What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished and delivered this for my god daughters first birthday, now shes got somewhere to keep the masses of toys...
3d96e8db36fa59a82eea9573ffb3f2c1.jpg
01694ca8c857ecd5fda9cff67b645ab7.jpg
941ba016d805f3b9303e684c8fd46f4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Edit: Not a particularly constructive first post...

I spend a lot of my day job looking at graphics and can't help but think there is something amiss with all of the letters. The E maybe right but looks upside down and the M's and A are backwards.

joel4mo":12y14zab said:

I spend a lot of my day job looking at graphics and can't help but think there is something amiss with all of the letters. The E maybe right but looks upside down and the M's and A are backwards.

Hello,

The E is OK but the M's and A are definitely backwards. Sorry, it's a bummer, but there is a convention to that, I used to be a sign writer and must have painted 100's of thousands of letters.

Mike.

Oh well too late now! We tried them both ways and personally i thought that looked better, but oh well!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I deal with graphics and ^^ was a sign writer but 99% of people won't notice. It's a great looking box, I'd be chuffed if someone made something for my kids.

I didn't actually do anything in my workshop today but this guy did and I got a chuckle out of seeing his vest on Instagram. Kinda want one...

15803505_1369130729785894_8077056638625775616_n.jpg

I don't mean to make fun but ...

woodbrains":39zb2o4r said:
joel4mo":39zb2o4r said:

Hello,

The E is OK but the M's and A are definitely backwards. Sorry, it's a bummer, but there is a convention to that, I used to be a sign writer and must have painted 100's of thousands of letters.

Mike.

Well that pee'd on my bonfire pretty quick :-(

tomlt":1k5qmd53 said:
woodbrains":1k5qmd53 said:
joel4mo":1k5qmd53 said:

Hello,

Mike.

It still looks great man! 99% of people aren't going to notice.

tomlt":1h5xaxow said:
woodbrains":1h5xaxow said:
joel4mo":1h5xaxow said:

Hello,

Mike.

Hello,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean and my comment was not meant as a criticism on the entire project, just the letters, but if I didn't say you'll do it again!

There is a little saying that serves as a reminder for setting out thick and thin letters, such as you've made.

'thick in the north west and thick in the south east ' imagine A V W etc, and the direction of the thick stroke.

Mike.

Incidentally, I'd find I a bit sad if 99 percent of the population wouldn't notice, I painted signs for 10 years, that is an awful long time to do something that no-one cares about! :cry:

Afraid so its something that most don't care about or even see, a sign company representative came into my office quite a few years ago now and tried to sell the concept of high visibility signage I asked if he really believed that everyone looked at sign's he obviously said yes, I responded it was a shame you did not see the "NO SMOKING" sign on my door.

I bet EMMA will be very pleased with her box, its brilliant.

"thick in the north west and thick in the south east" ??????????

Mike

woodbrains":1p8bg2pv said:
Incidentally, I'd find I a bit sad if 99 percent of the population wouldn't notice, I painted signs for 10 years, that is an awful long time to do something that no-one cares about! :cry:

On the contrary, I think sign painting is a wonderful art form that people do care about and admire, whether it's instilling pride in a place, shop or area, or simply brightening someone's day when they walk past a well made sign. Have you seen this film? http://www.signpaintersfilm.com/

But not noticing and not caring aren't the same, and I do think that most people wouldn't notice the correct orientation of a serif typeface unless it was pointed out to them. Doesn't mean they're not going to love the choice of typeface or the sign for which it was used.

El Barto":3j2tlo9v said:
woodbrains":3j2tlo9v said:

On the contrary, I think sign painting is a wonderful art form that people do care about and admire, whether it's instilling pride in a place, shop or area, or simply brightening someone's day when they walk past a well made sign. Have you seen this film? http://www.signpaintersfilm.com/

But not noticing and not caring aren't the same, and I do think that most people wouldn't notice the correct orientation of a serif typeface unless it was pointed out to them. Doesn't mean they're not going to love the choice of typeface or the sign for which it was used.

That is a good film, thanks for drawing my attention.

This will mess with your noodle, though, not all serif styles are thick and thin and not all thick and thin styles have serifs!

Mike.

On the sign writing theme:
I recently pulled a bit of painted timber out of my scrap pile which had mysterious hand painted letters on it; LONDO. It was dark maroon red with creamy letters. Sawn off at one end.
Could this be a reference to Anor Londo - the legendary city of the gods ?
Sudden recollection of Derby station many years ago - carriages had destination boards and a guard would go along taking them out and swapping them (at the end of the line obviously).
This sort of thing:

4603456734_272x222.jpg

Mine had been LONDON obviously, and looking closely you could see it had been painted over EXPRESS.
Derby was then a major centre of the timber trade with Derby Carriage and Wagons supplying most of the country, 1000s of skilled woodworkers including sign writers painting the names of far away places with strange sounding names.
We had one aged relative who had worked there and his house was fitted out with stuff made from exotic offcuts snaffled from the Carriage works. Still got an oak wardrobe of his - very thin oak so it must have been scrap.

Planing some oak on the kitchen table, yes I said the.... Kitchen Table. Awaiting fallout :lol:
rsz_img_4080.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_img_4080.jpg
    rsz_img_4080.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 201
I dropped a glass lid for a saucepan onto our kitchen floor today, given we have a tiled floor it was only the heroic self-sacrifice of the plastic knob that prevented the glas from exploding. I turned a new knob from a piece of oak. I might've done the wrong thing by applying shellac as a finish (followed by wax), will see how it holds up.

31346188484_84532f0902_b.jpg

tomlt":122x9zr9 said:
woodbrains":122x9zr9 said:
joel4mo":122x9zr9 said:

Hello,

Mike.

Cracking lid! and you got the kerning right!

Pete

There are a few workshop improvements planned for this year. The first was to put the router table on a rolling cabinet with drawers and storage for all the router bits and router tools.

Router-Table.jpg

What could be easier? Just ply, biscuits, and a few Dominos. But whenever I work with sheet goods it always takes twice as long and costs twice as much as expected. I thought this would be an easy one day job and cost about £100 in materials.

In fact it took two full days and that's excluding a couple of hours on the Blum website trying to figure out how Movento drawer runners differ from their old Tandem runners which are the only ones I've previously used. Plus it cost over £200 in materials, and that's including the fact that I bought the drawer runners from the For Sale section of this forum at a discount.

There are three or four similar cabinets that I want to build this year. So need to find a cheaper solution and speed up my build times. Ho hum.

Attachments

• Router-Table.jpg
    Router-Table.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 152
Looks like a fine cabinet. Presumably the biggest costs were the sheet of ply and the runners? Thus not using Blum runners would reduce the cost a fair bit?

By the way, do I spy finger joints on the top left boxes? If so, did you use any particular jig? :)

MattRoberts":9qbgt5cc said:
By the way, do I spy finger joints on the top left boxes? If so, did you use any particular jig? :)

Hello Matt, I'd made those boxes years ago and built the cabinet to fit them! For just one or two boxes like that I find it's as quick to cut finger joints by hand as it is to set up a jig, run test cuts, blah, blah, blah. Sometimes I use a Gifkins jig for finger joints, I'm sure there are better solution out there (it's accurate but inflexible and expensive) but as I rarely need finger joints for my furniture I've never really looked at alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back