What's your favourite and least favourite part of woodwork?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Favourite :- Showing a largish piece of timber to the bandsaw and seeing a 'kit of parts' emerge.

Least favourite :- Sharpening

Least favourite: using a table saw, electric router, chop saw, etc.... any loud power tool that makes dust could cause serious injury.
Favourite: hand cut joints coming together.

Favorite : That hiss / whistle sound of a sharp plane on good wood and making fine shavings :)
Least: having to move jobs in and out to the drive / garden when I don't have enough space to do them indoors and the race to get things safely back under cover when the weather turns. It's such a waste of time !

Favourite: hand-planing wood when it all just works - smooth shavings and straight lines

Worst two: clearing up after PVA glue, and shuffling things around to use machinery

richarddownunder":29dc8pwx said:
Favorite, finishing something like a guitar, stringing it up and hearing it come to life, that and planing rough-sawn board smooth. Worst ...Glue...without a doubt. Its where all my disasters occur. I hate gluing. I just had another episode of gluing technique failure. Perfectly fitting joint in a guitar slipped slightly with epoxy, how, I'll never know. Grrr. Can't do much about it! Glue...hate :evil:

BTW, I learned a trick for glue squeeze out. Maybe common knowledge, but I now use a drinking straw cut on an angle so it has a fine point. Run it along the squeeze out (esp in corners) and it picks up the glue inside the straw. Works like magic. Still hate glue though.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers! Have to try that straw trick.

Is it electric or acoustic guitars you make?

Least favourite - Buying timber. If there's a stress-free way of finding just the right timber at a reasonable price and getting it to my home easily, I haven't found it yet.

Favourite - when a job reaches the point when you know what you have to do, and it starts to go well enough that you lose yourself in it - so well that you suddenly realise that your difficulty seeing the marks is because it's going dark, and you hadn't noticed the time passing.

OscarG":31ss0w6s said:
richarddownunder":31ss0w6s said:
Favorite, finishing something like a guitar, stringing it up and hearing it come to life, that and planing rough-sawn board smooth. Worst ...Glue...without a doubt. Its where all my disasters occur. I hate gluing. I just had another episode of gluing technique failure. Perfectly fitting joint in a guitar slipped slightly with epoxy, how, I'll never know. Grrr. Can't do much about it! Glue...hate :evil:

BTW, I learned a trick for glue squeeze out. Maybe common knowledge, but I now use a drinking straw cut on an angle so it has a fine point. Run it along the squeeze out (esp in corners) and it picks up the glue inside the straw. Works like magic. Still hate glue though.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers! Have to try that straw trick.

Is it electric or acoustic guitars you make?

Acoustic...but I'm really just a beginner, just finishing my second. The straw trick comes from this book...https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/ ... edir_esc=y and is great for cleaning the squeeze out along ribs, for example.

Favourite: looking at something you made and seeing you got the proportions spot on.

Hate: realising you should have used nicer wood when you’ve nailed the proportions and joints on what was a practice piece.

F.

So may mixed thoughts!

Least favs - sizing and planing timber. Making endless glazing beads

Most favs. - All finishing from the glue up onwards. Even love the sainding! Surprised so many people hate sanding

Lol I like the answers, gives me an idea...

I can see a job exchange program here....

For the people who hate sanding: I’ll happily do it for you if you finish my stuff :wink:

We could all swap the jobs we hate for ones we like. Woodwork utopia!

Least favourite: having to stop and sharpen, especially sharpening a drawknife. I don't like getting into the flow and then stopping to sharpen. Having said that, freshly sharpened edges are wonderful.

Favourite: almost everything else. Using a finely tuned plane is up there though.

A bad day in the workshop is still better than a good day at the computer. :)

Least favourite is even after measuring twice the board ends up just a smidgen short.
Favourite bit is when you first fit all the bits together and it starts looking like it's supposed to.
Regards
John

Worst:- using the devils toilet paper ( abrasive papers on wood)

Best:- when teaching and someone understands and clicks into a technique or new way of doing something that they have been struggling with.
Or wood that just works perfectly for any of the jobs in hand, failing that a difficult piece of wood that due to years of experience is tamed and quickly and quietly shaped into the desired form.

Today I hung a new howdens 6 panel internal moulded grained door. (Classy)
On the Bathroom.
The convo:
That door needs going on.
It's Christmas eve love!

The family are here tomorrow. It's Christmas day. So is my Aunty Jackie.

Jeeeesus!
Right you are love.
I'm all over that.

The builders (Actually it was Uncle Darren. The Roofer) fitted the door frame. :roll:
Hitting shizzle with a hammer apparent doesn't make it square.
Who Knew?

Refitting the door multiple times. Growling at Uncle Darren (under your breath because he's her family)
Cutting down the length of some mad size door.
Planing to exact thickness some pine to replace the bottom bearer knowing it needs to be there but no one in the world other than you will know because modern doors are shi*e and I'm not a millionaire.

Carrying the bleedin door up and down the stairs and down to the shed. Repeatedly.
Finally hanging it and its a 2mm gap all round and I nailed it to legendary standards. Me and my Number 5.
And you take a look and your Mrs walks past and gives your ar*e a squeeze and it's Christmas Eve.
All the down moments but carrying on and getting it right sometimes. Very occasionally nailing it to the extent that all the orbits of the spheres ended perfectly just so you could do that joint.
And it's just a bloody bathroom door.
Never mind the tricky stuff.

Also.
Not seeing Auntie Jackies fat ar*e by accident on Christmas Day. Sooooo worth it.

The Highs and Lows.
It's a roller coaster. Honestly.

Happy Christmas all. :ho2

Regards
Chris

When planing I love getting the long, thin strip which is produced when you cut the upper half of the gauged line away. It's a lovely confirmation that you're getting something right and it can't be faked. This morning I got such a strip which for the first time ever was a single piece from one end of the wood to the other (OK, it was only just over two feet long but it's my record up to now).

I hate it when I carefully plane a board square on all six sides then rip it on the band saw to get two pieces with bows that would make Robin Hood's eyes go green with envy.

Favourite: Success at a new-to-me technique or joint, and convincing myself I have it mastered.
Least favourite: A poorly fitting joint of a type I was previously convinced I had mastered.

Least favourite:
Sanding and finishing.
There is a very sound reason behind my recent purchase of a 4 metres long stroke sander. I need something that will make sanding fast....... because I hate it.
Barking the waney edges and stacking newly sawn timber isn't very fun either but at least it is bearable...... which sanding and finishing isn't.
Drilling peg holes in log walls using a 1 1/2 inch auger was another not too fun job..... but since I bought a huge Eibenstock power drill that isn't a problem anymore.

Most favourite:
Logging
Sawing
Machine work
Hand tool work
Log house carpentry.

Latest posts

Back