma. The vets are taking it in turns to work shifts as they can only cover emergency work.

Nigel.

MikeG.":1i9ee5o2 said:
I'm going to tentatively declare that I'm better. I've got a pathetic half-hearted cold, which is how the guy I caught it from also finished his illness, and I'm a bit washed out, but my temperature has all but returned to normal, the cough has all but gone, and all the other symptoms have disappeared. My wife appears much better, too.

That's good Mike. :D

Nigel.

@Dr. Bob: I can well imagine your feelings regarding your business (with all that word entails) in the current situation.

But I believe that the previous posters may well be correct. My own business was very small compared to yours (e.g. nil employees), but when I was forced to liquidate my company due to ill health (my better half said it was time anyway as I was 69 then, going on 70) I REALLY missed it (still do to be honest).

But it seems that my rep was even better than I knew because for at least a year or more afterwards I was getting calls & E-mails saying "we've heard you've been ill but are you now OK to just .....". Very flattering, even though I had to say no, sorry, each time. That to me was confirmation that I'd been doing at least some things right ;-)

From what you say about your business you'll be in much the same position when this situation recovers, and as already said by others above, at least your machinery and tooling plus know-how (EDIT: AND contacts) will all still be extant - AND I suggest former employees will be lining up at the door to re-join you too!

Sounds like you'll deserve it too. All the best.

sploo":1bal5miw said:
Bodgers":1bal5miw said:
I did wonder about this - the death rate for 70+ was listed at about 15-18% I seem to remember, so yes you'd have thought there must be older ones making it, but you never hear of it.
There are figures for those that have "recovered" (I don't know whether that means virus free but with lung damage, or actually healthy again) but I've not seen those figures broken down by age. Certainly there's no 100% guarantee of good or bad outcome in any age group; merely percentages.

Unless my maths and addled brain are deceiving me, those figure say that 82-85% of over 70s are recovering.

selectortone":awb6o2k3 said:
sploo":awb6o2k3 said:
Bodgers":awb6o2k3 said:
I did wonder about this - the death rate for 70+ was listed at about 15-18% I seem to remember, so yes you'd have thought there must be older ones making it, but you never hear of it.
There are figures for those that have "recovered" (I don't know whether that means virus free but with lung damage, or actually healthy again) but I've not seen those figures broken down by age. Certainly there's no 100% guarantee of good or bad outcome in any age group; merely percentages.

Unless my maths and addled brain are deceiving me, those figure say that 82-85% of over 70s are recovering.
You need a bit more data than that for "broken down" though...

MikeG.":1q7dgjls said:
I'm going to tentatively declare that I'm better. I've got a pathetic half-hearted cold, which is how the guy I caught it from also finished his illness, and I'm a bit washed out, but my temperature has all but returned to normal, the cough has all but gone, and all the other symptoms have disappeared. My wife appears much better, too.
Good news. It looks like if you make it to day 7 without heading to hospital most are in the clear.

I suppose you still have to isolate a while yet?

Read some folks' earlier concerns about MOTs - I've just read on the Guardian website that there will be a 6 month MOT amnesty. (It's in their live Coronavirus blog)

I have builders in my empty bungalow today, two man business.
They have other clients at the front of the queue, but have declined to go there as there are residents.
Our place is empty and we will not visit until 36 hours after they leave.

They are removing chimney stack and chimney breast and fixing the resulting roof.

I need them to do further work at a later date, but brought this job forward so they were earning at least this week.

Bodgers":29lqppwj said:
.......]Good news. It looks like if you make it to day 7 without heading to hospital most are in the clear.

An epidemiologist I'm in touch with gave that as 8 to 10 days, but yes, that's about the gist of it.

I suppose you still have to isolate a while yet?

Until next Tuesday evening/ Wednesday morning. It's the 14 day thing if you're in a household of more than 1.

My daughter went to the local Waitrose this morning. All very orderly and pleasant, but someone has posted online that Tesco at Fleetsbridge Poole had to close as they couldn't police the social distancing rules.

Nigel.

Is anybody out there actually doing any work from home. Judging by the number of sites that are overloaded - Wickes, for example - I think not.

Nigel Burden":1ko1f8do said:
My daughter went to the local Waitrose this morning. All very orderly and pleasant, but someone has posted online that Tesco at Fleetsbridge Poole had to close as they couldn't police the social distancing rules.

Nigel.

That's your Tesco customer for you.

RogerS":2nyhigex said:
Is anybody out there actually doing any work from home. Judging by the number of sites that are overloaded - Wickes, for example - I think not.

I am (IT). It's pretty much work as normal :( ...

Same - generally do financial and compliance type work. Just less convenient at home as I don't have unlimited paper to print drafts, and no access to the giant magic scanner at work to get all of the workpapers stored digitally. Have been doing about the same amount of work, but in isolation, it's a bit mind numbing.

RogerS":3e3ic3nv said:

Developer so the only change is I get fewer interruptions..

Yay, I think.

RogerS":38waysdo said:

SAN/NAS engineer for a hosting Co., been WFH for the last 18 months so no change for me.

Prince Charles is self isolating with Covid 19

Prince Andrew is self isolating with Jenny 16....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back