Late in life career shift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petemcr

Reaction score
Question for all the folks out there,

Kind of off topic but also on top,

What are peoples opinions on changing careers late on life, is it doable or has anyone managed it? I only ask because I work in IT and having spent a good portion of my life in this line of work it's no longer as rewarding as it used to be, but, doing some woodworking projects I've been doing has felt more rewarding than anything I've done in IT and I'm wondering if I picked the wrong career path or just to keep it as a hobby.

Granted, woodworking is REALLY new to me so it's all fun at this point and I'd imagine doing it as a job might change that, just curious if it's anything anyone else has looked at or even managed.

I was in aviation as a flying instructor and later a training manager in flight simulation. Took early retirement and found a job teaching woodturning and assisting disabled adults to make high end wooden items for resale as a private venture. Great change of direction and most fulfilling. Now retiring from that job, however, returning as a volunteer and potentially a trustee. Get move for me.... good luck with your change of direction.
Mick F

What are peoples opinions on changing careers late on life, is it doable or has anyone managed it? I only ask because I work in IT and having spent a good portion of my life in this line of work it's no longer as rewarding as it used to be, but, doing some woodworking projects I've been doing has felt more rewarding than anything I've done in IT and I'm wondering if I picked the wrong career path or just to keep it as a hobby.

Granted, woodworking is REALLY new to me so it's all fun at this point and I'd imagine doing it as a job might change that, just curious if it's anything anyone else has looked at or even managed.
Plenty of people change careers at all stages of life. I've just taken up playing the trumpet and I'm 78 - it was on freecycle and I couldn't say no! Not sure of the career prospects. :unsure:
The main thing is to have a go, but perhaps part-time, whilst safely employed or otherwise secure.
It all depends on what you make and how you sell it, or what services you would offer. What are your thoughts on those lines?

A lot depends on the individual's financial circumstances.If you need a particular level of income to maintain a lifestyle,a late starter might struggle to make stuff fast enough to achieve a decent lifestyle.The satisfaction of creation might also be diluted when you find it necessary to make something fairly boring and uninspiring by the vanload,in order to keep the lights on.Don't get caught up in the popular and misleading notion that "doing a course" will have you walking out of the training centre as a capable woodworker able to immediately earn a comfortable living.

Can it be done? A qualified yes would be my answer and I can't help reflecting on the number of times I visited the local shows by makers of "fine furniture" and observed the exhibitor's car park was largely filled with vehicles that were older and more moth eaten than my own modest car.There are decisions to make:working for oneself or an employer and what to actually make if working for oneself.In the latter case there will be a good deal of time to allocate to generating orders and then getting paid for them and inevitably this reduces the time for actually making stuff.

HI Pete,
I've also worked in IT for the last 30 ish years. I got into woodworking about 7-8 years ago to get away from the desk and push myself to learn new (non-IT) skills.
Just before covid, and during it, I spent a heap of time making my home office furniture, easily the biggest build I've ever done. It took me quite a while to complete it, but by the end it became less enjoyable. More of a job to finish, than a hobby project. Now don't get me wrong, I got a huge level of satisfaction from completing it and seeing the finished result, but the latter part of making it became rather dull.
I wonder whether, after a while, whatever we do as a job change would make it just a job? I much prefer going back to making the smaller things that I can pick up / put down, that have no time demand on them.

I would first ask why is the work no longer rewarding.. is it the IT work or is it things in your current workplace which mean it isn't rewarding? If you're in a big corporate environment, then work can definitely be stifling with all the politics, budgets, red tape etc. etc.

have a think also about , pensions etc - i left a corporate world at 49 and my pension was frozen. The pension I then took out, by comparison is worth pennies. i then struggled with various contracts, self employed and permanent roles over the following years, with a lot of unemployment. Result now i'm retired , is nowhere near as good , as if i stayed for the 11 years ........
I did not go into woodworking, and not a huge career change, just got very feed-up with global corporate politics, and stress every day of chasing quarterly results. i took a good voluntary redundancy - which kept the lights on.

