Bestcombi2000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawhead

Established Member
Reaction score
With two broken feeder roller belts I am concerned of replacing yet again and maybe have the same problem. So I have decide to strip the machine to a point where I can see all the moving parts concerned with the thicknesser/planer and try to see if I can see the problem. I noticed on the floor a piece of metal molding that looks like part of a bearing casing. I removed the eight screws that holds the main worktop in place, remove the four bolts that hold the spindle moulder casing and finally the four bolts that hold the saw blade adjustments. I could now remove the top sufficiently to clear the thicknesser/planer gearing. On inspection I cannot see anything wrong. The springs under the feed roller are good, the casings appear intact, there's no fouling of the drive chains. A mystery at the moment. I put a new belt on and hand turned the unit with no apparent problems. I have to say the replacement belt is only half the thickness of the original. The belt size is 630 x 8mm and about 1mm thick. Although the replacement is the same size as the original apart from this new belt being 1mm thick and the original 2mm thick. In my opinion the belt isn't up to the job, I think 1mm is fine but 10mm to 12mm should be the width.
If anyone has ever stripped one of these machines can to let me know please how to remove the feed rollers for inspection. I am concerned about this piece of metal casing I found on the floor underneath the machine.

I’m afraid that I’m not sure how to strip down the machine so that the feed rollers can definitely be removed for inspection, but I do know that you can remove the whole thicknesser unit for further strip down by disconnecting the drive belt and undoing what I recollect was the 6 bolts that you can see on the inside wall of the thicknesser. After that it should just lift out although it is a little awkward.

For replacement belts, I have previously managed to source these from a shop in France (probois machinoutils) which were an identical match.

All the best

David

I’m afraid that I’m not sure how to strip down the machine so that the feed rollers can definitely be removed for inspection, but I do know that you can remove the whole thicknesser unit for further strip down by disconnecting the drive belt and undoing what I recollect was the 6 bolts that you can see on the inside wall of the thicknesser. After that it should just lift out although it is a little awkward.

For replacement belts, I have previously managed to source these from a shop in France (probois machinoutils) which were an identical match.

All the best

David
David, thank you for your comments, very helpful. I looked at the Probois web site but the shipping charges and delivery are a bit concerning. I found Megadyne belts avaiable from a few suppliers in this country and will probably go that root. I shall investigate the bolts you mention and see if I can remove the thicknesser unit. I just need to be confident that I can solve tis problem. Sorry the reply is a bit late but I was watching strictly and then some drama on TV. I'll let you know how I do.

Kind regards
Tony

I have a Kity Multi Drive, had a similar issue with the drive belt to the planner feed rollers, replaced it with 5mm polyurethane orange round belting, easy to join with a soldering iron.

I replaced the flanged bushes a while back. One of mine had broken up possibly the same as your did. You do need to replace both at the same time though. The company I used was Simply Bearings. A UK company which proved to be much cheaper than ordering them from France. I found it was a little bit fiddly to fit them as I remember but I think that is probably me not being that great with machinery repair. But, if you have the machine partly stripped down it will make it much easier. You can also order replacement fan belts from the same company.

Gary

I have a Kity Multi Drive, had a similar issue with the drive belt to the planner feed rollers, replaced it with 5mm polyurethane orange round belting, easy to join with a soldering iron.
Not sure if I'm brave enough to go that route but if all else fails!

I replaced the flanged bushes a while back. One of mine had broken up possibly the same as your did. You do need to replace both at the same time though. The company I used was Simply Bearings. A UK company which proved to be much cheaper than ordering them from France. I found it was a little bit fiddly to fit them as I remember but I think that is probably me not being that great with machinery repair. But, if you have the machine partly stripped down it will make it much easier. You can also order replacement fan belts from the same company.

