What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the morning changing the method for storing my clamps - much better now.

John

I sat and watched the rain for most of the day, getting more and more annoyed that the first day of my week off was being rained out (no, monday wasn't the first day off, monday was family duties all day long because it was the bank holiday here in Ireland rather than last week).

I did manage to finish off the two sawhorses for the bench build, get the 4½ to the bench grinder to convert it back from being a scrub plane (it came that way from ebay, but I have a 15-euro amtech piece of.... whatever for that role), fixed the mangled bevels on a few of the chisels, and then I sharpened the blades on all the planes and now my hands are slightly crampy. Tomorrow I'll face the new cramps with some scrap wood and then start planing the 2x4s for the bench top. If I'm *very* lucky, I might manage to get this thing built before sunday without making a total dogs breakfast out of it...

Haven't read all of this thread but what I am going to do today is go into my workshop and do a strip search..... I am damn sure there is a floor and bench in there somewhere.

Bought 6 one-meter pieces of black ½" pipe for my pipe clamp heads. Cost me 50 euros.... These where not inexpensive clamps in the end! Just the pipe would have cost 25 euros but to cut and thread was more expensive, but I didn't have the tools todo it myself... But now I got some nice clamps at least.

Monday: built/fitted new shelf unit on the wall replacing a repurposed domestic floor stander, new one only goes down to approx 8" above TS height, allowing room [just] to cut an 8x4 sheet.
Yesterday/today building cupboards above the bench to replace flimsy crappy shelves. I may have made them too deep, overhanging too much of the bench. I'll live with it for a bit to see if it'll need a mod.

2016-06-08-21.00.13a.jpg

2016-06-08-21.36.12a.jpg

Made a start on the bench build finally (after sharpening every damn chisel and plane going). Got the legs all glued up, tomorrow's the top and squaring up the legs, then it's on to the aprons and the tool tray and the joinery and assembly. Probably won't get it finished by the weekend, but hopefully will get close enough that it won't take another month of weekends to finish.

Raised my mitre saw by about 6" (or metric equivalent) simply by stowing some 4 x 2 ply sheets, flat on top
of the chop-saw bench. I had to move them from the aisle where they had been stood on edge. Now I can sweep out the shop properly! It feels funny using the saw, but it will give me an incentive to get started with all this ply, and finish off the MFT stand! The Festool metal legs are way too high for me! :mrgreen:

Planed up boards for the bench top, then went to the post office to pick up my Record 52½E vice which I'll need to have to hand to fit to the bench.

Then found that what I'd been sent was a Woden 189, so there's now no hope I can get the bench built by the weekend. An entire week off, months of planning, thrown out the window because someone sold a record vice on fleabay with both photos and description saying one thing, and then they shipped something else. Pretty ticked off now.

I bought these roller tables a while ago.
Had some long lengths of skirting to do today so decided it was a good time to figure out how to make them attachable to the machines.
621a376e804babadf350e0b03cc45dab.jpg

1a77dc32ec802a90ade7bcab646090dd.jpg

The skirting 3.6 metres long. It's soooooo much easier and means I don't need to get assistance for long lengths anymore.
I'll attach more wood to the spindle and tablesaw tomorrow so it can be hooked on when required. I drilled a hole in the leg just to make setting up easier and just poked a wire nail through.
98999e9e320a2412d822b17c6493d5a3.jpg

Should have done it years ago !

Coley

Carrried on making a dust collection box for my recently acquired Makita LS 1040 mitre saw. I bought this one rather than the sliding variety because I haven't got the workbench width for the latter and it will cover 95% of my needs. Trouble is, it seems that dust collection is total rubbish on all mitre saws, even when the dust port is connected up to a decent workshop vac like my Festool.

Luckily, I have a duct to my cyclone extraction system a couple of feet away, so I have a 45 deg. branch and blast gate on order so that I can connect it to a the dust collection box which will enclose the the rear half of the saw on three sides and the top. I'm making it from 4mm birch ply which I happen to have, joined by 15mm square ash strips and it will have a 100mm port in the side. All a bit of an experiment but, given that the saw blasts most of the dust backwards, I see no reason why it shouldn't be a lot more effective then the pathetic standard arrangement. Will post some pics when things have advanced further.

Jim

I chucked a green end grain cup in a box of shavings a few weeks ago just to finish drying off. I remembered it when I woke up this morning and went out first thing to finish it off. Got it done, but as I finished it started hammering it down so I ran inside and now I'm waiting to see where the house springs a leak next.

Went to the pie shop but on the way home some silly person decided it would be hilarious to drive through the puddles and soak me, so I was stuck with a soggy gingerbread man. I hope his car's electrics are knackered.

Got all my hand tools inside so I might continue work on a stool I've started in the other room.

monkeybiter":11pct3mf said:
Benchwayze":11pct3mf said:
I cut up some worn out, cork-backed table-mats, for sticking onto my sash cramps heads.

Great idea!

Biter,
Make sure SWMBO doesn't catch you! What you think are worn out might have sentimental value! :lol:

DSC00128.JPG

Made a little toy rocket for my 3 year old son.

He has informed me that he will be painting it purple!

Attachments

• DSC00128.JPG
    DSC00128.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 126
Benchwayze":6vtyfjm4 said:
Biter,
Make sure SWMBO doesn't catch you! What you think are worn out might have sentimental value! :lol:

We have round plates so surely if I just remove rectangles from the corners of the rectangular place mats that'll be fine. .....Won't it?

monkeybiter":39p4ret4 said:
Benchwayze":39p4ret4 said:
Biter,

We have round plates so surely if I just remove rectangles from the corners of the rectangular place mats that'll be fine. .....Won't it?

I got around it easily, as my old mats had Constable prints on them (Trago Mills's specials). So I told her I was making a Jigsaw Puzzle!

When I worked on the Jewellery quarter (Where one could buy anything from a safety-pin to a baby elephant), I 'got myself in' with a supplier of sheet cork.
I found that 1/4" cork was 'perfick'! The place mats came later after the trader closed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back