I started out as an Engineer , and then moved into business management and consultancy

The self employed bit , was helping people with home computers - some repairs, setting up new laptops , ipads etc for the over 60's also some web design in the early 2000's. - But it was not regular and a lot of advertising, and marketing needed.

Also if self employed, consider the book keeping you will need to do , marketing , building a reputation and businesss - Not sure how old you are and so what stage of life - this change is

I know people who have made a career change and worked out ok, but had a few years really bad financially - almost lost their home , but now the business is on the up and looking very good, but he sees no way to retire at the moment , and is hoping to sell the business on.

Thanks for all the responses guys,

It definitely would need to be part time just with having a child and a lovely mortgage to pay haha,

The change was kind of prompted due to not enjoying the IT career as much as mentioned, which yeah for the most part is probably due to a lot of company politics, people with micromanagement styles which gets a little frustrating to deal with. But also the fact that, for the most part it's just fixing issues in IT and there isn't anything tangible to look at and say, I did that that. It's usually something is down, you stress and work out why, fix it, it comes back up and everything is back to normal.

Also, my partners father is a tradesman working as a painter decorator and I've never seen someone so passionate and take so much pride in his work, and he genuinely enjoys it and has made a very good living off it, but as someone has said I'd imagine with most things in life, when you do it as a job and it's no longer a "I want to do this" and more "I HAVE to do this", it probably does lose its luster.

But I would need to continue working, just debating it on the side and see if it's possible to build into something down the line.

just debating it on the side and see if it's possible to build into something down the line.
Nothing to lose doing it on the side,
Also will give you a chance to see what it is you like doing - woodworking is a big field
what have you done ?

With the cost of materials at the moment a lot of people are thinking twice about having woodwork done - a couple of my friends have put off jobs as the cost of the material for some custom furniture was ridiculous.

I know a lot of people who started that way , and a few who still only do it on the side and so its NOT a job, they can be very choosy about what they do and dont do.. Dont have the worry of paying the bills , or time pressure to get things done.

now retired , I do a lot of DIY and help people out with that, I also do a lot of excel for people and also help out on forums

I'm in exactly your boat Pete, with the same doubts/fears of turning an enjoyable, escapist hobby into work. I also doubt that my woodwork skills would be good enough for clients, let alone compete with existing tradies. So, I've pretty much resigned (pun intended) myself to keeping it as a hobby, improving n acquiring skills/tools until I can retire.

We have just moved house needing substantial renovation. A couple of decades ago I could have done the work - now the mind is willing but the body weaker, and we mainly used builders.

What is clear is that they work at a pace I could never have accomplished, and have the benefit of knowledge (materials, techniques, solutions etc) gained over 20+ years of work.

You will be competing for business with those who have 10, 20, 30 years knowledge and experience - unless you have a real USP you will probably struggle to make a living (sorry for being so negative) for some years.

One option I considered before taking early retirement/redundancy was going down to 3 or 4 days a week. In my case this was a plausible option as kids had both finished university, had reasonable jobs, and were very much less a financial drain. I was also by then mortgage free.

Doing this would mean (a) you keep skills and job marketability current should it not work out, (b) you retain a large part of your current income, (c) you can develop your woodworking skills and understand whether it is something that would work longer term.

As ever - we all enjoy different circumstances and aspirations - this would simply be what I might have done in your position.

It's been recommended on here before, and although a few years old the process is still worth going through

Something to consider is the part time route. You will then have a base income to fall back on if it doesn't work out, and if you do find it is working out for you you can then go full time.

One of the problems I forsee though is having to have somewhere to work. If you have a workshop that is fine but neighbours might not be happy with the noise if it were everyday.

As others have said the main trouble is unless you manage to get commission pieces you will be making loads of the same thing as fast as possible and that I would imagine becomes boring.

