Wood id

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpps

Established Member
Reaction score
A customer has asked me to build them an airing cupboard in their new bathroom and if possible try to match the wood used to make their washstand.

Can anyone tell me what type of wood this is? It feels very dry and soft to the touch, you can easily press you finger nail into it. I think, by the looks of it, someone has sanded the original varnish off.

Attachments

• 20240502_105016.jpg
    20240502_105016.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
It could really be anything by its look. It seems to be a hardwood of sorts that looks to have been stripped of its varnish, and bleached a bit
Judging by the hardware and general look I would place it as Edwardian or slightly later. There was a real vogue for using a timber called Satin Walnut ( American red gum ) at this time - so that would probably be my best guess. Any earlier then it would probably have been mahogany

Classic Edwardian wash stand. As Niall y says. Probably Satin Walnut or Poplar (which is softer), which was the appellation for a (then) cheap timber often stained to look like mahogany. The door looks like a framed plywood panel (animal glued laminations) which has delaminated (rippled). The base looks like it has been stripped using caustic soda.

While I've got this thread going...

I've just been to look at a job where they'd like an alcove cupboard building ideally out of wood with a similar look of pitch pine to match their already stripped doors, what would you suggest for that?

While I've got this thread going...

I've just been to look at a job where they'd like an alcove cupboard building ideally out of wood with a similar look of pitch pine to match their already stripped doors, what would you suggest for that?
Siberian larch

Back