Feeling old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Age is just a number, so I'm told.

However, I've started to think 64 is quite a big number. Lucky to have only minor ailments but feels like time is running out and is there time to start new projects like buying a classic car.

Really cut back on alcohol since coming back from holiday a few weeks ago. Empty calories feeding the fat belly.

Average 10,000 steps per day by walking the dog.

Wife is an ex-rehab assistant and she tells me to keep my legs going and to do some flexibility exercises. Definitely can't turn and look over my shoulder in the car these days. Also find enough to keep my mind active.

As an aside my 86 year old Mum recently completed Lara Croft Tomb Raider on her PS4. Grandson helped with a couple of tricky bits but did vast majority by herself.

Still need to enjoy luxury holidays, eating and drinking and the odd day doing very little.
What's the point in living like a monk in the hope you live an extra year or two.
Just don't want to end up being a burden on the family.

Very true, something I reached a decision on some time back.
I'm registered at our local surgery but fortunately have never had to go there except for occasional bits of self inflicted silliness that required plastering or suturing.
That changed at age 70 when my doctor phoned asking to see me. That provided a bit of fun - you're asking for an appointment? Let me check, I have a vacancy next thursday, 10.15am. I charge $20 per consult..
This was the first of regular six monthly appointments, little tete a tete's during which he would take my BP, draw a little blood and stick his finger up my bum.
I was now part of the aged care network which is apparently based on the premise that 'You're 70, there must be something wrong with you but don't worry, we'll find what it is eventually..'
This didn't sit well and led to a little research. The average life expectancy of a NZ European male was 79 years. On the other hand both my parents and my brother all died at age 72 so I averaged out my éxpected longevity and settled on 75.
At age 75 I stopped surgery visits, declined all further testing and had a DNR added to my file.
There are two reasons for this, the first being economic. Like every other health system in the world ours is also cash strapped and I don't consider it logical to expend precious medical resources in an effort to extend the lives of people who have reached their 'use by' date when the queues are miles long for younger people awaiting some procedure or other that will improve their lives for years to come.
Secondly, adding to one's years does not imply quality of life. Why artificially prolong life just so you can end up as a demented old fart in a resthome where if you're lucky one of the staff might occasionally amble over with a tissue and wipe your nose and your bum for you, hopefully in that order.
Just my opinion. I don't have a death wish, just a desire to live my live and ultimately leave it as naturally as I can.

Morbid stuff but to end on a more positive note, I started this post because I was shocked at how starting a relatively big renovation on my home was knocking the stuffing out of me. So another week of 8 hour work days has gone by and I've forgotten about the aches and pains because they've largely dissipated, I'm not getting up in the morning feeling like death warmed up and I have enthusiasm for the job. Whoever coined the phrase 'use it or lose it' spoke the truth.

Age is just a number, so I'm told.

However, I've started to think 64 is quite a big number. Lucky to have only minor ailments but feels like time is running out and is there time to start new projects like buying a classic car.

Really cut back on alcohol since coming back from holiday a few weeks ago. Empty calories feeding the fat belly.

Average 10,000 steps per day by walking the dog.

Wife is an ex-rehab assistant and she tells me to keep my legs going and to do some flexibility exercises. Definitely can't turn and look over my shoulder in the car these days. Also find enough to keep my mind active.

As an aside my 86 year old Mum recently completed Lara Croft Tomb Raider on her PS4. Grandson helped with a couple of tricky bits but did vast majority by herself.

Still need to enjoy luxury holidays, eating and drinking and the odd day doing very little.
What's the point in living like a monk in the hope you live an extra year or two.
I would go for the classic car , keeping the brain active sumounting problems , making new friends in the same boat and a goal to atain when finished plus the show and tell factor . Thats me anyway

I would go for the classic car , keeping the brain active sumounting problems , making new friends in the same boat and a goal to atain when finished plus the show and tell factor . Thats me anyway
I'll make sure the wife has the contact details for Car SOS in the hope they finish it off for me.

I don't feel 64. It just seems like a high number!
I count myself very lucky to have my health and a comfortable lifestyle.
I’m 67 and woke up last week thinking I could be dead anytime soon but feel too fit and healthy for that. Apart from a knackered left knee with no cartilage(probably from 30 yrs of kicking people to death at Karate) I feel great. Certainly not going without a fight.