Think about what you might make and the returns. For example I made my solid oak bedframe. It was in the same style as one I saw that was £1600 and cost me about £250 in wood but I also needed a few tools such as my planer/thicknesser, router, chisels and belt sander. Still much cheaper than buying the finished frame though. If you could sell them for £1000 (you won't have a name for a while so can't command high prices as branded ones) then you would be looking at about £750 per frame. You'd have to make (and sell) 50 of them to make £37,500. So you'd have to make at least 1 a week, which is do-able but might get a bit tedious. Of course you can make other things but as an example it might give you an idea of scale.

That doesn't include tools and replacements etc and assumes you can get a source of timber at a reasonable price. You would also need to store any that aren't sold and account for shipping issues/damage/returns.

That said you will probably find a big market in being a handyman as from what people say they are hard to come by. Seems most people these days can't even put up a shelf. I'm sure I've read there are people who just put together ikea furniture for people! You just need an allen key and the ability to decypher hieroglyphics

Everything depends upon your financial circumstances and your outlook on life. If you are financially ok then you can take a more interesting job even if it pays less because having a job you enjoy is much better than one you put up with because it pays better. The objective is to make time all yours, then you can do what you want when you want because working till you drop is not a good option. If you can live on what you have then doing woodworking for some income that will be hit and miss would be ok, doing something you enjoy and your own boss plus semi retirement. The thing never to forget is that the endpoint is not moving and we are all heading for our end points and no mater how rich you are, you are not changing this and so time should become more valuable than earningthe last penny if you can afford to do so.

Similar situation of wishing I could spend my days doing something I enjoy vs being at work. Financials are harder to stack up later in life without having a big hit to lifestyle, and the reduced pension contributions having fun a potential big impact on retirement. I’ve focused on getting rid of any debt like mortgage and building the pension pot so that I could move away from the job without the same level of financial risk.

Circumstances will vary, but worth doing some working out.

Have you looked into doing one of the courses at a wood work school for a couple of weeks/month? Would give the experience of working on a project from start to finish in a set time, to an high standard and doing full days.

I always saw my hobby woodworking as a pleasant break from my mind numbing IT career. I retired after 35 years of it, hoorah.

15 years later, if I never cut another piece of wood again for a larger project, it will be too soon!

What my experience is this. Don’t automatically assume that the hobby you enjoy in your time under your control will become a great career often taking up too much time and get out of your control.

PS I still enjoy the woodworking but in small doses :)

hello there, someone with first hand experience of doing exactly what you are considering. Had a fairly comfortable fairly well paid job in events but didn’t love it any more.

So they’re a few observations, most of which I’m sure have been talked about above.

Are you already a master craftsman ? Because if not, you really should have training. I was incredibly lucky to get an apprenticeship through contacts I already had. This is likely not an option for most, as during the second and any further years your employer will have to pay you minimum wage for your age, which obviously for someone of 17 is far lower. They also have to pay you for your time at college.. but training is in my opinion necessary, particularly if you want to make some kind of living from it..
at the college I attended there was also a “full time” class (two days a week, I’m certain at some college this would be one day a week) which older students had to pay to attend.

The pay in this industry is in my opinion very poor, particularly relative to the level of skill required. I’ll qualify this, I work full time for a very high end fine furniture maker and am very lucky to work on interesting projects, but if you want to make fine furniture in the uk at least for the first few years I would say you want to work for someone good to build skills and experience with the equipment. The prices charged to customer may seem very high, but in fact there is a ceiling for high end work, and the sheer amount of hours required (and the risk of masses of excess hours needing to be put into a project unquoted, or dealing with mistakes On a bespoke project) make it difficult to charge more.. I have been absolutely grinding for at least the past three or four years. Working weekends and evenings as a freelancer in events after a full weeks work, doing small “foreign” jobs fitting kitchens and furniture onsite, making things that I don’t particularly enjoy making that I can sell on Etsy etc, delivering pizzas a few nights a week etc.. bear in mind that even if you complete a full apprenticeship you will effectively be a beginner at that point, so several more years before you can garner the top end of local companies advertised pay scales which is usually still not great, so do thorough research here. Depending on what part of the country you are in starting salary after a suitable apprenticeship will be perilously close to minimum wage for a 25 plus year old.

