What's your favourite and least favourite part of woodwork?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
least favourite:

Finishing. Me and finishing don't get on. We'd had counselling, trial separation but we hate each other.

most favourite:

everything else!

What about you?

Hey, how come you stole my answer?

but heres my plan B.
Most favourite, making so much noise with my power tools my mrs comes out and whinges at me.

least favourite, attempting to get small flat boards and straight edges. Untill santa brings me a wadkin, Its gonna be an ongoing battle.

Finding the timber
December's skip.jpg

Bringing it home :)
December's skip 2.jpg

Attachments

• December's skip.jpg
    December's skip.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 368
  • December's skip 2.jpg
    December's skip 2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 368
Favourite? Hammering home a seasoned oak peg into a green oak draw-bore m&t, and hearing the pitch rise with each blow of the mallet as the joint tightens.

Least favourite? Running lengths of timber through the router table, especially larger rebates. The screaming of the router, and hearing or feeling tearing happening........

Actually, the real "least favourite" is running to the first aid cupboard trying the staunch the flow of blood from some self-inflicted wound. It's pretty rare these days, because I'm not a slow learner.

I absolutely hate sanding. It’s really bad when your job revolves around doing a lot of it.

I rather enjoy making boxes sash windows, definitely my favourite thing to make despite everyone else hates making them.

Least:- Keeping my workshop tidy or at least being able to get in the door!
Most:- Satisfaction of a completed project

Brian

Favourite is any time I spend woodworking

Least favourite is all the time work gets in the way of me woodworking

I should edit my post, if I'm honest my fave bit is buying big shiny tools.

Cheered myself up from my finishing woes with some retail therapy, got some lovely sexy Bessey clamps on the way. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Most favourite:
Currently, edge-planing a bit of wood. I can usually manage that part, at least.
I'm also enjoying using Danish oil.

Least favourite:
Currently anything where the end result has to be square or flat. Having a real bad time of nothing going right at the minute, be it sawing, chiselling, ploughing or even planing properly. I'm amazed I haven't thrown/smashed anything yet...

Favourite: Pushing a finely-tuned handplane along a well-behaved bit of wood.

Least favourite: Cleaning glue squeeze-out.

Best - seeing peoples reaction to stuff I've made particularly if it's a gift.

Worst - unexpected tear out.

my favourite part is sharpening the tools then putting them in the tool chest (that I made myself) now that is satisfying, lock it up and you're good to go, sharpening is like meditation.

least favourite part is sanding and finishing, especially when a higher gloss finish is needed, it's worse on softwood where a tiny dent can ruin it.

Worst part is dust. Best part is seeing a finished item appear from a pile of sawn planks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Very similar to your initial post Oscar but I hate sanding almost as much as finishing.

Top of my satisfaction list is making something from wood I've saved from being skipped skiped and discovering that when you scrape the finish off some tatty old wood it's actually rather nice hardwood. :D

For me:
Favourite:- that moment when you stand up straight and look down, after putting on the first coat of finish, at the marquetry picture you just completed and seeing it in its full true beauty for the first time 8)

hated:- having to go through the dust collector for the thing I just hoovered up :roll:

Droogs":27jor9bm said:
For me:
Favourite:- that moment when you stand up straight and look down, after putting on the first coat of finish, at the marquetry picture you just completed and seeing it in its full true beauty for the first time 8)

First coat on the picture is always good for me Droogs, it's the rest I find tedious and never seems to be as good as I would want, same with carvings, haven't done any for a while though.

Favorite, finishing something like a guitar, stringing it up and hearing it come to life, that and planing rough-sawn board smooth. Worst ...Glue...without a doubt. Its where all my disasters occur. I hate gluing. I just had another episode of gluing technique failure. Perfectly fitting joint in a guitar slipped slightly with epoxy, how, I'll never know. Grrr. Can't do much about it! Glue...hate :evil:

BTW, I learned a trick for glue squeeze out. Maybe common knowledge, but I now use a drinking straw cut on an angle so it has a fine point. Run it along the squeeze out (esp in corners) and it picks up the glue inside the straw. Works like magic. Still hate glue though.

Cheers
Richard

Back