What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds a bit too hairy for my liking. Glad you had the good sense to wear a visor.

Jim

Does what I did yesterday count?

I built some flexible timber storage / shelving along half of one wall...just 8 6' long 2x2 screwed vertically to the wall with lots of 25mm holes drilled in them. Then some stainless steel tubing cut to length and stuck in the holes.

I'll finally be able to sort out the piles of timber and off cuts.

Tidied my storage shed so i could carry on sorting out my workshop and have somewhere to pile all the rubbish that's coming out of it. By rubbish, i mean stuff i'll probably never use but am reluctant to bin. Yes. i'm a bit of a hoarder. I can now spend tomorrow un-tidying my tidy storage shed.

Move a bench from under the main window to the blank wall next to it.Got more of the walls painted white, (it's really brightening the shop up) :D

After spending ages re-jigging my shop, i'm now a lot happier with the lay out but have decided that all my machinery is just too big and bulky, so it is all going to be replaced with smaller, more mobile stuff as and when i can get around to it. Also going to build myself a new workbench cum setting out table cum outfeed table cum portable thingy of some sort. Possibly folding, possibly knock down and hang on the wall jobby. Like the look of the Paulk torsion box idea, possibly with a frame on wheels instead of trestles.

skipdiver":miyniwmf said:
After spending ages re-jigging my shop, i'm now a lot happier with the lay out but have decided that all my machinery is just too big and bulky, so it is all going to be replaced with smaller, more mobile stuff as and when i can get around to it. Also going to build myself a new workbench cum setting out table cum outfeed table cum portable thingy of some sort. Possibly folding, possibly knock down and hang on the wall jobby. Like the look of the Paulk torsion box idea, possibly with a frame on wheels instead of trestles.
Will buy your jointer / thicknesser! ;)

I'm just in the middle of servicing everything at the moment. Had the planer blades sharpened last week and will fit them shortly. I have a Record Power RPT 260 and it hasn't been switched on for at least 2 years. My bandsaw is also out of action as both tyres and the drive belt have perished. £50 to £60 for a new set. Compressor had also stopped working and had a quote of £69+ VAT today for repairs. The moral of the story is not to leave machinery unused over a period of time as it is costing a packet to get it all up and running again.

Will bear you in mind Matt, if and when i get round to moving stuff on.

Rigged up a double-purchase weight system for the door to stop it swinging open so violently this morning. Made up from an old bit of 10mm plate steel, 3 pulleys and a length of 2mm SWR I had lying around. Total cost: £0. Value: insurmountable in terms of fustrastion abating.

Was in need of using my bandsaw but it is missing a tyre on the bottom wheel after it perished and disintegrated. £40 for a new pair plus delivery is IMO too much for two bits of rubber to fit a 350mm diameter wheel, when i can get some very sophisticated cycle tyres to fit a 700mm wheel for less than that, so i searched around on the internet and read that one guy uses friction tape on his and has done for 20 years and another guy said he used masking tape on his once and it worked really well. Looked in my drawer of various tapes and found a roll of cloth tape that i paid one pound for and thought why not. Wrapped several layers round, dropped it to low speed just in case, fitted a blade, set all the bearings and turned it on expecting it to go mammaries up. It sliced through a 3" piece of hardwood like a hot knife through butter with no problems and seemed to be running much better to me. Bedford saws also wanted £15 plus delivery for a new drive belt, so i went online again and found the same one for half that delivered. Result.

Perhaps not unexpectedly, but over the years I have noticed that modern society/economics is very poor at supporting the niche. All the things I do that are less than popular seem to have exorbitant prices for things that will a little thought can be made/fixed. Good on you for mending and make doing.

It could be worse. Although not myself a boaty person I live in a very boaty area and it is noticeable that any product that has "marine" in front of its name automatically costs 50% more.

Jim

Finished fitting the windows and glazing in my workshop and planning what design the doors will be . Have two bodged reclaimed doors in situe and need to fit the finals soon .

sam

I have a set of those Nick, I've only used them for jobs like you that want longer cramps. I found 2x1 slate laths a good fit.

Logger":7n3ia7mb said:
Picked up some of these today:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-record- ... stid=41187

I am making a 5bar gate for my landlord, not something i would normally do so needed to make long clamps.

Does anyone have experience of using these, do you attach to battens or can you rig something up with copper pipes using these?

Cheers

Nick

I have ripped down some 3"x2" to the correct width for mine.

Irwin Record
IRWIN RECORD M130 CLAMP HEADS (19451)

View reviews (6)
5 out of 5
View all Q&A
High quality clamp heads with steel main screw. A versatile alternative to full size bar clamps.

Grey Cast Iron
Use on 25 x 38mm Wood
Can be Fitted to Any Length Batten

There's a clue in the last sentence ... :)

I had read the bit about battens, and have some green oak of the right dimensions, i was wondering about whether anyone had used these clamp heads with pipes and whether it works. I was thinking of getting some and drilling holes along.

Cheers

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back