What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Raining today :roll: so back in the workshop. Made a new base dust catcher for the table saw, using the paint bucket I got from Toolstation,cut a 100mm hole in the bottom at one end and fitted a reducer to go into a 63mm pipe. :D it works (hammer)

Opened up, did a quick contents check; just to be sure everything was there and in order.

Yes it was.

Added the screwdriver for the funny-drive pocket-screws I bought from Axminster by mistake, then noticed the mini pocket screw jig which might come in useful! (UJK I believe) Ordered one. At least I can use the screws now without hunting through my biscuit tin full of tiny driver-bits! When I get a round tuit. Hmmm! Free box of screws too. Now I have to use the jig! (hammer)

I dunno the broom head sitting on the planer looks a bit ordinary!

Mark is the PT an RM like Jack's? It looks a bit different to me. Still haven't gotten round to finishing the side extension to my BGS (ran out of room) but my new workshop build is underway so it's on the horizon at least!

Memzey that is the older cousin of the RM, its an MJ. It dates from about 1925 and is a line shaft machine. A lot of the design is similar to the RM. It has the skewed knives and can accept moulding knives in the head without upsetting the planer knives. I've not tried that though. Jack got his head altered to accept modern tooling.

This morning, waxing and buffing painted birch ply with a pine brush in my drill press. Very pleased with the results.

This afternoon, some assembly work at the bench whilst listening to the test match. No machinery going, doors wide open and the sun shining. It's days like today that make me think how lucky i am to do what i do.

skipdiver":2v0bz00n said:
This afternoon, some assembly work at the bench whilst listening to the test match. No machinery going, doors wide open and the sun shining.

I'm not a cricket fan, but that sounds like a little bit of heaven!

skipdiver":1d88c1ko said:
This afternoon, some assembly work at the bench whilst listening to the test match. No machinery going, doors wide open and the sun shining.

Same :D :D :D

Spent an hour or so in the sun happily taking a #4½ to some lengths of 2x3 to clean them up before making some sawhorses tomorrow.

Today I learned...
...why we invented joiners and planer thicknessers and table saws and bandsaws.

2016-05-29-17.49.31a.jpg

Holy carp will I be happy when I have the workbench built and planing doesn't mean shoving and dancing with a workmate around the back yard...

A major cleanup and reorganization of my workshop happened today:
27053743060_861c630cb9_b.jpg

Moved this bench from the far right corner of the workshop
27053754620_59b5a64b75_b.jpg

So I could put this new bench there:
26722433603_7b30f0c6e7_b.jpg

27295614956_c85025cd3b_b.jpg

The whole town had this organized 2nd-hand event/thingy so we've been walking around peoples yards looking at what they got. Found said bench today and got it delivered by the seller for 70€. About 2 meters long, a little less.

I dunno about the table saw, or the jointer/planer but they are on wheels so... I am gonna try to keep the router table in the middle of the room like that to also use it as an assembly table. The router is one of my least used tools.

Couple of bags of sand on the base works pretty well Mark. When you finish cut em open lie down. Just like being on the beach.

Lots of drilling with Bertha today. Mortices all over the place and Bertha's the lady for the job. Old heavy and hard work. She's a piece of work though. One arm going one speed the other doing another. Bit like patting your head and rubbing your belly. The only tool I have ever named because she deserves a name. And like a lady if you get the rhythm right she pays out in silver dollars. If you mess the rhythm up she shrieks and your wood gets stuck.

:shock:

kcf73O5.jpg

Cheers BM, I'll have to do something like that on the sawhorses when they're done.

Oh, and I learned two more things this evening:
1) It's *really* easy to cut mitres on a mitre saw to the correct angle in the opposite direction to where they should be going. I guess I get to test the "lower bench height" theory when planing the 2x4s for the benchtop...
2) If you have a favorite japanese handsaw and you accidentally knock it off the table, you shouldn't try to catch it and you really, really shouldn't succeed in catching it. Now where's that box of plasters...

MarkDennehy":2tjw9sly said:
Spent an hour or so in the sun happily taking a #4½ to some lengths of 2x3 to clean them up before making some sawhorses tomorrow.

Masochist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouchhh! Sorry about the saw-catching incident. :oops: Hope it wasn't too bad!
I was lucky, I caught the handle. Just!

Benchwayze":331zshts said:
MarkDennehy":331zshts said:
Masochist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I prefer the term cheapskate :D I saved a whole €9.06 by using RWD instead of PAO... /facepalm

On the other hand, it's good warmup for the bench.

Ouchhh! Sorry about the saw-catching incident. :oops: Hope it wasn't too bad!
I was lucky, I caught the handle. Just!
Caught the rip side happily, so just a few half-inch-long slashes across the pinky fingertip. More annoyed at the brain turning off and trying to catch it in the first place. If I'd caught the crosscut side of the ryoba, I'd probably have done a little more damage!

MattRoberts":1y0nxo44 said:
After making this (exceptionally ugly) prototype,

f65c8570248b4ed54d89b7fc53e4c878.jpg

I got round to upgrading my dust cart

d3580f285c161c5a8cc76b6480558544.jpg

It's impressive, but I can't work out what powers the blade? :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back