What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a bracket and mounting plate to hold the voltage regulator on my 1945 Triumph 3HW, as you can't get the tube clamp type any more, and I didn't want to drill the mudguard.

today was the first proper day I've been allowed by the the surgeon since my foot op in October and I may have overdone it. I sharpened 26 Record 504 irons that I bought while laid up and built a bitsa #5 plane and fettled it, oh and planed up 2 oak boards. Now my feet are killing me, typing this while soaking them in a foot spa :)

job done!

floor.jpg

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 229
Stripping an old Elu 1200 router so I can make a table for it beside my table saw. Should I buy or make the insert? Don't know yet!

Copied and 'made' a dado (housing joint) jig from the video on here. I say 'made', probably better to call it a prototype/trial run for the real thing - my God my woodworking skills are rusty after several years of not being on the tools properly.

building lean too for extractor and compressor.... never ending task...

This was last night's contribution to my current project... Although by the time I cleared up, it was actually this morning; whoops!

lBXaowk.jpg

Also sneezed, a lot, the bandsaw needs better extraction.

Finished the insert for my TS router, and started a fence with an extraction port. Nice when things come together.

Cut all the sheet materials for some drawers and drawer boxes. Made all the drawers. Dominoed with 4mm dominos in 12mm ply. Seemed to go ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up 6mm polycarbonate cut to size from local glaziers for shed window.
Applied self adhesive dry glaze rubber strip all round and fitted in place.

Does it count if your workshop's not built yet? :D

Restored - well, cleaned up - a Record #5 1/2 over the weekend from this:

2016-04-08-21.04.30a.jpg

to this:

2016-04-10-15.22.37a.jpg

Didn't come out too badly, I thought.

Started a long overdue and much dreaded "complete overhaul" of my workshop. It's only half the size of my previous one and i have tried fitting a quart into a pint pot for too long. I'm having to be ruthless and inventive with space but i just can't bring myself to get rid of stuff, so i am dragging things all over the place and trying different lay outs. It actually started to feel more spacious but my storage shed is now rammed to the rafters. I'm going to have to extend my shed now in my never ending quest for a functional space to work in.

Sorted out more redundant tools, took them round to Tools with a Mission. My workshop is getting bigger as I clear out odds and ends!

Into the metal shop, continuing to make a collet drawbar for my Boley No 4 metal lathe (just reground, yay!). For the handle I got a disc about the right size from eBay, which I thought was mild steel. Possibly case-hardened, but the darn thing just blunted every HSS tool that I tried (freshly sharpened, proper angles, proper height etc). I don't normally advocate carbide tools, but in this case it was the only thing that would touch it. Touch it it did, and it's now well on the way.

Keith

Chipped the dried Cascamite off the laundry bin I glued up yesterday. It has 20 vertical slats, so 40 joints, hence the need to use Cascamite for the long open time - would have been a nightmare glue up with anything else. Luckily the wife wasn't over enthusiastic with the glue so not too much squeeze outand I'd taken the precaution of a couple of coats of shellac on the non glued areas, so it chipped off really easily. Great thing about shellac is its very quick to apply and just about any other finish will stiick to it. It will certainly need something else for use in a bathroom but I'm pleased to say that's down to the guy I'm making it for.

Jim

Mended my bike. Took old washing machine to the dump. Er, didn't do a lot of woodwork!

Onward with my workshop re-jig and the sweeping and hoovering of lots and lots of accumulated sawdust in those hard to reach places. Also trying to sort out my offcut piles which is always a dilemma. Shall i bin most of them, knowing full well that i will need the very piece that is now residing at the council tip?

MarkDennehy":3lauxuct said:
Does it count if your workshop's not built yet? :D

Restored - well, cleaned up - a Record #5 1/2 over the weekend from this:

2016-04-08-21.04.30a.jpg

to this:

2016-04-10-15.22.37a.jpg

Didn't come out too badly, I thought.

I have one of those, very very handy plane, hope you get lots of good use out of it :D

Fitted a tuff saw bandsaw blade and changed the speed setting on my bandsaw and it's like a new machine. Very happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I moved my surface grinder into the workshop finally, today I (jointly) took down an ancient and redundant sprinkler system.

25m of 4" steel pipe and another 30m of 2¼" steel pipe cut down. Between three of us it took from 11am till 5pm. We went through three 4" and one 10" cutting disks, and had a couple of hairy moments when sludge buildup made the piping heavier than anticipated, on attempting to use the 10" angle grinder on a ladder (too much torque), and when the 10" cutting disk burst (cutting the last little bit of the circumference of 4" pipe on the ground the disk went through like butter and caught one one side of the cut, tore itself apart, bounced off my visor and landed on the floor).

It also turns out that with some thought and careful positioning I can lift the pedestal of the grinder in and out of my car alone, in control... I don't seem to have suffered Ill effect from lifting nearly my own weight either.

It's been a wholly inadvisable, but both fun and necessary day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back