Uk Ply Sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walt.wales

Reaction score
hi,
i'm sure this isnt a new question to be asked here, but if anyone can point me in the direction of an answer i'd appreciate it :)
i need to make 20 shutter panels using 25.5mm x 70mm timber. i'm about to order the only router cutter i've found in the UK that cuts 25mm stock, from Trend.
Question: why is it that the grooving created by all UK cutters are 6.3mm when UK Ply sizing is 5.5mm? [all timber merchants here in west wales refer to 5.5mm as 1/4" Ply ??]. Am i missing something obvious here please? as a 6.3mm groove with a 5.5 board is going to be more than a tad 'sloppy' joint.
Any ideas?
cheers, waltinwales

Are you able to get a small piece of ply to try. I often find quoted thicknesses should be treated as nominal rather than exact. You may find its a better fit than expected.

hi Alli,
thanks for your prompt reply. i get your point about thickness quotes, and yes i bought all the timber and stacked it in the property for six months to aclimatise while getting on with the rest of the fit. i havent bought the Trend cutter yet in case theres an illusive 5.5mm groove version to be had that can handle 25.5mmm stock. i cut a 6.5 groove to test the 5.5mm ply and it feels uncomfortably sloppy to me.

hi Alli,
thanks for your prompt reply. i get your point about thickness quotes, and yes i bought all the timber and stacked it in the property for six months to aclimatise while getting on with the rest of the fit. i havent bought the Trend cutter yet in case theres an illusive 5.5mm groove version to be had that can handle 25.5mmm stock. i cut a 6.5 groove to test the 5.5mm ply and it feels uncomfortably sloppy to me.
Have you considered using a 4 or 5mm Router Bit and take two (or three) cuts to achieve whatever slot width is required? I'm sure that the 5.5mm will not be totally consistant across the whole board.

I need a 'reach' of 50mm for a current project and was able to find a 4mm x 80mm bit with 52mm flutes so there are alternative bits available - maybe not from 'the usual' sources - mine came direct from China via eBay.

Not sure whether they also have 5.5mm, but I recently bought these for an upcoming project...

20230819_101638[1].jpg

"i'm about to order the only router cutter i've found in the UK that cuts 25mm stock, from Trend." any chance of pickies or link?
This is a link to the one I bought 4mm Shank 2 Flute Tungsten Steel Mill Spiral Cutter CNC Router Bits Carving Tool | eBay which is a 4mm with 4mm shank.

Another for a 6mm x 28mm with a 6mm shank - from a UK supplier - Solid Carbide 2 Flute Spiral Router Bit End Mill Up Cut - PVC Acrylic Hard Woods | eBay

There are very many more available with a very quick eBay search

Have you had a look at wealdentools.com They have some panel door sets that are 6mm.

I don't know if its possible, but I wonder if you could change the bearing and groover for 5.5mm. I seem to remember one of the router bits I bought came with shims and different size bearing to dial in, and adjust the cutting depth - not a panel and door set but there are often adjustments that can be made. Again a call to Wealden might put you on the right tract.

thats okay mate - i should have started with style and rail in the description!
Hmmm . . . I did wonder why you needed a 25mm deep slot :D

In my case it was a totally different job - a 50mm deep 'pocket'.

Have you had a look at wealdentools.com They have some panel door sets that are 6mm.

I don't know if its possible, but I wonder if you could change the bearing and groover for 5.5mm. I seem to remember one of the router bits I bought came with shims and different size bearing to dial in, and adjust the cutting depth - not a panel and door set but there are often adjustments that can be made. Again a call to Wealden might put you on the right tract.
hi thanks: i'll take a look-see at wealdentools now,,,

i have written to the likes of Trend, Axminster & Rutlands asking if they would be interested in manufacturing a rail and style that can cut a 5.5 groove in 26mm stock to suite the UK market - but still waiting for a reply from any [6weeks].
This has to be a common problem - or are larger framed panels left to the spindle moulder set-ups?
Very frustrating :-(

Back