Going to Boston, USA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I remember about Boston most was a second hand book store on one side of the park and the enormous squirrels demanding food, they would literally tug at your legs, but this was a while back, have they finished the tunnel yet. 🤔

Oh and how disappointed I was in "Cheers"

Last edited:
Would highly recommend the drive up to LN from Boston if you have the time. Lovely venue. They used to do a tour of the manufacturing facility but not sure that is still running. Either way they have a show room that you can try their different hand tools in.
You also have the Centre for furniture Craftsmanship just there

https://woodschool.org/
and they will definitely give you a tour and you can look at their gallery.
There is also the Shelter institute just down the road that has an extensive collection of hand tools and books

https://shop.shelterinstitute.com/
Finally if you get to Camden I highly recommend eating here. Some of the best Thai food I’ve had

https://www.longgraincamden.com/
Have a great trip.

Thanks you so much all so driving up to LN is def going to happen following your recommendations. Figured this may be the only opportunity to do this without the wife and kids so what the hell. As my first hand plane I’m probably going to go for a low angle number 5 or whatever LN call it, any other opinions on that?

Thanks you so much all so driving up to LN is def going to happen following your recommendations. Figured this may be the only opportunity to do this without the wife and kids so what the hell. As my first hand plane I’m probably going to go for a low angle number 5 or whatever LN call it, any other opinions on that?
See what they have in stock. It might make sense to get something a little more rare if they have it. My favourite LN is the 51 shooting plane. They are often hard to get hold of. The low angle block plane is also a real joy in the hand if you are looking for a ‘cheap’ option.

Thanks I figured for general purposes a low angle would be best but yeah I’ll do just that

If you are thinking of a low angle jack, then no. It doesn't have a cap iron so not as widely useful as a real jack plane or smoother.
There would seem to be sense in choosing either a plane you will use a lot, or something especially unusual that would be hard to get or justify at UK prices.
Best of all, you get to try them for size. LN handles are smaller. Veritas are larger.
Which brand you prefer may vary with the model of plane.

Just a few miles before LN there is an interesting New England diner MOODEYS DINER. Worth a stop if only for a coffee or lunch. Check out Moodeys Diner on YOUTUBE.

Thanks All, allow me to ask a big question. For general purpose what hand plane do you recommend obviously from the LN range

Thanks All, allow me to ask a big question. For general purpose what hand plane do you recommend obviously from the LN range
My choices would be:
5 ½ if you can only have one plane. 4 if you want a smoother. 60 ½ block plane.

As mentioned before these can be had pretty much anywhere so you might want to pick up something hard to find in the U.K.

I really liked the low angle LN number 62 esp with the toothed blade that can take a decent amount of material off. Kinda feel going against the grain (no pun intended) with not going with the standard number 5 any thoughts?

Ps, the LN instructor seems to recommend the the low angel also

Back