Feeling old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain, where I live they are great at stone walling and traditional slate roofing but electrics and plumbing they are historic and the builders tend to deliver a bad job very very slowly.
You need to pick a better builder. Mine has been great over the last six years and I still get a freezer full of game each year gratis. He lives and works in Cum(bria)erland.

It's great to read of members in their late 70's and 80's getting out there and doing what needs doing. Approaching 72 myself in March...

For a number of years I've "felt" old although the brain acts like 18+... more fatigued and finding it difficult to motivate myself *during* winter months especially with the grey wet days and - especially - with the cold. Winters are usually hard/bad for me with the lack of heat and dry days. Late spring and Summer days - no issues. Sometimes thought maybe I suffer with SADS but trying the additional lights hasn't worked. As my Father died of a heart attack when he was 68 I feel I'm doing okay - aches and pains but mind still thinks I'm 18 ~ 21 still and I spend more time doing a job in mental planning/visualisation stages than I ever did at 18~21.

Really don't want to whinge about "ailments" but old age doesn't come by itself, not for many... and slowly bites you in the rear. "Acquired" over the years: Gilberts Syndrome, Hiatus Hernia, high blood pressure, PTSD and depression etc., (after my fathers death + made redundant one month later summer '92). Most held in check by pills.

Middle of last year, thanks to blood pressure checks I *finally* got to actually see my doctor. Further checks came up with me being Pre-diabetic, some sort of anaemia - possible Celiac disease... and, slightly, underactive thyroid. Oh! and an MRI scan for prostate issues - which, thankfully, proved negative BUT to have annual BP checks. Extra prescription pills for the thyroid and prostate. Trying to work on the pre-diabetic thing but will find out how that, and the thyroid, is progressing in a couple of weeks time - with another blood test!

Jobs... work... being retired since Jan 2017 I had "Plans". Things slowed down some for late 2022 as a new grandfather, many of the plans are on hold time wise to fit in with "child care" days two days of the week... Lovely as it is to spend time with a (now) 15 month old he's approaching the *terrible twos* and my patience is sometimes pressed quite thin - saving grace is he gets handed back to his parents. *Feeling Old* after and needing to rest...

Forthcoming "jobs" for this year - thanks to last years high temperatures and this winters frosts and rains (when will the rain stop?) I've a utility room roof to replace: 26ft x 5ft 9" - and a part of the workshop roof: 12ft x 8ft. Old felt and OSB sheets to remove, check what's under; replace timbers (?) and then re-sheet with ply (this time) and some other water proofing cover - maybe even something like Onduline etc. Not looking forward to it at all. I *could* try to find a (trustworthy) builder (?!) able/willing to fit me in to their busy workload but the £££'s aren't there. Ply sheeting looks to be around £350+ (if I buy) alone so with other materials and labour? *Feeling* old but I'm not wanting to give in to it. May try and give the C25K a go...
Sorry but there is no such thing as 'pssobly coeliac'. Either you are or you aren't and there is a test.

Sorry but there is no such thing as 'pssobly coeliac'. Either you are or you aren't and there is a test.
If the doctor says I am - now was - possibly with celiac "from the blood tests *results* obtained" then that was what I was informed at that time. I'm now taking medication for an under active thyroid and still waiting for further checks/procedures to try to find out why I have a low iron count.

Don't know how easy it is in your area to get a blood test done, blood pressure check or see your doctor but in my area its *at least* 2 weeks and onward.

If the doctor says I am - now was - possibly with celiac "from the blood tests *results* obtained" then that was what I was informed at that time. I'm now taking medication for an under active thyroid and still waiting for further checks/procedures to try to find out why I have a low iron count.

Don't know how easy it is in your area to get a blood test done, blood pressure check or see your doctor but in my area its *at least* 2 weeks and onward.
I also have a hypo thyroid and take desiccated pork thyroid as a replacement. Agrees with me better than the levitroxin (sp) did. Less heart fibrillation on the piggy. Only downside is the prescription costs more than the artificial stuff. My wife’s extended medical covers it so it doesn’t matter to our wallets. If prescriptions are covered for you talk to your doctor about it.

I want to live a long life as a burden on society. ;) That’ll teach them.:ROFLMAO:

Pete

I also have a hypo thyroid and take desiccated pork thyroid as a replacement. Agrees with me better than the levitroxin (sp) did. Less heart fibrillation on the piggy. Only downside is the prescription costs more than the artificial stuff. My wife’s extended medical covers it so it doesn’t matter to our wallets. If prescriptions are covered for you talk to your doctor about it.

I want to live a long life as a burden on society. ;) That’ll teach them.:ROFLMAO:

Pete
The doc did prescribe Levothyroxine (got the box at the side of me 😉) 50 micrograms, 1 in the morning 30mins/1hr before food. Slightly annoyed as it was me that had to tell my doc that symptoms I've had related more to thyroid than celiac. "Oh yes! Your thyroid is slightly under active!" says he afterwards. Had loads of bloods done and he didn't pick it up in the results he got back.

My age now covers me for prescriptions, has done for 12 years. BP pills strength lowered from 100 to 50 and now 25mg. Waiting time for appointment for another check... 14+ days - even with using my own BP machine. The BP nurse needs to see me to enter on my records. Same time range for blood test for my PSA count etc., checks on the prostate.