There is more money available for certain jobs, but it is not the land of milk and honey it might seem - for example a common one advertised is fitted furniture or kitchen installer. The real question is - do you actually want to be a fitted furniture installer ? Travel, likely long days onsite probably working alone so can’t imagine great for your body, and definitely really working against very tight deadlines to make the good money advertised.

Most companies making fine furniture are small and none are bigger than small to medium. There are contract furniture houses running off and rattling together cnc carcasses a bit bigger but do you really want that ? There are usually inherent issues with smaller companies, not always but things like culture, promotion prospects, organisation, communication, job security, autonomy etc will likely be very different if you are moving from a bigger employer.

If you do get a job with even a top flight fine furniture maker a lot of the jobs that are a function of the job probably aren’t what you are imagining. Days upon days of sanding, emptying extractor bins, loading and unloading and moving around incredibly heavy materials and furniture, sweeping or hoovering up etc. you might not love the design or the finish choice or blah blah blah on a specific project you are working on, as at work you just have to do what you have to do.

If you intend to immediately work for yourself - do you currently have a full and profitable order book and need to upscale this, if not then you would probably need to spend 100% of your time in the first instance finding profitable work. If aiming at the fine furniture market, there are already lots of brilliant makers and designers out there doing it - what is your usp ? I would suggest for this route at the bare minimum I would want to get it off the ground totally in my spare time in addition to my main job. For example I wouldn’t want the added pressure on a new business of having to find money to buy all the freestanding equipment you need, nor renting a space..

Thinking about the above it’s all quite negative - the obvious positives are it’s incredibly rewarding and engaging, solving problems and deciding how to do something and coming up with jigs etc.

I have my woodworking as a part time, cash only (or chocolate) sort of thing. I still work as an engineer, even though that is getting tedious and stressful at the moment. I have a few small things that I make that I am able to shift to or through colleagues at work, but that is all I am looking at doing at the moment. I may be forced to change, but until then, the woodworking is an escape from work, and it does not really have any deadlines to work to at the moment.
SO I would say, if you have access to a few colleagues, pick a couple of simple things to make, gift them as loss leaders, get a rough idea how much people might pay for something like that, then make a couple of extras and keep them at your desk. If you can shift them, keep going. If you can't, try something else.
Also, remember, what the end user uses the product for is not always what you designed it to be. I have seen several vases I made being used as pen holders. Mobile phone stands being used as sign stands, or business card holders.

Lots of good advice there.

I too worked in IT and early in my career I decided I could make money doing up cars.

Within a few weeks I found a local IT job having realised I didn't have the skills, speed, equipment or wherewithal to make a living from working on cars.

On reflection, I would have needed to start from scratch at college or an apprenticeship. I'd have been 5 years behind others my age (I was 21) and also gone from a very well paid job to earning peanuts. I had got bored with my IT job and thought the grass was greener elsewhere and jumped without thinking it through.

I stayed in IT for the next 40 years. It paid for a comfortable life and early retirement.
Very luckily I enjoyed the vast majority of it.
Boredom, frustration and stress will surface in any long career.

If you are bored or stressed then maybe find something different or more challenging in the IT world.

Consider reducing your hours and spend more time on your hobbies.

You don't state your age but maybe bite the bullet and work towards an early retirement so you can spend your time on things you enjoy.

Or if you have IT skills that are in demand have a go at the woodworking business for a while to see how it goes. If it's not for you then get back into IT.

The most important thing is to think it through carefully. Analyse what you don't like about your current situation and see if you can make some small incremental changes. Have a reality check on the possibility of making a living from something new.

Hi
I changed life career from IT to college lecturing in Management at age 47 having done a strategic management course and then a PGCE teaching course. I changed again age 59 to self employment. Financially this was a huge drop and just before the pandemic but never had any regrets. Hope this helps.

Back