What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it would work with pipe. From memory the hole in the batten need drilling in the right place. Otherwise instead of the clamp heads being square to the batten they'd be all to cok (not square) They aren't clamps I'd say I enjoy using but they do serve a purpose ;)
4x1 would be a nicer size if you planned on clamping anything long- 2 x1 wood bends alot under pressure

Coley

ColeyS1":34a9mr36 said:
4x1 would be a nicer size if you planned on clamping anything long- 2 x1 wood bends alot under pressure

Coley nailed it.

Everything bends a bit under full cramping pressure, including T section sash cramps and Besseys, but 2x1 timber bends a lot!

Alternatively, if you're doing a glue up where you need the pressure absolutely dead square right through the joint, then think about using "D" section cramping pads, that way when the cramp's spine starts to bend it'll roll the point of contact further around the "D" section and the direction of pressure will remain straight and true. That's what I generally use for jointing up the boards for a table top, and it removes the need to alternate cramps top and bottom.

yetloh":2n87vxlw said:
It could be worse. Although not myself a boaty person I live in a very boaty area and it is noticeable that any product that has "marine" in front of its name automatically costs 50% more.

Jim
It's the same with anything that says "aero" ...

I was in a chandlers yesterday and a lot of stuff seems to have a high price tag because it's Marine based. However I did love the shop, you could buy a single bolt or screw if you needed to. Loads of clips, fastenings and do up things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":1jpx285h said:
I don't think it would work with pipe. From memory the hole in the batten need drilling in the right place. Otherwise instead of the clamp heads being square to the batten they'd be all to cok (not square) They aren't clamps I'd say I enjoy using but they do serve a purpose ;)

Coley

Using 3 by 1 inch green oak and seems to be working ok, like you say, not particularly fun to use, but serving a purpose.

You are right as well, won't work with pipe as the fittings are squared off. Making 5 bar gates is not my thing, but my landlord has been asking for a while and i cracked as i want him to let us take up the carpet in the house.

Thanks to you and custard for replies

Nick

I have just finished a kitchen storage cupboard for the wife. It all made from shed supplied 'pine', and my good lady doesn't want doors on it.
Went reasonably well, apart from some of the interesting shapes some of timber wanted to wind itself into, - a good learning curve.
There are a couple more shelves to fit yet.

Attachments

• SAM_2425a.jpg
    SAM_2425a.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 157
t8hants":1unc7mi6 said:
I have just finished a kitchen storage cupboard for the wife. It all made from shed supplied 'pine', and my good lady doesn't want doors on it.
Went reasonably well, apart from some of the interesting shapes some of timber wanted to wind itself into, - a good learning curve.

Will the super tall/narrow space be wine?

BugBear

bugbear":qm3k7zyc said:
t8hants":qm3k7zyc said:

Will the super tall/narrow space be wine?

BugBear

I am sorry to say it is only for the ironing board :roll:

Today I made a stove top smoker, with some carefully purchased car boot parts.

The main part is a just a 26 cm stock pot (£1.00).

But I had to cut down a microwave "high rack" (£0.50)

100_0955.JPG

So it was just high enough to keep the food above the (foil covered) heap of oak sawdust in the bottom.

Tea was some "smoked and baked" jacket potatoes (40 minutes smoking, 70 minutes baking)

Delicious! And all the more tasty when a "proper" (e.g. Cameron) stove top smoker is around £50, and a good deal smaller.

BugBear

DiscoStu":1f5t39k9 said:
I was in a chandlers yesterday and a lot of stuff seems to have a high price tag because it's Marine based. However I did love the shop, you could buy a single bolt or screw if you needed to. Loads of clips, fastenings and do up things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I feel the same and every now and then you can find something that isn't readily availale elswhere and is exactly what you need.

Jim

Over the weekend I finished off an oak wrapped mantle for a client, which will get installed today. Also a little progress on a jewellery box for my eldest daughter.
I've only just spotted this thread, a nice one to have on your time-line.

Made some tee nuts for the mill (yesterday)

I finally finished re wiring my workshop for all of my 3 phase machines. It only took 400m of wire :shock: At least each machine has its own correctly rated breaker now.

Yesterday I fitted an air filter up in the eaves of my little workshop.

Not as much as I wanted to do over the weekend.

Finished installing the inverter on my new old drill, using some very comprehensive instructions from Bob 9fingers aka MyfordMan. Very happy :D

Fitted an Omni directional aerial this afternoon on the Shed.
So now have digital TV and a better FM radio signal. :D

Attachments

• shed aerial.jpg
    shed aerial.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 221
Built the ugliest shop vac cart in the world in about an hour.

I got so fed up of carrying the vac and cyclone around, I figured I'd build something temporary and see how it goes, then build an improved one later.

23d775780778a940a42e7ac35c624a9b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back