I also want to live a long life. Not sure about as a burden on society but if that's a part of it Bring It On 😎🤣

At the begining life and learning starts afresh.
They have a blank memory card.
You think you influence them with your good parenting.
But in reality they are shipped to the minder any time after 8 weeks, then junior, higher education then college then university.
Teachings out of your control.
At 26 years old this once blank hard drive is now corrupted with thousands of virus, picked up from institutions, groups outside persuasion.
Everything that already exists is as it has always always been for them.
Yet he we all are.
Old, wrinkling balding. Meeting to discuss with full memory cards unable to delet files or add any new information.
Writing lines that may be answered by AI that we can't accept as reality for there is no more processing power left to decide things and change our views.
We have no power left in our battery to argue with the upgraded chips we produced.
So we shake our heads in dismay unable to fathom the disruptive directon we are going in. Unable to solve it.
Unable to understand the logic of the new decision makers.
Unable to argue the point.

So we meet here trying in vain to win a point here and there, as the country moves on run by fresh half full memory cards oblivious to our data of how things should be to make everything function properly.

Old, wrinkling balding. Meeting to discuss with full memory cards unable to delet files or add any new information.
You should never stop learning or trying to keep abreast of relevant technology and don't overlook the one thing that comes with age and that is experience, the been there, done it and it don't work synario which everyone seems to have to experience before believing.

You should never stop learning or trying to keep abreast of relevant technology and don't overlook the one thing that comes with age and that is experience, the been there, done it and it don't work synario which everyone seems to have to experience before believing.

I
But, but,
I can't remember the experience to us it........????

I'm fortunate. The nineteen pills I take every day don't have any adverse affects.:)
Thats what I said yesterday when I was stopped with 12 bottles of vodka in my trolly on Tesco car park pushing it towards my car oblivious I hadn't paid for them.....infact, I denied even putting them in my trolly in the first place.
I even took my car to the dealership because I couldn't hear the engine.
A nice man explained it was all electric.
Oh yes I remember...so why can I hear the washing machine going and my wife hoovering?
They are all electric too you know.
He looked flummoxed.

Last edited:
I'm fortunate. The nineteen pills I take every day don't have any adverse affects.:)
Except making you rattle a bit!
At the begining life and learning starts afresh.
They have a blank memory card.
You think you influence them with your good parenting.
But in reality they are shipped to the minder any time after 8 weeks, then junior, higher education then college then university.
Teachings out of your control.
At 26 years old this once blank hard drive is now corrupted with thousands of virus, picked up from institutions, groups outside persuasion.
Everything that already exists is as it has always always been for them.
Yet he we all are.
Writing lines that may be answered by AI that we can't accept as reality for there is no more processing power left to decide things and change our views.
We have no power left in our battery to argue with the upgraded chips we produced.
So we shake our heads in dismay unable to fathom the disruptive directon we are going in. Unable to solve it.
Unable to understand the logic of the new decision makers.
Unable to argue the point.

So we meet here trying in vain to win a point here and there, as the country moves on run by fresh half full memory cards oblivious to our data of how things should be to make everything function properly.
This made me stop and think, and I've decided to call bulls**t ;) .

Education and social interaction do leave a mark, which is the point, and as I found out during Covid I have not the desire, will, nor patience to home school, and teachers are under paid! However as parents the best thing we can do is teach our children to think critically, understand where information comes from, that nothing they read is the whole story, and how to do their own research and thinking. They also have lessons on this in school, so education is not trying to create sheeple.

So long as you have most of your mental faculties you can learn and grow at any age, my uncle who recently died at 86 taught himself programming in his latter years, and there was a chap on here taking up woodworking at 85, kudos to them both!

The old have struggled with the young since Plato's time, and I'm sure shook their head in dismay. Change is inevitable because it's all about the journey not the destination, who knows what's around the next curve.

When I came back from university I was amazed how much my parents had learnt.

Apologies to Mark Twain.

The old have struggled with the young since Plato's time, and I'm
No they haven't.
The proof is here and look where learning new skills gets you when your old!
Screenshot_20230510_123618_BBC News.jpg

Joking apart
Theres so much information about, its believing any of the sources about anything.
How do unbiased sources ever exist today?
Seems everyone has an agenda, and everyone is right.
Maybe Im wrong but to me it sure feels that way.

Joking apart
Theres so much information about, its believing any of the sources about anything.
How do unbiased sources ever exist today?
Seems everyone has an agenda, and everyone is right.
Maybe Im wrong but to me it sure feels that way.
"Science" aims to be unbiased and subjects everything to scepticism, proof, repeatable experiment, data, observation etc.

Last edited:
Unfortunately bias in Science is fairly common due to interrelated interests of the health industry, the medical world, science journals and researchers.
But I suppose it depends on the area of science people are working on.

Unfortunately bias in Science is fairly common due to interrelated interests of the health industry, the medical world, science journals and researchers.
Very marginal in terms of the body of scientific knowledge but yes, misrepresented and/or ignored by vested interests. Tobacco, asbestos, climate change etc. But not "the science" at fault.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back