What are they teaching in history classes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smudger":34z532v3 said:
And every kid we exclude costs us thousands of pounds (the authority fines us, effectively, for excluding them) which we can't afford.

Smudger - That is absolutely disgusting :x

How dare they :?: I bet no council worker will ever dare to come on here and say why they do that, it's unbelievable, who do they think they are :?:

If I was head of your school I think I would expel all the pupils and emigrate to Australia :lol:

One can sometimes question what our schools are doing these days but I will put my hand up and say it's a job I could never do. You must have tremendous self control. Are you allowed to say just what type of 'punishments' you can hand out :?:

I'm fumming

Digit":3sz9v0v0 said:
This is getting to be a habit Rich. I have to agree with you! :lol:

Roy.

Not sureif I've ever commented on your posts before Rich but I agree with Digit, a well written post that was :D

One of the council's excuses is that they give us money to educate the kids, and if we exclude them they can claim it back. We can't send back that proportion of a teacher, or the heating bill, of course, but looked at in that way funding by pupil numbers isn't a great idea.

Punishments - well, I did have a cane at one time (1977ish) but refused to use it. We can detain, remove from lessons, internally exclude and externally exclude. We have Saturday detentions. We use reports and the computerised management system to monitor behaviour, especially that of 'noted' pupils. If they don't improve, parents are called in and there is a Pastoral Support Plan. Basically, it is impossible to remove a kid unless they have had a PSP and it has failed, unless they commit a gross offence, such as bringing a weapon into school, serious assault etc.

But that isn't the problem - it's quite easy to deal with serious misbehaviour. The problem is what we call low-level disruption, time wasting and energy sapping, draining away the education of the good kids in the class. A lot of it is attention-seeking by inadequate kids who come from poor (or impoverished) backgrounds with inadequate parents. Sometimes its understandable (I had to deal with a lad last week who had just seen his Gran die, he was a bit edgy and upset of course) but often there is only bad parenting, yoof culture, general dumbing down and erosion of standards amongst the least able to blame.

So much so that I'm looking to get early retirement this year. I still love it when all goes well, but I'm getting tired - and I want to survive to have some retirement in my shed!

Enjoy your retirement Dick. My father retired early from teaching after 35 years - officially due to ill health, and in reality because he had had all his authority gradually eroded and he started to feel ill driving into school in the mornings. He knew that if any kid went out of line there was almost nothing he could do about it and that he'd have an irate parent screaming at him if he did. Pity, as he was a superb teacher - he had me reading at age level 8 and reciting all my 'times tables' by the age of 5....

Smudger":1l2r3165 said:
..........................So much so that I'm looking to get early retirement this year. I still love it when all goes well, but I'm getting tired - and I want to survive to have some retirement in my shed!

Wise words indeed Smudger. Which is exactly why I'm retiring at the end of next month around my 55th birthday from a career in financial services. Pressure gets to you in the end, and even if you can handle it, ultimately there is a price to pay. So I take a modest "hit" on my pension for going early, but on the plus side I get an extra 5 years of retirement at the quality end.

Now don't get carried away chaps. I ceased to be a wage slave at age 50, followed by self employment till age 60, then, one morning I woke up blind in the left eye and was forced finally to retire.
Now 'retired' I work harder than I've ever done before!
With a large garden, and household maintenance etc, I can't fathom how I found time to work as well.
This year's schedule, God willing, is convert the garage into a bathroom and bedroom, repair the fruit cage netting, replace ridge tiles, repair kitchen roof, dig pond, build patio, finish wardrobe doors, rebuild bathroom, build greenhouse and finish workshop.
Oh, and anything else HIDs thinks up.

Roy

If you take a teachers' pension early the amount is reduced - called the actuarial reduction. This is because you are going to live longer than if you go on. For teachers who retire at 65 the average age of death is 67...

I think I made my mind up tonight, and sincere thanks to those of you who pointed out the obvious - I often need that!

I'll certainly have plenty to do. Julie (CEO) will go in a year and then we will be enjoying our garden in England and building one in France - where I will have my second workshop. Already got a set of planes boxed up ready to go (Records in England, Stanleys in France). Just think of all that cheap (green) oak, ash, chestnut etc...

I've had a number of apprentices in my time and teaching the new generation should be a pleasure and a privilege.
Should be, unfortunately this government thinks it knows better how to teach, nurse, police, judge and just about everything else.
One of the first things I learned in management was, select the people for the job, then let them get on with it!
Are you listening Gordon et al?

Roy

Agreed, but they didn't have a state organised 'education'.

Roy.

MrJay":2ti89umz said:
To be fair, I'd imagine 47% of 12C Britons probably thought Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

Wasn't he in Robin Hood

titter
:)

Cheers Mike

Back