Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mouppe":37yn2raf said:
Been meaning to make this for about ten years. Finally got round to it. Only took 3 hours- why did I wait so long?!!! It's on little wheels and has about 35 clamps on it so far and room for plenty more.

]
That's a good idea mouppe and being mobile will save a lot of time cramping up a big piece =D>

Regards Keith

blackrodd":w7ah88wn said:
After a while, I did manage to tear my gaze from the scrummy cake display and look at the stand.
And I'm glad that I did, excellent job, You certainly come up with some clever designs, And I do like the eeb,
on the base.
What paint finish was this? looks almost glossy.
Regards Rodders

Thanks. The bee on the base is my makers mark. I would have put it underneath but as it has a felt base had to put it on the top. The finish is a coat of white paint and then a coat of clear varnish. This tearoom sells a lot of chocolate fudge cake which gets everywhere and so was told to make the stand "wipeable"
John15":w7ah88wn said:
I'll take the cake, if that's OK.

John
Lol
JanetsBears":w7ah88wn said:
There was a stand? I didn't notice anything other than cake! :oops:
I take that as a compliment. It is very good cake I should add.

Doris":1myc36s8 said:
So you should! On examining the photo more closely, the stand looks pretty impressive - I could happily make the base and two cake supports but it would probably take weeks of roaming through woodland to find suitable pieces to join the bits together :D

Chris

Olive ash slice which will be used as an alcove shelf. My mate cut this from a log freehand with a chainsaw. I just planed and sanded it, finished with Rustin's plastic coating
14267008878190.jpg

Attachments

• 14267008878190.jpg
    14267008878190.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 418
JanetsBears":ueook6xz said:
Doris":ueook6xz said:
So you should! On examining the photo more closely, the stand looks pretty impressive - I could happily make the base and two cake supports but it would probably take weeks of roaming through woodland to find suitable pieces to join the bits together :D

Chris

Actually it's all made from kilm dried timber.

https://gracesilverwood.wordpress.com/c ... -carvings/

Doris":2nfs3w2p said:

I really liked reading your blog. I particularly liked the tulips you carved. Many years ago I bought some carved tulips and a handmade vase for the woman who became my wife and she was thrilled with them. She will be even more thrilled if I make some more for her and you've just inspired me to do so. Thanks. (I just need to find the time !)

Made this bird table from recycled timber and Formica; my neighbour is revamping his kitchen
Roof Formica, table base is slate from Wales

bird%20table%20095_zpsuvimbrwv.jpg

bird%20table%20096_zps4ufscgzv.jpg

bird%20table%20098_zpsgylgafbf.jpg

mseries":3gjxq4uv said:
Doris":3gjxq4uv said:

I really liked reading your blog. I particularly liked the tulips you carved. Many years ago I bought some carved tulips and a handmade vase for the woman who became my wife and she was thrilled with them. She will be even more thrilled if I make some more for her and you've just inspired me to do so. Thanks. (I just need to find the time !)

Its stories like that that make my work worthwhile. Thank you for sharing.

Not just the last thing I made but the first!!
Its the first bit of woodwork I have done since leaving school in 1975. I have had some very good advice from this forum on questions I have asked on the construction.
SWMBO has been asking for a blanket box for a couple of years now, so I took the plunge and came up with this. My mother is making a cotton liner which I will staple inside.

One of a pair of oak stools, hand hollowed and the legs rounded by hand.
I had to make a scorp and tapered ream and rounder for the legs, the wedges are bog oak.

21st March by maddpete, on Flickr

Pete

richarnold":3b8lq3q6 said:
The last thing I made on my own was a Computer desk in air dried olive ash from MAC timbers with bog oak handles and cock beading. It was a great piece to make, but I probably got the price completely wrong and hardly made minimum wage doing it. I don't really care though as you don't get commissions like this every day

That is truly awesome and i hope i can one day make one like that
Can i be rude and ask how much that set you back in materials and how many hours did that take?

Scorp photos for Doris

Its just a piece of O1 with a bevel and holes, bent cold and hardened and tempered, then screwed to a lump of shaped oak.
Next time I would leave the ends by the holes flat so it beds easer.

Its crude but works very well, you can really hog off some wood across the grain and get a nice finish with the grain.

Pete

Back