What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flattened the backs and sharpened my new chisels. Got myself a lovely set of 4 Stanley SW750's, so spent a couple of hours getting to know them.

Also upgraded my sharpening guide. The old 'Plywood & Lego' home-made jig has done me fine for a year or so but the new one is a different league altogether. Chuffed to bits.
rsz_img_4075.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_img_4075.jpg
    rsz_img_4075.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 273
That lego jig is genius. :D Made my day. TooT! TooT!

Bm101":4e549nyp said:
Thanks! With a bit of fiddling it actually worked pretty well. It's all about the angles ;-)
All that said though, now I have the veritas I ain't looking back.

custard":3jpzy1sl said:
thetyreman":3jpzy1sl said:
here's some pics of my first hand cut dovetail box, no power tools used here.

Excellent start to 2017!

I'm always puzzled why so many woodworkers run away scared from attempting dovetails. Unlike almost any other woodworking joints dovetails are still strong and reliable even when they're a bit gappy. And, as you so rightly say, your next box will be loads better.

Full credit for having a go, once you get this skill securely under your belt it opens the door to so much rewarding furniture.

=D>

thanks for the support custard, I've just ordered some brass hinges for it, will post again once it is completed.

Bm101":1vcxm54a said:

Spare a thought for his poor hard done by children!
"Dad, have you seen the axle off my Lego car?"
"No, your mother's probably hoovered it up." :roll:

swb58":2jviyaft said:
Bm101":2jviyaft said:

Spare a thought for his poor hard done by children!
"Dad, have you seen the axle off my Lego car?"
"No, your mother's probably hoovered it up." :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I pulled my trusty old DeWalt 708 SCMS to bits, pulled the motor armature out, broke the bearings at both ends and pulled them off the shafts and replaced with new ones. I also stripped the arbor gearbox and replaced the bearing on the output gear with a new one before re-assembling the whole lot with a new belt. Good as New, no longer screams like a Banshee when cutting.

Then kicked myself because I had clearly missed a golden opportunity to upgrade it to a Kapex 120.

thetyreman":ip8rgw8k said:

Jelly":ip8rgw8k said:
I made this, in the intervening moments.

Great boxes =D> =D>

thetyreman":37oxhfwr said:
custard":37oxhfwr said:
thetyreman":37oxhfwr said:

Excellent start to 2017!

I'm always puzzled why so many woodworkers run away scared from attempting dovetails. Unlike almost any other woodworking joints dovetails are still strong and reliable even when they're a bit gappy. And, as you so rightly say, your next box will be loads better.

Full credit for having a go, once you get this skill securely under your belt it opens the door to so much rewarding furniture.

=D>

thanks for the support custard, I've just ordered some brass hinges for it, will post again once it is completed.

What sort of hinges are you using? I spent a long time making my wife a jewellery box as a Christmas present only to stuff up fitting the butt hinges (recoverable I hope, but not in time for Christmas). I am going to use Neat Hinges next time as I understand they are much easier to fit (but this is if you are using a router of course, so if hand tool only may not be such a benefit).

Terry.

Does the other day count?!

Paul Sellers design wall clock, this one is in beech. I'm currently minus a clock mechanism if anyone has any recommendations for something 100mm diameter?

Wall Clock.jpg

Attachments

• Wall Clock.jpg
    Wall Clock.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 345
jlawford":2gc20qgx said:

Paul Sellers design wall clock, this one is in beech. I'm currently minus a clock mechanism if anyone has any recommendations for something 100mm diameter?

That's really nice. I watched that video series.

All done with hand tools?

Grawschbags":2tmf3l89 said:
jlawford":2tmf3l89 said:

That's really nice. I watched that video series.

All done with hand tools?

Thanks. I used a table saw to cut the parts to size (evening woodworking warrior = limited time!) but apart from that, yes.

The beading trick Paul demonstrates in the videos works great too and looks smart I think.

jlawford":hogazo2o said:

Lovely job, but surely that's oak?

Graham Orm":3dx5zt1g said:
jlawford":3dx5zt1g said:

Lovely job, but surely that's oak?

The frame looks definitely like beech to me - the grain fleck pattern gives it away...

Looks sweet nonetheless.

I always get to this point in a project where it seems a shame to put the finish on. When you have worked with the wood for that long on a project you get used to the way it looks. Hence my current obsession with experimenting with soap finishes.

jlawford":276hrwbv said:
I used a table saw to cut the parts to size (evening woodworking warrior = limited time!) but apart from that, yes.

The beading trick Paul demonstrates in the videos works great too and looks smart I think.

From what (relatively little) I've seen of Paul Sellers he seems to do a fine job of taking you through a structured series of projects that equip you with all the basic skills you need to make good quality, solid timber furniture. From the look of your clock it's clear you're already a very long way down that training road, as you've done really excellent work!

=D>

Thanks for the lovely comments! I have no problems fessing up to the raised panel being not even at the edges so there aren't some slight gaps if you look right into where it fits into the groove.

The wood is all beech, but not steamed so doesn't have the pink tinge you quite often see.

Re Paul Sellers, yes the project is structured in a way where you learn skills which then seem to lead into other things- for instance a cabinet door in this case doesn't take too much imagination to derive from the clock.

I finished the dovetail box today, filled in the gaps with 2 part epoxy, 5 layers of de-waxed shellac, 2 layers of clear briwax and installed the brass hinges, I really enjoyed making this, here are some pics

Attachments

• DT_box-1.jpg
    DT_box-1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-2.jpg
    DT_box-2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-3.jpg
    DT_box-3.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-4.jpg
    DT_box-4.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-5.jpg
    DT_box-5.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-6.jpg
    DT_box-6.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-7.jpg
    DT_box-7.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-8.jpg
    DT_box-8.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-9.jpg
    DT_box-9.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 160
  • DT_box-10.jpg
    DT_box-10.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 160
Just one point, do put some restraints on the lip not all people are as careful as you when opening it, they will strain the hinges and pull the screws out or worse split the casing or lid.

Mike

thetyreman":2gov87x9 said:
I finished the dovetail box today, filled in the gaps with 2 part epoxy, 5 layers of de-waxed shellac, 2 layers of clear briwax and installed the brass hinges, I really enjoyed making this, here are some pics

Looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back