Gary
Following advice from
you can remove the whole thicknesser unit for further strip down by disconnecting the drive belt and undoing what I recollect was the 6 bolts that you can see on the inside wall of the thicknesser.
I have now removed the planer section completely from the rest of the machine. After a thorough clean down I fitted the new belt, tensioned the drive and then using a cordless drill and a socket attached to the top pivot I turned the mechanism. Everything seems to be running perfectly EXCEPT I noticed the new belt tended to hug the pivot wheel side causing fraying of the belt and rendering it useless. I cannot see anywhere to adjust the belt to center it (such as on a belt sander). Pointless trying to carry on and ruin a fourth belt until I can fathom this out. I have attached some pics if anyone can throw some light on this. I resigning myself to having to get some professional help.

Attachments

• 1 Belt hugging side of drive pulley.jpg
    1 Belt hugging side of drive pulley.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2 Belt hugging side of pulley.jpg
    2 Belt hugging side of pulley.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3 Broken bearing casing.jpg
    3 Broken bearing casing.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 5 New belt fraying.jpg
    5 New belt fraying.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 11
I think you need to replace those bushes. As I see it, the spindle is tilting to one side (the side where the bushing is now missing) and the belt is favouring the same side, rubbing against the washer. Replacing the bushes should balance the spindle and centre the belt like you would on the belt sander.

I think you need to replace those bushes. As I see it, the spindle is tilting to one side (the side where the bushing is now missing) and the belt is favouring the same side, rubbing against the washer. Replacing the bushes should balance the spindle and centre the belt like you would on the belt sander.
Thank you so much, I think you are right. I have stripped down a bit more of the machine and found some serious problems with the infeed roller, pics attached. Regarding the spindle, I understand exactly what you are saying but I cannot see any bearing fitting. The picture 2746 shows the chain resting on the spindle but this only because I have removed the infeed roller. i would have thought the roller would have had a bearing instead of bushes considering the moving parts should have some kind of lubrication! Still next job is to locate bushes. The saga continues but one day all will be well.

Attachments

• 2742 Infeed roller showing spring and damaged casing.jpg
    2742 Infeed roller showing spring and damaged casing.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2746 Belts pulley.jpg
    2746 Belts pulley.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2749 Remains of infeed roller bearing.jpg
    2749 Remains of infeed roller bearing.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2751 Infeed roller casing.jpg
    2751 Infeed roller casing.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2754 Infeed roller bearing.jpg
    2754 Infeed roller bearing.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 13
The Kity part number is 96424 but that is if you were ordering them from France. If you have the inside and outside diameters you can order it from Simply Bearings. I wish I kept my invoice so I could give you their part number.

Gary

Update:

Inner diameter 20mm, outer 24mm and length 25mm part number AL2024-25 Parts page

Last edited:
The Kity part number is 96424 but that is if you were ordering them from France. If you have the inside and outside diameters you can order it from Simply Bearings. I wish I kept my invoice so I could give you their part number.

Gary
Thanks Gary,
I'll measure and then see what I can do. By the way congratulations, it's your 4th anniversary tomorrow on this forum.

regards
Tony

Hello Gary,

Many thanks for all your help. It could have been a very frustrating time if not for your time and patience. I have ordered the bearings and a drive belt so look forward to getting a stage further.

Kind regards
Tony

OK another query, how do I remove the cog from the end of the infeed roller to enable me to fit a new bearing? Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• 2754 Infeed roller bearing.jpg
    2754 Infeed roller bearing.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 9
I'm racking my brains trying to remember how I did it. My feeling is that the cog screws on righty-tighty/losey-lefty. I would try unscrewing it first then as Fordgate1 suggests, a small puller.

Gary

Thanks guys, one day I'll have this machine running just dandy mainly thanks to you all for your help. I'll let you know what works.

I got my new bearings and drive belt, excellent service from Simply Bearings. The chain pulley was a matter of unscrewing. Fitted the bearings but now find the bearing flanges are too thick thus not being able to fit the feed roller assembly back into the main unit. It looks like I have to grind about 0.5mm off each bearing. Also I noticed that the roller is able to be moved side to side allowing the roller teeth to catch and grind on the casing. Surely this can't be right! I guess it's a question for the Kitty team in France to give me some advice. I've had some great advice from you all on this matter but I feel I'm becoming a bit of a pain by continually asking for help.

Back