Bandsaw bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guide post should travel up and down parallel to the blade when you adjust the height for different thicknesses of wood. Otherwise you would have to make adjustment to the guides every time you raised or lowered the guide. If it is out front to back the thrust bearing will move closer or further to the blade. If the post is out from side to side then the spot on the thrust bearing the blade touches moves side to side requiring those guides to be adjusted. My bandsaw has a pivoting block that can be adjusted much like the tension and tracking mechanism for the upper wheel. On another bandsaw I had bolts had to be loosened to allow the guide post block to be adjusted and then retightened. Loosen just enough and bump into alignment, then snug the bolts again. Some inexpensive bandsaws don't allow for adjustment and the only option if available would be to move the upper wheel assembly until the blade is parallel to the guide post. Make sense?

Pete
I kind of see what you mean,I cannot see anything from the outside for adjustment!!

Any chance you could show a photo of this pivot thingy?
Here you go.

From the back.

IMG_5916.jpg

From the side.

IMG_5917.jpg

From below.

IMG_5918.jpg

Pete

I never forgot to tension the blade, but did nearly always forget to lock the guide post.

When wearing my Trend Pro Power-shield my wife called me Daft Ada, I never got the joke. 🤔

Last edited:
While I'm here,is itceasyvto drill 2 holes into the sidecos bandsaw table? I wantvto extend it by 2ft in direction wood goes thru blade?

While I'm here,is itceasyvto drill 2 holes into the sidecos bandsaw table? I wantvto extend it by 2ft in direction wood goes thru blade?

I would not try to support a 2' extension on a bandsaw table. It will put forces on the top to where it may break off or break the trunnions. Better is to make a separate outfield table supported on its own legs.

You must be typing on your phone with the predictive spelling going wild making up new words. 😉 "itceasyvto" "sidecos" "wantvto"

Pete

I would not try to support a 2' extension on a bandsaw table. It will put forces on the top to where it may break off or break the trunnions. Better is to make a separate outfield table supported on its own legs.

You must be typing on your phone with the predictive spelling going wild making up new words. 😉 "itceasyvto" "sidecos" "wantvto"

Pete
I was intending to have support legs as well!

I'm with @Inspector Pete on this one, please don't attach it to the table directly, whether you have support legs or not.
You're best to make a table on 3 or 4 legs at the same height. By all means clamp it to the table, but don't let the bandsaw table take any weight.

I'm with @Inspector Pete on this one, please don't attach it to the table directly, whether you have support legs or not.
You're best to make a table on 3 or 4 legs at the same height. By all means clamp it to the table, but don't let the bandsaw table take any weight.
I shall take note of that!

On my Basa 1 I managed to have the back of the blade cut into the rear guide/thrust bearing (whatever it's called). It wore a groove and snapped my blade. Not 100% sure what was going wrong but it didn't seem to want to rotate properly when the blade touched it.

So instead I bought a small sealed bearing and took a piece of 10mm bar and drilled a hole off centre. So my rear bearing is now a proper bearing. I can rotate it to move it left or right a little as it's off centre. Seems to be working ok now.

I did intend on re-designing the entire holder to have 3 proper bearing running with the outer edges touching the blade rather than the sides of the bearing, which has never made sense to me.

Like this one on here The Best Way to Set Up a Bandsaw!

On my Basa 1 I managed to have the back of the blade cut into the rear guide/thrust bearing (whatever it's called). It wore a groove and snapped my blade. Not 100% sure what was going wrong but it didn't seem to want to rotate properly when the blade touched it.

So instead I bought a small sealed bearing and took a piece of 10mm bar and drilled a hole off centre. So my rear bearing is now a proper bearing. I can rotate it to move it left or right a little as it's off centre. Seems to be working ok now.

I did intend on re-designing the entire holder to have 3 proper bearing running with the outer edges touching the blade rather than the sides of the bearing, which has never made sense to me.

Any photos?

My basa 1 holder snapped. Never liked it so want to remake it in a better configuration. Only been waiting for 10 years or so….

I was intending to have support legs as well!
I really fancy a couple of support legs, I've been changing the front springs on my car today and all the kneeling and getting up and down (I don't have fancy ramps, just a jack), plays havoc with my knees.

Latest posts

Back