Clarke BS1 Belt Sander - Roller Bearings in front roller - cannot find replacements???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short power cable is just daft, is there a tip for safely lengthening it
How short is short, is it only short because of the distance to a socket ? This is resolved by using a short extension lead because you do not want to be extending the tools power cable by joining, the only safe way is to replace the cable completely with a longer one which would entail opening up the machine and invalidating the warranty.

I have ordered the Bosch PBS75A (green) from Amazon Prime for £93, to be delivered today. I am sorry to contribute to Amazon's project to Rule the World, but the fast delivery and easy returns are very seductive.
I read this article, among others:
https://www.pricerunner.com/test/belt-sander
The Makita came out Top Gun but for my specific purpose the balance of pros and cons was pretty good for the Bosch, which finished "Best Budget", and which will also use my existing collection of reasonable quality 75x533mm sanding belts. The dust extraction system gets some praise. It points "the wrong way", but as I shall mostly use the sander static upside-down, I can handle that, making a vacuum hose adapter, if I have to.

*** The short power cable is just daft, is there a tip for safely lengthening it???**

My thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and to ChaiLatte especially for increasing my knowledge of Needle Roller Bearings and finding an ingenious solution. And I agree, the old bearing DOES appear to have an additional "sleeve" on it, so it might well be a 10x14mm bearing with a 14/16mm sleeve.
PS I have now got the Bosch PBS75A "green"sander and yes, it has a Lock-On button on the On/Off Trigger, contrary to what someone at Bosch "Service" told me. The power cable is not "daft short", it is longer than the one on my old Clarke BS1.
It also has a screwdriver-driven manual device for belt tracking, in addition to its claimed "Automatic Belt Tracking Control". Or does it really not have Automatic, just manual?
Contrary to the Bosch instructions that came with it, it does not have variable speed, just fixed speed. The Instructions are wrong.
I like the look of it, hope to try it soon.

How short is short, is it only short because of the distance to a socket ? This is resolved by using a short extension lead because you do not want to be extending the tools power cable by joining, the only safe way is to replace the cable completely with a longer one which would entail opening up the machine and invalidating the warranty.
Thanks, I have answered this in my above reply.

Back