Advice to a 15 yo wanting a woodwork career

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you both. See if she sticks at it - then I'll be back.
Much appreciated.
Wish one of my daughters were interested in woodworking. I have a workshop full of tools that are going to go to some clearance company when I die. Some of them earned a living for multiple generations of the family.

That's good to know, what were you doing City and Guilds or NVQ ?
It was a City and Guilds Craft Certificate, then third year was an Advanced Craft Certificate.

Next step would have been a HNC but as I wouldn’t get paid for that weekly Day Release I stupidly decided it wasn’t for me. Having that HNC would have opened up a lot of career opportunities.

Saw plenty of ladies in the carpentry and joinery workshop at the local technical college today, so all is not lost in the principality.
It’s nothing new as there was a girl in the year above me in college way back in the Eighties. In another part of the building and two years below me there was a girl doing a bricklaying apprenticeship.

I think she would be better off with a niche speciality. Rather than the typical 1st and second fix bedrooms and kitchens.

Something like restorations or fine furniture, chairs or side tables etc would be a better bet. Being female Willbe a talking point and get her noticed.

And In my experience females tend to have much more drive than the typical male and more so being in a male dominated vocation.

Before i retired three years ago I was a D&T technician, In our school every pupil did D&T up until end of year 9 then either took it or dropped out. We had a surprising number of kids who were obviously gifted in the practical skills department. I with the teacher i worked with did our best to help those kids out, some of the projects we built for GCSE were A level standard.
I dont miss the rubbish from slt & the feral scrotes but i miss the good kids & the stuff we helped them make.
It always grieves me how the subject has been dumbed down.

I agree with everything Against_The_Grain has written. Exactly my experience. I would also chuck in when local government policy drives you out..as in the case of Wycombe's destructive treatment of its chair making industry. Washed up, broke and broken. So my advice is the same.......DON'T.

There are many branches of the craft that don't come to contact with construction sites though, and they are worth exploring.

If you're good a spatial thinking and visualising, that opens up the world of stereotomy. This, by its very nature, excludes the general site oik and shouty, half brain management types.

Yeah, don't.
It's a problem with a lot of professions really. Nobody will entrust a younger person with a project
that's creative and is financially rewarding. By the time you get to do such commissions, you've waded
through a decade of drudgery and are probably sick of wood of any kind.
There are easier ways to make a living and if it's the creative aspects that are near to your heart, a small workshop
in a shed or garage is all it takes.

I have just read through these post from start to (current) finish, I think I will go and shoot myself! My father was a joiner (in central London) carrying his tools on public transport. He cautioned me against the woodworking trade when leaving school at 15 (1962), so I went into electronics for the next 15 years (five year apprnticeship in the RN). I then went To West Dean College (location of The Repair Shop) for a one year Antique Furniture Restoration course. I was then self employed until recent retirement(?). I did employ individuals (one for 20 years). I did witness that the antique furniture trade shrunk alarmingly with the rise of IKEA. Youngsters did not want "brown furniture" and would rather spend money on rubbish that they would change like clothes and often did not last as long! I have seen wonderful pieces of furniture going for peanuts. It frustrates me that I don't live in a bigger house, mine is already full of great antiques.

My only advice is that she should bear in mind that no training is wasted and these days it is much easier to move sideways in a career when the opportunity arises. The biggest requirement to me is a "work ethic", sadly lacking in too many people today. In my day you had no choice, my Dad was badgering me when I left school (14 and 11 months) that I didn't have a job, I started work at the tender age of 15 and two weeks (no gap year for me!).

Basically its solid geometry for woodworkers. It looks complicated, but when you break it down into its individual component parts, it becomes easier to understand.

It's good for people who have strong visualisation skills, but struggle with numerical mathematics or with using computer programmes.

Going back to the tools idea.
Given a focus on hand tools, what would you suggest as a starter tool kit please?
Remember the age (14/15).
I can provide these.
Chisels, 3 6 12 18mm
No 4 plane
soft hammer
sharppening stone / plate.
Ruler, 5m rule
What else please?

In addition, thinking of what I reach for in almost every project:
Marking guage, combination square, sliding bevel, panel saw, tenon saw, marking knife.

Don't know if she'd be interested but I think a good practical line of work for a female is a decorator.

There are a couple round here who are excellent, it just seems to suit females as they are naturally neater and tidier than men. They are always really busy, I think part of it is that it's often the lady of the house who is in charge of organising such things and they would rather deal with another female rather than having some strange bloke in the house.

Latest posts

Back