Kittyhawk
not sure if u can say this here.....
told my wife to find somebody else after I'm gone.....she's 20 years younger than me...
and when it's time to go I want it to be on the tools or the job....hahaha.....

Kittyhawk
told my wife to find somebody else after I'm gone.....she's 20 years younger than me...
Right attitude!
Wife and I both think a day without a darned good belly laugh is a day wasted.
The child bride is 6 years younger than me and I told her the same as you to yours. If she should find a replacement he's even allowed to use my tools but not my new block plane. No one other than me is permitted to touch that one.

I'm stuck at 79kg seems OK
Just getting back to cycling after long stretch of arthritis followed by hip replacement.
Did LEJOG for my 60th birthday and aiming to do it again before I'm 80. Gotta get some miles in first!
Well done I hope to do it again but slower 14 days rather than 8 days, perhaps when I'm 60!

Kittyhawk
I'll Pm you my number!😉😉

Well done I hope to do it again but slower 14 days rather than 8 days, perhaps when I'm 60!
I did it in 14 but with full camping gear and picturesque route via Arran, Oban, Mallaig, Skye and back to mainland at Kyle. Avoids Glasgow and a lot of main roads. About 75 miles a day.
Hoping to do it again, but slower with more sight seeing.
Cycling good for oldies - gets heart and lungs going but gentle on the joints.

I did it in 14 but with full camping gear and picturesque route via Arran, Oban, Mallaig, Skye and back to mainland at Kyle. Avoids Glasgow and a lot of main roads. About 75 miles a day.
Hoping to do it again, but slower with more sight seeing.
Cycling good for oldies - gets heart and lungs going but gentle on the joints.
Hats off to you sir.
When wife and I did our biannual cycle/camping tours through Europe a few years back we thought we were pretty good cranking out an average 50-55 miles a day.

I'm younger than most here, but turning 40 this year made me think about the future. A good stretching session before any hard physical work now makes all the difference between me being sore afterwards and recovering overnight or my knees feeling it for a number of days. Hopefully taking more care at this age will provide benefits when I am older

Sean

I'm 67 and am starting feeling my age , Lower Back problems , Arthritis in my wrists and elbows , Close focus eyesight gone , Diabetes type 2 . The list goes on . :confused:
I’m 72 but otherwise very similar. They, whoever they may be, say that we have to accomplish/complete a certain number of projects before we clock off. I’ m so far behind perhaps I’ll be immortal…..

c25k is good. I did it a year ago getting fit for impending hip op. I'd never run previously in my life, except to get to pubs before closing time etc.
It felt very strange for a day or so but then became normal and you realise that there are hundreds of old people staggering around on the same mission and enjoying themselves!
Not supposed to do it now after the hip op but it's probably OK if avoiding fell running and extremes!

https://www.c25k.com/

I was in hospital recently for a minor pop (hernia repair). I was by far the least "fecked" of the men in my 6 berth ward ..... but none of them was more than 5 years older than me (I'm 56).

It made me realise that I'm not getting any younger. Happily, I'm fit and healthy, but I really need to start taking more care of myself to make sure it stays that way for as long as possible. I've been doing a bit of running recently, and have also lost some weight. Couple of things I've noticed - first, I need to work harder on flexibility and strength than I ever did in the past, and second, I need to completely recalibrate my perception of what is a "reasonable" quantity of food!!

But the one thing I've found is that I don't have the mental "drive" I once had. I've worked hard all my life, founded 2 successful businesses, and always been driven ..... but recently I just cant be bothered with the long hours, the confrontation, the people management, and the constant struggle. I need an easier pace, more time for reflection, and napping!!

We've recently moved to the west highlands of Scotland, to a very remote rural location, and I'm loving it.

Time to retire I feel!!

..... I need to completely recalibrate my perception of what is a "reasonable" quantity of food!!
No sugar or sugary foods, then try the 50% diet as rule of thumb; eat/drink as per normal but half the quantity. Top up with more water.
Then once in control relax a bit and eating less eventually becomes normal. Things like fish n chips or pub meal helpings suddenly seem huge so you ask for one between two of you (with apologies for being on a diet!). Also halves the cost so you can lash out and eat better quality stuff. Win win win; lose weight, spend less, eat better!

Back