Feeling old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Physically I'm 69 but mentally still early 20s. That gets interesting at times.
Today I have 6 meter³ of firewood being delivered and have to move and stack it in the woodshed. I can still do that without too many breaks to recover 🌝
what did you pay for that ? i take it is hardwood?

I'm in France, so prices won't relate to the UK.
I paid 78€/cubic metre (a stere), cut to 50cm and split, although some logs had to be split a bit more with my 7 tonne log splitter. It's 2 year old oak, so not quite perfect for wood burners, but anything older is really hard to find and we don't have the space to keep it that long.
When we first came here 6 years ago wood was 65€ so not such a big increase.

There is absolutely nothing bad or negative about being old, it is the associated feelings, aches etc that come with that number that cause the issues.

Back in november i got covid, felt awful for a week & took a fair while to recover, tested negative after 10 days but that was the day a mate of mine was to deliver 2 1/2 tons of teak floorboards to my shed, I couldnt put it off so the two of us unloaded it outside & then i stacked the lot inside. To say i was bushed at the end of it is an understatement. I ached for a week afterwards & my left shoulder has only just recovered, Must be gettin old.
I am reminded of a Tshirt a lad at school had who joined the army, "Pain is but weakness leaving the body" !

I paid 78€/cubic metre (a stere), cut to 50cm and split, although some logs had to be split a bit more with my 7 tonne log splitter. It's 2 year old oak, so not quite perfect for wood burners, but anything older is really hard to find and we don't have the space to keep it that long.
Crikey, they certainly don't relate! Current price here is £275 cubic metre! I can't bring myself to pay that.

Crikey ..!!
We had a delivery just before Christmas. 55€ per M3 delivered, all oak.

Blimey. I'll not moan about paying £85 for something over 1/2m3 of really dry birch. But won't need any this year, as there are the remains of 5 big firs scattered around various shelters awaiting cutting and splitting.
Used to say I had the lifestyle of someone in their 50s, apart from the 7 in front of each birthday. Darolutamide to treat prostate cancer changes that completeely!! More like the lifestyle of a nonagenarian now!

Crikey, they certainly don't relate! Current price here is £275 cubic metre! I can't bring myself to pay that.
I have heard of folk paying £200 a m³ up here (scotland) so not suprised at 275 in london, shocking prices.

we had a big storm last year 'Arwin' there was trees down everywhere, everytime I was away in the van I was bringing stuff home, ended up without 11m³, wouldn't like to of had to pay for it at todays rip off prices. could have got more but no where to store it. Total mixture of good and bad, Sycamore, Oak Beech cherry hornbeam lime, be interesting to see how it all burns, probably only use a couple m³ a year.

We use about 1/2 m3 per week for a 25Kw fire with a back boiler that feeds 8 radiators from an 800 litre tank and when it really warms up bleeds off a pumped feed to the solar powered water system.
That's running the fire from about 9am to about 6pm at "tickover" and then ramping it up until about 9pm when it dies out naturally to a very low simmer.
We live in a 300 year old stone cottage that retains heat quite well, and has double glazing all round.

Just seen this thread.
No doubt someone has said earlier & more eloquently " my joints these days feel at least twice the number that's on my birth certificate"

Years ago I used to lift weights - not competitive or weird stuff, just 3 basic compound lifts: bench press, squat and the dead lift. I so wish I'd discovered it earlier, as it didn't half cure twinges and aches with the back. The kind that gave you a costly chiropractor addiction in the years prior.

Then life got in the way and I didn't do anything remotely exercise related for the last 10 years.

My lad wanted to do weights and has got me back into it - quite surprised that 6 weeks later, I'm not lifting weights as low as I thought I would.

Plan is to keep going till I hit my targets, lose a bit of the tum and then keep lifting at the targets. The better condition the muscular-skeletal system is in, the better the odds as I get older.

I'm only 57 but with so many knackered joints done through over work in factory's and health and safety not being adhered too I get up in the morning and can hardly put my trousers on, feel absolutely wrecked sometimes, I still chop wood and ride heavy motorcycles and do a days work but it just gets more painful. Mind wise I still can do what I did 20 years ago, trouble is I feel it for a week after now.

I'm 98 and still walk 5 miles each day. On a Sunday I cycle 15 miles to my daughters for lunch and then cycle home again. Every month I try to go swimming at least once a fortnight and generally clock up 50 lengths. When I'm not gardening I also help my son in his landscaping business. However, friends and family keep telling me my memory is not so good and imagine things........... I'm not sure they are telling me the truth ;)

Physically I'm 69 but mentally still early 20s. That gets interesting at times.
Today I have 6 meter³ of firewood being delivered and have to move and stack it in the woodshed. I can still do that without too many breaks to recover 🌝
I know the feeling, recently I took delivery of 70 lengths of 3.6 m decking and umpteen 8 ft fence posts

That took it out of me ….. and then I had to build the deck 🤦‍♂️

luckily I had some help with that

I am also 69 but sometimes I feel older

I'm only 57 but with so many knackered joints done through over work in factory's and health and safety not being adhered too I get up in the morning and can hardly put my trousers on, feel absolutely wrecked sometimes, I still chop wood and ride heavy motorcycles and do a days work but it just gets more painful. Mind wise I still can do what I did 20 years ago, trouble is I feel it for a week after now.
Doesn't take much muscle to open a throttle.:LOL:

Doesn't take much muscle to open a throttle.:LOL:
Riding for 30 minutes or more, stopping at traffic lights and realising that your hips are locked and you can't get your feet on the ground ..... it was with heavy heart that I gave up my motorbikes ☹️

Riding for 30 minutes or more, stopping at traffic lights and realising that your hips are locked and you can't get your feet on the ground ..... it was with heavy heart that I gave up my motorbikes ☹️
Mobility is critical and affects everything else. This is why c25k is good - it improves everything, your health and everything else you do.
Hardest bit is starting mainly because it can feel so unfamiliar:
5 min brisk walk to warm up
Run 1 min Walk 90 sec.
Repeat 8 times, or fewer if you can't manage it!

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/running-and-aerobic-exercises/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/

It was the prospect of not being able to get my feet on the ground that made me give up mine.:(

Back