Late in life career shift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utterly blinding responses here,

Really appreciate everyone's input on this and own experiences with doing this or working in the wood working field. I was just curious as to what would be involved, but I think I will continue to just do it as a hobby with the plans to maybe try and sell bits here and there if I feel it's nice enough and see how I do, I'm on the same front as Craig said earlier, I'm not sure my skills would be up to par, it's just the joy of doing something at the minute which had me considering this.

That stepping back and looking at something I've done and thinking, yes, I did that. Also to elaborate on this and for all the other people who have worked in the IT industry will understand, the job frustrations are more when you work up to being roles such as operations, you tend to sit fairly close with higher ups in the company.

Case in point, I once worked for a Software company where my team was literally at the door of one of the CIS guys, who had little understanding of the monitoring boards but hated seeing "red" on it, even if it was something none critical he would charge out his office the second he noticed something was down and demanded we sort it, regardless if we were working on something critical, which would need to be dropped to focus on bringing up something which might not even be used haha, the notion of not working for people like that is the appeal here.

Perhaps finding a smaller company to work for where you have more control - if you have to literally manage the network yourself, play with switches and routers, manage vendors etc. it's definitely more fun!

Another option is perhaps trying to find 2 part time roles as IT Manager for small(er) charities or something like that - again, much more autonomy and less pressure

Utterly blinding responses here,

Really appreciate everyone's input on this and own experiences with doing this or working in the wood working field. I was just curious as to what would be involved, but I think I will continue to just do it as a hobby with the plans to maybe try and sell bits here and there if I feel it's nice enough and see how I do, I'm on the same front as Craig said earlier, I'm not sure my skills would be up to par, it's just the joy of doing something at the minute which had me considering this.

That stepping back and looking at something I've done and thinking, yes, I did that. Also to elaborate on this and for all the other people who have worked in the IT industry will understand, the job frustrations are more when you work up to being roles such as operations, you tend to sit fairly close with higher ups in the company.

Case in point, I once worked for a Software company where my team was literally at the door of one of the CIS guys, who had little understanding of the monitoring boards but hated seeing "red" on it, even if it was something none critical he would charge out his office the second he noticed something was down and demanded we sort it, regardless if we were working on something critical, which would need to be dropped to focus on bringing up something which might not even be used haha, the notion of not working for people like that is the appeal here.
Many of the things you highlight are part of an operating business, as an engineering manager in an operations focussed business lots of them resonate. Working out how to get job satisfaction in your current job/company is I think a good approach rather than jumping ship, the devil you know than the devil you don't.

After 25yrs I'm comfortable with what i know and don't know, I've a strong support base in the organisation at many levels, and have recently got comfortable with the thought that I'm not very interested in moving much higher up. These factors are quite liberating as I can focus on the areas of the job I enjoy (developing people, and helping solve the occasional engineering problem), ignore much of the politics, and call out poor behaviour from managers/leaders, many of whom have nosebleeds and altitude sickness from climbing the ladder too fast and are now being found out!

I also realised through woodworking I likely did the wrong engineering degree, as I like making things I can touch. I'm a chemical engineer (so I 'own' the fluids in the pipe), and I should have been a mechanical engineer so that I was involved in building bits of equipment, and getting dirty on occasion as they are taken apart.

and call out poor behaviour from managers/leaders, many of whom have nosebleeds and altitude sickness from climbing the ladder too fast and are now being found out!

Thoroughly enjoyed that pun!

Also, don't want to come across like I'm bashing working in IT, I'm probably just having an Office Space moment :ROFLMAO:

I guess everybody gets fed up with their employment and looks for a change at some time. Worth remembering though that in financial terms your job is your biggest asset.
I spent my working life in shipping, either at sea or as a port captain ashore. I loved all aspects of my work and I used to remark sometimes to the child bride 'I can't believe they actually pay me to do this stuff..' But at age 60 I was completely over it and walked out. I guess other respondents on this post can identify with that. Retirement was a bit of a drag so retrained as an ambo. Liked that work too, especially the night shift when all the loonies come out to play. But it was heavy work for an old man so gave it up at 70. Then started the aircraftery and the model aeroplane business which I should state is now just a hobby that pays for itself with a bit left over.
And concerning making hobbies into businesses, I went that route with the aeroplanes and it didn't work. Everybody likes Spitfires and I could sell them easily so I set up for production runs and after a few weeks I was bored to tears with it and closed the aircraftery down. Then people started phoning me up asking for specific aircraft and that saved me. Now I never know what the next build will be. I'm 78 now and still building aeroplanes as and when I like to because its reverted to a hobby again. I love it and it keeps me off the streets.
Sorry, a bit of a ramble but that's my experience of the issues raised.

We have just moved house needing substantial renovation. A couple of decades ago I could have done the work - now the mind is willing but the body weaker, and we mainly used builders.

What is clear is that they work at a pace I could never have accomplished, and have the benefit of knowledge (materials, techniques, solutions etc) gained over 20+ years of work.

You will be competing for business with those who have 10, 20, 30 years knowledge and experience - unless you have a real USP you will probably struggle to make a living (sorry for being so negative) for some years.

One option I considered before taking early retirement/redundancy was going down to 3 or 4 days a week. In my case this was a plausible option as kids had both finished university, had reasonable jobs, and were very much less a financial drain. I was also by then mortgage free.

Doing this would mean (a) you keep skills and job marketability current should it not work out, (b) you retain a large part of your current income, (c) you can develop your woodworking skills and understand whether it is something that would work longer term.

As ever - we all enjoy different circumstances and aspirations - this would simply be what I might have done in your position.
That's the same situation I'm about to be in from October - 3 days a week teaching and the other days to do what I want to develop woodworking business side

I echo @Fitzroy's sentiments. You have to identify what is really unsettling you. I have spent 47 years in the same company spending the first 30 quite happy working with my hands installing equipment from electro mechanical hrough to pseudo electronic reed relay switching and then processor driven switches. During that time I still had the occasional wobble and looking back it was always down to company politics or the odd manager who wasn't quite fit for the purpose intended. I was made redundant internally and went onto be a planner which was boring until I taught myself VBA and got that in Excel to do the work for me and guess what they stole my idea and made me redundant again and I went working outside which was a culture shock but learned to enjoy it and not rebel and then got picked to work on fibre delivery and ended up with the best job in my career hence still being here after 47 years albeit part time now. I ahve done enough woodworking tasks to know personally I would never make money because I am too pernickity and not experienced enough. So the day job fund those tasks so I do enjoy it. Just make sure your not just having a wobble...

I'm 45 and still don't know what I'm good at!!🤣🤣

Studied engineering at high Wycombe college - what a plonker!!

Back